AR pistol question(s)

I'm sure they've been addressed here somewhere, but I suck at searching. So here goes:

First, I have more than two AR Carbines, next is an AR pistol. This question regards legal issues. I have a BRAND NEW, complete, never attached multi-cal PISTOL lower receiver. If I buy a BRAND NEW, never attached PISTOL length upper, anywhere from say 7.5" to 10", what do I need to do legally? Stamp? Form 1?  Anything at all? I don't THINK this configuration is an SBR, am I correct?

Second, the AR's I have are .223/5.56 only. I have WASR's, no desire for a 7.62x39 AR. I also have no 300 Blackout guns in any configuration. I may/may not buy a 300 Blackout upper (carbine length) for one of my AR's, time will tell. For THIS thought experiment, should I use this pistol length lower for a pistol length .223/5.56 or 300 Blackout gun? It WILL be a pistol length upper, the question is ONLY caliber. The other consideration here is barrel length, doest it make a significant difference from 7. 5" to 10" or so? To be clear, this will be a "Get outta Dodge" type gun slash range toy, I have no plans for anything more complicated than a decent holo/red-dot and a max range of 50 yards or so. 

Hopefully this all makes sense... 

As long as the lower was put on the book as a other or pistol you are good to go. No such thing as a "pistol upper" just a short barrel. That is what is cool about the AR 15 platform, take it apart and rebuild as you want. as long as a rifle stays a rifle you are good to go. The only AR I have is a 300 BLK pistol that I changed to 223 by just changing the barrel.

Here is where you might get into trouble, making a rifle lower into a pistol, as well as putting a "stock" on a pistol. With more than 1 AR 15 in the house and get into trouble with the law, a search is done and you just might get hit with "intent" to build a SBR with what you have on hand. Remember, pistol 16 inch or shorter barrel, Rifle is 16 plus inches. Shotgun is 18 plus inches unless you get you one of these.

shockwave small.jpg

On 6/2/2020 at 10:38 PM, RED333 said:

As long as the lower was put on the book as a other or pistol you are good to go.

A lower is a receiver. A receiver is always to be listed as "other firearm" on a 4473. All receivers, whether new or used. Stripped or complete. Whether there is a butt stock or brace attached or not.  Whether it is lawful for a pistol build or not.

That said, what an FFL correctly or incorrectly marks on a 4473 does not ultimately determine the legal classification of a firearm, nor the legality of any given future configuration of it.

On 6/2/2020 at 10:38 PM, RED333 said:

... That is what is cool about the AR 15 platform, take it apart and rebuild as you want. as long as a rifle stays a rifle you are good to go.

A firearm first configured as a rifle stays a rifle. First configured as a handgun, it may go back and forth between handgun and rifle.

- OS

• Like 2