Am I allowed to buy a rifle if I went to alcohol detox 5 years ago?

Just now, JiffyCorn said:

I went to detox (not rehab) in a hospital voluntarily because I'd withdrawl severely if I didn't drink

So then listen to Dave.  I don't know of any law that prohibits you from buying anything. 

8 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

What makes you think you can’t buy a handgun? Is there some court action that will show up on a background check?

Do you have to answer YES to any questions 11 b-i on this 4473 form?

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/4473-part-1-firearms-transaction-record-over-counter-atf-form-53009/download

It was my understanding that under TN law, if you've been to rehab or hospitalized for alcohol addiction, you couldn't get a permit for 10 years 

I can answer no to all 11b-i questions

Just now, JiffyCorn said:

It was my understanding that under TN law, if you've been to rehab or hospitalized for alcohol addiction, you couldn't get a permit for 10 years 

A permit has nothing to do with buying a firearm. 

• Like 1

I had an issue with prescription pills for 2 years after having multiple back surgeries. I went to 2 treatment centers/ detox in a year. I’m 3 years clean now by the grace of God and a program I work daily. Anyways.. I’ve never had an issue buying firearms since then. 

• Like 8
  • 1 month later...
On 6/4/2020 at 7:39 AM, JiffyCorn said:

I'm pretty sure you can get a permit too.

Is an unlawful user of or addicted to alcohol or any controlled substance and has been a patient in a rehabilitation program or hospitalized for alcohol or controlled substance abuse or addiction pursuant to a court order within ten years from the date of application ; or has been a voluntary patient in a rehabilitation program or hospitalized for alcohol or controlled substance abuse or addiction within three years from the date of application.

So unless your stay was less than 3 years ago, you can get a permit, 10 years is only if a court ordered you to go to rehab.

Has been convicted of driving under the influence of an intoxicant in this or any other state two or more times within ten years from the date of application and the convictions occurred within five years from the date of application or renewal

Or this.

Edited by JayC