39A/1897 parts gun project completed

I really appreciate being retired when I have time to slap various parts together and save a fine old gun from the parts bin, a true labor of love.  In this particular case, I spotted this marked "ORIGINAL GOLDEN 39A" parts set at everygunpart.com about a year ago and jumped on it. I thought it weird that to make this a non gun, all they did was cut the tangs off the lower receiver half. Who am I to argue what constitutes a transferable frame  :shrug: . The set was also missing the butt stock, bolt assembly and inner mag tube but figured those can all be found eventual. As for the cut up frame, Numrich had Marlin 1897 straight grip frames (no FFL) so I got one and integrated it into the 39a upper. Straightened out the curved lever to match the straight tang and I was off to building a 39 that would be configured like an old world gun. I shortened the fat forend by 3" and put it on a disc grinder diet. Shortened the barrel to 17" and put 1/2x28 threads on it in case I ever spring for a can.  The butt stock is an unknown from Ebay that is an odd ball since it was hollow between the tang cuts and was made with a threw bolt instead of tang screw attachment. No idea what it came off of but it was a bit over sized to the Marlin tangs so it inletted good and fits pretty good. Luckily, the microgroove bore was mint end to end and cut down with the lite butt stock this puppy weighs in at exactly 5 lbs. The full size 39A I have next to it is 7.5 lbs as you see it. A tank by comparison. Every 39 I ever target shot, shot very well with most any ammo. The group you see is 40' with that cheap Federal 550 pack of hi vels Walmart used to sell for $17.99 before the great ammo drought of a few years back. That stuff is not prime target ammo but the microgrooves like it. After I dialed it in at center, the 2" red dot has 2 mag loads in it totaling 24 shots.
LhWRUz1l.jpg
MlWCmwHl.jpg
rNsx7fjl.jpg
7nmSVS2l.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, MacGyver said:

I know it’s probably heresy, but I think I like the Frankenstein version more than the original.  

LOL same thing I said as soon as I saw the pic. Don't get me wrong I'm a Marlin purist and while their 22's are second to none they are heavy for what they are. Thanks @xtriggerman now I have another one to add to the "what if" list.

43 minutes ago, xtriggerman said:

Yeah, I'm with you guys!  I think the Golden Mountie was the closest to my chop job but have you seen what they are asking for one IF you can find one? Gezzzz....

I've seen $2000 marlins in the past year. Never thought I'd see that when I started collecting or I'd bought more lol

1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

What a great way to spend some spare time! I’d be proud to own that little rifle.

Me too!

And as Ronald_55 said...very glad to see a great rifle resurrected from the dirt of a parts bin.