Bill to carry guns without permit passes Tennessee House committee vote despite pleas from Memphis leaders

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — A bill that would allow Tennesseans to carry guns without a permit passed its first hurdle in the state capitol, after the Memphis police director told lawmakers it would be detrimental to the city’s safety

Memphis Police Director Michael Rallings went to Nashville to express his concern to lawmakers,
but it didn’t work.

“With masks and guns, it will appear to be the wild, wild West,” Rallings said.

The bill would allow Tennesseans 21 and older, or a military member between 18 and 20, to go armed without a permit. It sparked hours of discussion Tuesday in the House Judiciary Committee, where it ultimately passed.

Shelby County Crime Commission President Bill Gibbons said he’s nervous about what it could mean for convicted felons.

“They will be emboldened to carry firearms even more and openly, because they know there is no basis for police to stop them and ask if they have a permit,” Gibbons said.

Rallings also addressed lawmakers, saying he believes permitless carry will increase violence at a time when violent crime is up 5% in the Bluff City, aggravated assaults and shootings up 8% and murders up 30%. He said 90% of the murders so far this year were committed with firearms.

He also told lawmakers he thinks it will endanger the lives of your men and women on the MPD force.

“I fully believe in our Second Amendment right; however, I am against illegal guns,” Rallings explained Wednesday. “By moving forward with this law, we are going in the wrong direction.”

Rallings released a further statement Wednesday, saying:

I went before the House Judiciary Committee yesterday, standing up for the safety of all the citizens of Tennessee.  I am not against guns, and I fully believe in our Second Amendment right; however, I am against illegal guns and guns that are being used to kill kids and law-abiding citizens. We are losing too many lives to gun violence. By moving forward with this law, we are going in the wrong direction.   The last thing Tennessee needs is gun legislation that will allow the permitless carry of handguns, concealed or unconcealed, without a permit. We have a permit process in place. We should leave the system as is which requires training and a background check. Maintaining these guidelines is crucial for everyone’s safety.

Kat McRitchie with Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America said it’s extremely frustrating to see the legislature take up bills that she says are not essential bills in this coronavirus pandemic.
“The permitting system is our mechanism as citizens, to demonstrate what responsible carrying looks like,” she said.

But others disagree, like state Rep. Bruce Griffey (R-Paris).

“I do not think it’s proper for this legislative body to tell a law abiding citizen that you have to go do something extra to protect yourself, your family and your home,” Griffey said.

The bill also contains a part that would stiffen penalties for stealing a gun, making it a felony and mandating a six-month sentence.

Gibbons said the crime commission would support that part of the bill.

Supporters of the bill feel like it will only be a around a $3 million loss for the state. Gibbons felt like that was too optimistic and thinks it’s going to be more around $20 million.

The bill has more hurdles to cross before it becomes law. It next goes to House Finance Committee.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Always the same things said, "I am not against guns, and I fully believe in our Second Amendment right; however, I am against illegal guns and guns that are being used to kill kids and law-abiding citizens." and "Shelby County Crime Commission President Bill Gibbons said he’s nervous about what it could mean for convicted felons.“They will be emboldened to carry firearms even more and openly, because they know there is no basis for police to stop them and ask if they have a permit,” Gibbons said.

With no regard to how many have been saved by a good guy with a gun.

• Like 2

This is probably the best shot that Tennessee citizens have had at permitless carry in the past ten years.  

If the supporters in the House are sharp, when this goes to the finance committee they will point out that the fiscal loss will be minimal because the majority of people will still pay a fee and obtain a permit to get the benefit of reciprocity in other states.

Edited by Wheelgunner
Spelling
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Wheelgunner said:

This is probably the best shot that Tennessee citizens have had at permitless carry in the past ten years.  

If the supporters in the House are sharp, when this goes to the finance committee they will point out that the fiscal loss will be minimal because the majority of people will still pay a fee and obtain a permit to get the benefit of reciprocity in other states.

That would be me!

• Like 1

I see the 2nd amendment will not infringe part of the arguement but honestly I think this isn’t the best idea our state has ever had...of course me already having a lifetime permit might be a bit biased that other people don’t even have to pass a dumbass exam or shoot a blimp at 7 meters like I did. 🤦‍♂️

• Like 2
4 hours ago, krunchnik said:

Permitless carry is just a better word for Constitutional carry-is it not??

