Teaching my wife to back a trailer...

16 minutes ago, Grunt67 said:

When I saw the topic title " Teaching My Wife to back a trailer ", by Greg, I said,now this has got to be good, LOL.

As others have advised, let someone else do it, and live a longer life. JMHO

You volunteering?:no1:

• Admin Team

Best advice I ever got was to put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel so that the trailer turning will match up with the direction the wheel is turning like you’d expect when backing a car.

Small inputs on the wheel with short trailers.

Maybe find  a good double width ramp and practice during the week.

• Like 3
23 hours ago, TomInMN said:

If you do plan to eventually get out and guide, be sure her windows are down and radio are off, be sure she can see you and your hands in her mirrors, and stay well away with a clear escape route so you don't get crushed.

I pull a large box trailer occasionally and my wife usually rides with me. She will spot if I have to back it into a tight space. 

My two best tips on communicating between the spotter and driver. 

First, have the trailer spotter use their phone and call the driver. The driver answers using hands free. You both can talk normally and hear every word. Great two way communication.

Second, if the spotter sees something going wrong, they say STOP and the driver stops immediately. Work out whatever needs to happen next while no vehicles are moving  

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, gary_boom said:

I have a utility trailer that I have pulled with at least 5 different vehicles but my 2017 Tundra will not back it worth a dime but my 2003 Fourrunner does fine. So it’s not me. Has anyone ever had this problem?

When the wheelbase of the tow vehicle is the same or longer than the distance from the rear axle to the trailer axle (essentially the trailer wheelbase), it can be very hard to back up. 

Short tow vehicle + long trailer = easy. 

Long tow vehicle + short trailer = hard. 

Could also be that the hitch on the Tundra is off center, but I wouldn't expect that. Distance from the rear axle to the hitch ball also affects the trailer. A long rear overhang makes backup  more difficult. 

Edited by peejman
  • Like 2
37 minutes ago, gary_boom said:

I have a utility trailer that I have pulled with at least 5 different vehicles but my 2017 Tundra will not back it worth a dime but my 2003 Fourrunner does fine. So it’s not me. Has anyone ever had this problem?

I have not encountered that problem. I've found the short lawnmower trailers and four wheeled cotton wagons among the hardest trailers to back. I haven't found one vehicle any more difficult than the next. Different, but not more difficult.

2 hours ago, peejman said:

Short tow vehicle + long trailer = easy. 

Long tow vehicle + short trailer = hard. 

Could not agree more. I have a log splitter that is very short, I would say less than 4 feet from the ball of the log splitter to the axel. I cannot back that Thang up to save my life. I have to get out unhitch it and move it around.

Edited by RED333
Because I can
54 minutes ago, RED333 said:

Could not agree more. I have a log splitter that is very short, I would say less than 4 feet from the ball of the log splitter to the axel. I cannot back that Thang up to save my life. I have to get out unhitch it and move it around.

I have the same issue.  When I put it behind my flatbed I can't even see it.  

On a serious note, I've done a lot of towing over the years with loads of all different sizes.  Learning to back using my mirrors was the single best thing that I ever learned to do to help backing a trailer easier. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, 10-Ring said:

On a serious note, I've done a lot of towing over the years with loads of all different sizes.  Learning to back using my mirrors was the single best thing that I ever learned to do to help backing a trailer easier. 

I learned to use the mirrors when I got a CDL. Turns out the view ain’t real good out the back glass of a dump truck.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, 10-Ring said:

I've no idea how people manage tiny trailers they can't see. I should probably learn to use my mirrors more than I do, but my utility trailer is 4ft wide and hard to see in the side mirrors until it's already headed the wrong way. Its got a rear ramp gate that I can more easily see when looking over my shoulder. 

When we went boating a lot, I’d back down til I could tie the boat the dock. Let her get in. Then take off the tow straps and eye strap. I’d back up, launch the boat and let her “drive it” back to pick me up. If things went wrong, I’d grab the rope and pull it home. Without a dock, none of this works. 

On 6/6/2020 at 9:55 AM, gregintenn said:

Negative.

Bring her down here to Cleveland your wife and mine can figure it out together. We have a 34 ft 5th wheel and a 1,100 ft driveway that I back down, down the hill and around the curve out onto a sort of narrow dead end with large drop offs on each side. 

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, buck1032 said:

Bring her down here to Cleveland your wife and mine can figure it out together. We have a 34 ft 5th wheel and a 1,100 ft driveway that I back down, down the hill and around the curve out onto a sort of narrow dead end with large drop offs on each side. 

I’ve been down that driveway, you’re a braver man than me. 

28 minutes ago, dralarms said:

I’ve been down that driveway, you’re a braver man than me. 

Haha, it isnt fun when "help" is provided. I prefer to back that 5th wheel down all my my lonesome. Then its a race. I like to do it in under 2:30 seconds. :) When help is provided (wife/son) it takes at least 5 mintues.

• Haha 1
On 6/7/2020 at 7:54 PM, buck1032 said:

When help is provided (wife/son) it takes at least 5 mintues.

Sounds like my poor brother-in-law. 1st time they came in with their brand new camper, his wife directed him right into a telephone pole. To say he wasn't a happy camper was a huge understatement.

• Haha 2