Remington Model 7 7mm-08 Accuracy Issues

I've got this little old Remington Model 7 my Papaw left me when he passed away a few years back. He bought the gun new around 90-91 and loved this little rifle.  It was my go to gun growing up as a kid and have took plenty of deer with it but missed a bunch too.

I've not hunted with it since before he passed away and now I got it back out and was shooting it a little bit. I'm just wondering what kind of accuracy people is getting outta these little Model 7's? Because this one wont group at all.

I've not cleaned the barrel and honestly dont know when the last time it had been cleaned. It's looking a little dirty. I'm hoping that's the cause of the poor accuracy. I'm going to clean it up good tonight and play around with it some more in a day or two.

It's the CDL Model with the 18.5in barrel and iron sights. Just wondering if I'm expecting to much outta this short barrel. 

Edited by Henry347

^^^ What Garufa said and also check rings and mount screws as well. Hope it tightens up and shoots good groups again. Awesome that you have it either way though. 
Edit****just saw that it has irons so never mind my blabber

Edited by rugerla1
  • Like 1

I took it all apart and cleaned it up good, gotta pick up a couple more boxes of ammo and see if its improved any. Made sure to tighten down the action screws evenly.

Either way it still grouped good enough to take game with effectively, just didn't group as good as my other rifles. At 50 yards with the factory iron sights it was shooting around 2 1/4in 3 shot group. To me that's not that great, but honestly it's been awhile since I've shot iron sights. All my other rimfire and centerfire rifles is scope only.

Either way I'm glad to be able to keep on hunting with his gun. Got alot of memories with it and experience growing up using it. Then got older and started buying my own guns but figured I'd knock the dust off it and put it back to use. Especially since I just started back baiting the hogs on the lease.

Edited by Henry347
  • Like 1

They're cool little guns for sure but would prefer a 20" or 22" barrel honestly. But it is a blast to carry around the woods which is mostly what I'll be using it for. Might mount a decent red dot on it and call it good. Because this gun will never see over a 100 yard shot. I've got the Creedmoor and .300 Win Mag for that. 

Check the barrel inlet in the stock to be sure it's not putting uneven pressure on the barrel. To check, cut a 2" strip of notebook paper, loop it under the barrel in front of the fore end. Attempt to slide the paper between the barrel and channel. If it won't slide  up the channel you have contact points that may effect your accuracy. It could be the wood itself; or over the years dirt and oil can pack down in the channel causing problems. Easy fix is to remove the barreled receiver from the stock and first clean; then sand the high spots using a short wooden dowel and a medium grit sand paper. Don't be too aggressive, but slowly clear the inlet so that at least 1/2 to 2/3's of the barrel is free floating and the NB paper slides easily between the barrel and the stock. Done this many times with my bolt guns and can make a big difference with the thinner tapered barrels. Best of luck

Regards

Rod

• Like 1

I purchased a Savage Axis last fall and am looking forward to shooting and sighting it in soon. It has a Weaver 3X9X40 scope on it. I really like the caliber, from the research I have done. It is very close to the 6.5 Creedmoor in stats. Also got a 308, with the same setup, in the same rifle but am going to give it to my grandson some day.  

Hope you get your Remington straightened out to your liking. 

On 5/29/2020 at 11:24 PM, rodteague said:

Check the barrel inlet in the stock to be sure it's not putting uneven pressure on the barrel. To check, cut a 2" strip of notebook paper, loop it under the barrel in front of the fore end. Attempt to slide the paper between the barrel and channel. If it won't slide  up the channel you have contact points that may effect your accuracy. It could be the wood itself; or over the years dirt and oil can pack down in the channel causing problems. Easy fix is to remove the barreled receiver from the stock and first clean; then sand the high spots using a short wooden dowel and a medium grit sand paper. Don't be too aggressive, but slowly clear the inlet so that at least 1/2 to 2/3's of the barrel is free floating and the NB paper slides easily between the barrel and the stock. Done this many times with my bolt guns and can make a big difference with the thinner tapered barrels. Best of luck

Regards

Rod

The barrel was touching the stock right where the sling swivel stud was. Had about a 1in section that had to be ground down. The paper will slide all the way to the receiver now with no contact. Got a 3-9X40 Vortex coming for it in the mail and we'll see if it improved. Thanks for everybody's input, I've done what I could just gotta wait on the scope now.

• Like 2
50 minutes ago, Henry347 said:

The barrel was touching the stock right where the sling swivel stud was. Had about a 1in section that had to be ground down. The paper will slide all the way to the receiver now with no contact. Got a 3-9X40 Vortex coming for it in the mail and we'll see if it improved. Thanks for everybody's input, I've done what I could just gotta wait on the scope now.

Good catch! Your RM7 chambered in 7mm-08 should be punching one hole groups at 50 yds! At 100-200yds you should expect groups around +/- 1". Thats if you are shooting from a bench rest. I do not have a rest so my 6.5x55 4 shot groups at 100yds are 1-1.5"(usually one flyer) At 200 yds they spread a little more; 2-2.5". I fatigue easily; I know, I'm a wuss. This using a 1.5x Burris scout scope. Floating your barrel as you have done and the 3-9x scope will tighten your groups considerably. As previously mentioned, letting your barrel cool between shots is also good advice. Breath and trigger control are paramount when not using a rest, and don't be in a hurry; take your time. I'm anxious to hear of your results. Aim small, hit small!

Best regards

Rod

Edited by rodteague
  • Like 1