HELP! What did I do wrong?

Hey ya'll so I recently did a deep clean on my AR-15. Put back together and the upper won't match up with the lower. I cannot find anything out of place and have no idea what I am missing and why it won't match up. Any things ya'll can think of the check would be great!

I figured it out. I had tightened the buffer tube too far and it was rubbing the upper. I loosened a rotation cranked down the castle nut (of course lost a spring in the process of releasing the face plate back) and they fit like a glove. I still swear I had it that many rotations before I had cleaned but oh well.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, MKALDRICH said:

I figured it out. I had tightened the buffer tube too far and it was rubbing the upper. I loosened a rotation cranked down the castle nut (of course lost a spring in the process of releasing the face plate back) and they fit like a glove. I still swear I had it that many rotations before I had cleaned but oh well.

Good catch!!!

13 hours ago, Garufa said:

I still wanna see pics, lol.  There’s only so far you can screw the thing in before the springy retainer catches it, right?  :P

Well there should be.   This whole thing is terribly confusing. 

1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

Shouldn't the Buffer Detent Pin stop the buffer tube from going in so far it won't close? 

One would think.   Only way it wouldn't, that I can think of is if the buffer tube isn't made correctly. 

Alright giving you all the update you deserve:

-It was probably about a centimeter too far.

-The actual buffer was being stopped by the pin but the tube was what caught, again just barely off

-I don't normally clean buffer tube but after every 2000 rounds I do a deep clean meaning replacing all little springs and just essentially completely take apart visually inspect all pieces and rebuild. This may be over the top but I would rather this every once and a while then have fails with no idea what happened.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Magiccarpetrides said:

I envy the fact you shoot that much I probably don’t have 2000 rds on any of my guns.

Sounds like you don't have the proper priorities... :) I actually shoot a lot less than I use to.    Some of that is due to being in conservation mode given today's climate.   

Edited by Trekbike
34 minutes ago, MKALDRICH said:

Over all guns I shoot 1500 on average every month

I guess there's no little reaction icon for pure envy. But that's what I feel. I haven't done 1500 rounds total over the last 5ish years.

But, family time, work, projects around the house (one of which is the house) are taking precedence for now. And I'm okay with that.

3 minutes ago, TomInMN said:

I guess there's no little reaction icon for pure envy. But that's what I feel. I haven't done 1500 rounds total over the last 5ish years.

But, family time, work, projects around the house (one of which is the house) are taking precedence for now. And I'm okay with that.

It helps to live 6 minutes from my range and with right now being home every day I have been there 4 days a week. I just got a 22 cause I have been shooting through so much ammo.

• Like 1
On 5/30/2020 at 2:22 PM, Sunfish said:

Get yourself some firecrackers and you won't even have to go to the range. Just shoot them out the front door 

Or live in the woods and shoot in your yard!! Killed a large carpenter bee yesterday with my .357 rice loads!!