What's the best pistol for concealed carry?

I think that you could ask 10 people that question and get 10 different answers.  For me, after buying and trying a bunch of different ones, I fell in love with the Kimber Micro 9.  It just does it for me.  

• Like 2

Yep, for every person the answer is different. You have to take into consideration your size, body type, how you will carry, how you dress, activities, possible threats, etc and so on. What may be perfect for one person could be completely wrong for someone else. 

I have three guns that I primarily carry depending on the situation and what I'm doing. A Colt lightweight Commander .45acp, a Colt Mustang XSP .380 and a S&W 642 .38 Special. And occasionally, something completely different depending on the circumstances. There is no pat answer. 

• Like 3

As posted above everyone ideas will be different. I recommend the S&W M&P Shield for concealability. I wouldn’t recommend the Shield EZ; too many shooters have had problems. Or if you can stand a bigger gun with more rounds, the M&P Compact 4” M2.0.

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Beinglis23 said:

What's the best 9mm pistol for concealed carry and Self Defense? I just want to know which 9MM pistol is best for self defense . I run fish farm in a remote area I need to buy good quality gun.

There's a marked difference between "the best" and a "good quality" pistol.  The former is an opinion of skeptical validity, and the latter is a wide ranging choice of options that meet the criteria.

The right gun is one you're comfortable with (grip, weight, maintenance), will stay proficient with, and will carry with you.  That could be any number of options, so you need to shoot different guns until you find one that strikes your fancy.

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 4

I honestly don't know.  I rotate through three pistols right now and sometimes throw in a fourth, depending on the situation.  Today alone, I've carried two different pistols. The best is very subjective.  The best for you is the one you like, will shoot and practice with, as others have said.

• Like 1

I will say I have had a LOT of CC pistols and the only one I have ever had that was pleasant enough to range shoot and also daily carry has been my Sig P365...my 2nd favorite carry is my HK USP45compact but it dwarfes the sig and isn't really comfortable for summer wear.  I highly recommend the Sig P365 (non XL)...its shockingly comfortable to practice with.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Beinglis23 said:

What's the best 9mm pistol for concealed carry and Self Defense? I just want to know which 9MM pistol is best for self defense . I run fish farm in a remote area I need to buy good quality gun.

I see that you're a new member and apparently new to the concept of concealed carry. 

My suggestion is that you find a nearby class for your HCP (Handgun Carry Permit). The instructor will help you find a firearm that best suits your situation. You can start at your LGS (Local Gun Store). I don't know the owner, but if you're in Lafayette, there's a LGS called R Tac. Go by and chat with the owner/clerk. The staff in gun stores are typically knowledgeable and helpful... not high pressure at all. They'll recommend a class for you. 

When our house was broken into shortly after moving to Tennessee 20 years ago, I found an HCP class immediately and signed up that weekend. I didn't even have a handgun. I borrowed one from the instructor. That was a good move because I learned a lot in the class. I mean, a lot. It's not like on TV. A good instructor will cover the law, what you shouldn't do, what you should do when stopped in a car, etc. It's well worth the investment. 

• Like 2

Like some other comments, there is not an absolute best carry weapon, as for me, I carry a Sig P365 and sometimes  Kimber Micro 9. They work well for me. Good luck in finding the right weapon for you.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Magiccarpetrides said:

I will say I have had a LOT of CC pistols and the only one I have ever had that was pleasant enough to range shoot and also daily carry has been my Sig P365...my 2nd favorite carry is my HK USP45compact but it dwarfes the sig and isn't really comfortable for summer wear.  I highly recommend the Sig P365 (non XL)...its shockingly comfortable to practice with.

Yep, I'm a P365 convert as well.    Transitioned from a Shield and really like the extra round count.   

• Like 1

For me it's a Kahr pm 40 for deep concealment. For times when I think I need extra round count it's a Beretta 92.

Truly it's whatever you're most comfortable with. Even a .22 beats nothing.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Trekbike said:

Yep, I'm a P365 convert as well.    Transitioned from a Shield and really like the extra round count.   

How would you compare the felt recoil between the Shield and the 365?

I like the idea of the higher capacity. But starting to have arthritis in my right hand, especially on the back of the thumb. 

I would have answered the OP's question by saying the 43x, but it was painful for me to fire.

Actually surprised to not see it mentioned here? Has it fallen from favor and I didn't hear about it?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, tnhawk said:

I prefer a 1911 but conditions usually make more practical to carry a Shield or P938.  If there were a "best pistol" I wouldn't have a safe full of different models.

Same for all of us. :)

15 hours ago, hipower said:

How would you compare the felt recoil between the Shield and the 365?

I like the idea of the higher capacity. But starting to have arthritis in my right hand, especially on the back of the thumb. 

I would have answered the OP's question by saying the 43x, but it was painful for me to fire.

Actually surprised to not see it mentioned here? Has it fallen from favor and I didn't hear about it?

I would say the 365 is very shootable.  It's hard to really give you a comparison since I had one of the (15) .40 cal Shields in the country.   🙂.    So I changed from 16 rnds of .40 with a spare +1 mag, to 28 rnds of 9 mm with the 12 rnd mag in the gun and the 15 rnd spare mag.   

7 hours ago, Trekbike said:

I would say the 365 is very shootable.  It's hard to really give you a comparison since I had one of the (15) .40 cal Shields in the country.   🙂.    So I changed from 16 rnds of .40 with a spare +1 mag, to 28 rnds of 9 mm with the 12 rnd mag in the gun and the 15 rnd spare mag.   

"...(15) .40cal Shields" lol. I shot one...once. It hurt even before I really started having these issues. But I must admit that I like the idea on principle. Just not in practice.

Guess I'll just have to call a halt to my love of lightweight pocket pistols. I haven't tried some of my FS poly guns yet, just several metal frames. I seem to be ok with them. So far.

Hey...I might even go to carrying a Hipower. Maybe even that Kareen I just got. lol

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1