Not really, but permitless carry is a more accurate name for this bill. There are still too many remaining restrictions not addressed by this bill to consider it constitutional carry.  

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Magiccarpetrides said:

I see the 2nd amendment will not infringe part of the arguement but honestly I think this isn’t the best idea our state has ever had...of course me already having a lifetime permit might be a bit biased that other people don’t even have to pass a dumbass exam or shoot a blimp at 7 meters like I did. 🤦‍♂️

It's no longer a fringe idea though. 16 states allow people to carry without a permit. Vermont has been like this for many decades and it's not been an issue. If you think about it, the people that were going to carry without a permit are doing it and the rest of us go get a permit. It's not like the current system is really stopping anyone from carrying a concealed gun. I'd love to see us switch to constitutional carry. The current class is a joke anyways. 

"As of November 1, 2019, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, North Dakota (residents only; concealed carry only), Oklahoma, South Dakota, Vermont, West Virginia and Wyoming (residents only) do not require a permit to carry a loaded concealed firearm for any person of age who is not prohibited from owning a firearm. Permitless carry in North Dakota and Wyoming is applicable to residents only; nonresidents must have a permit to carry a concealed handgun in these states. All aforementioned jurisdictions do not require a permit to openly carry either except for North Dakota and certain localities in Missouri."

14 hours ago, The Legion said:

He said 90% of the murders so far this year were committed with firearms.

Oh yeah. And who exactly is committing these murders? 🤔

Hint-not the people that are going to sign up for a carry permit class and they probably wouldn't legally qualify even if they tried. 

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Memphis is a democratic, liberal cesspool. That's why its in the butt hole of the state. Rallings is a political flunky and lap dog. He's never impressed me at all. :censored: 

In the eternal battle of Nashville vs. Memphis, I’d say Memphis is looking pretty good these days.  

• Like 4
12 hours ago, Erik88 said:

It's not like the current system is really stopping anyone from carrying a concealed gun.

Exactly.  

Leftist politician: "Those law abiding persons who carry should be required to have a permit; that way, the law will prevent felons from perpetrating violent crimes."

Me: "Dude, do you understand what felons are?  They're people who already have a proven track record of doing stuff the law 'prevents'."

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, tnhawk said:

In view of the current crime rate in Memphis, it seems Rallings and Gibbons are more interested in protecting criminals than law abiding citizens.

Unfortunately, that seems to be a common view for a lot of folks.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, tnhawk said:

In view of the current crime rate in Memphis, it seems Rallings and Gibbons are more interested in protecting criminals than law abiding citizens.

You have to service the needs of your constituency if you wish to stay in office. 

• Haha 1
17 hours ago, Garufa said:

In the eternal battle of Nashville vs. Memphis, I’d say Memphis is looking pretty good these days.  

I see no disernible difference between the two cities anymore. Both have high crime rates and are liberal bastions within this great state.  Memphis has just been going about it a lot longer and the power elite there are more entrenched and possibly more corrupt. That last not may not be totally true, though. Together, both will end up turning Tennesee Blue, before too much longer.

7 hours ago, Moped said:

I see no disernible difference between the two cities anymore. Both have high crime rates and are liberal bastions within this great state.  Memphis has just been going about it a lot longer and the power elite there are more entrenched and possibly more corrupt. That last not may not be totally true, though. Together, both will end up turning Tennesee Blue, before too much longer.

That is so sad, but I fear it's true.  It's too bad Wyoming is so damn cold in the winter!

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Moped said:

Memphis has BBQ, blues, rock, and soul.  Nashville has 840 to get around it.  :lol:

Memphis has not always been some liberal ####hole actually.  When people that could make a difference started moving outside of the city limits, well, see what has happened in every other city in the country.

• Like 4
13 hours ago, Garufa said:

When people that could make a difference started moving outside of the city limits, well, see what has happened in every other city in the country.

That would be the people that are tired of all the drive by shootings and other cesspool activities. That is why when you go into the country you see signs that say I don't call 911, I am 911!!  Hence the reason, not many days go by that I don't hear gunshots or make gunshots. Already this morning I heard 4 or 5 and it wasn't a drive by shooting either.