Buford Tune Passed Away

I actually took my HCP class with Buford a long time ago. I didn’t agree with some of his teachings/methods but he was a great guy nonetheless. He always made a point to speak to me any time I saw him out. He was known and respected by many and always treated me like I’d known him my whole life. RIP Buford and thoughts and prayers for his family. 

Like Luckyforward, I took my carry permit classes with Buford as well. Also had a lot of face time with him in the 90s when he ran security at Hickory Hollow Mall. (In those days, it actually was a very nice place.)

I was running a seasonal store there for about 6 years, and we met when I had a shoplifter in the shop. We struck up a casual friendship after that. He would usually stop in just before closing and chat over a cup of coffee with me. During one of those little chats, I found that he knew my brother-in-law. That opened up a whole new avenue of conversations for us. lol

He asked me one night, very casually..."Do you have a pistol with you?" I know it's against mall policy, but with the hours and leaving at night...I figure you do.

Of course, he said...smiling, you really shouldn't. But just in case you're thinking about something like this. I run a carry permit class.

Well, the rest is history, as they say. Took the class with him, got abused for bringing a new pistol I'd just bought to the class. Laughed at because I didn't buy a Beretta.

And just generally was used as the whipping boy for the class. He used me as an example for most of the "How would you do this?" questions. But I thoroughly enjoyed the class.

Bought my first safe from Buford when he had that tiny little shop on Murfreesboro Road. But sort of lost touch after my shop closed and he got busy with his own life.

Yes...Buford Tune was a character. But also a man of character. It's a shame that he will be forever know as "That Guy" who shot his pinky off in front of a class. He deserves better.

But I think he probably laughed it off later.

Rest In Peace, Officer Tune.

• Like 2

Knew Buford and had many of his classes since 1990,he was one of a kind. Had buddies ask me if it would be a good HCP Class for them and wife and I would say yes,he can be crude but you will learn more than any trainers combined. He had been there and done that. Seen him a couple weeks after he shot a hole in his finger,but not off as somebody here said. It was a striker fired gun which he hated but not a Glock. Someone brought it in loaded and it malfunctioned during a class demo.  Talked to him a few months ago and he had APPS up for sale and wanting to retire.

Edited by Will
spelling
  • Like 2
On 6/2/2020 at 10:39 PM, hipower said:

Yes...Buford Tune was a character. But also a man of character. It's a shame that he will be forever know as "That Guy" who shot his pinky off in front of a class. He deserves better.

Very well said, hipower . . . 

Buford's mode of teaching was confrontational and funny, but never belittling.  There was "method in his madness" as in his provocation he always reminded people that getting angry is one thing, but pulling out a gun is another and it was our responsibility to keep anger and firearms separate.  He did a great job of teaching the liability that comes with carrying a firearm.

• Like 2

I've carried a handgun professionally and personally all of my adult life.  Thought I knew it all about shooting and self defense.  Took Buford's HCP class back in the 90's for the first HCP.  Actually learned a lot form him.  As others have said here and elsewhere, he was a character and I found him a tad bit arrogant, but despite that, I liked him we kept in contact all these years, and I respected both his career and his character.  RIP.

• Like 2