What's the best pistol for concealed carry?

I used to really love glocks. I still do. I bought a M&P Shield 9mm about a year ago that was on sale at Academy and I reach for it about 90% of the time now. It’s accurate, slim, light weight, conceals nicely, shoots every time, and feels great in my hand. It’s a very sweet EDC.

My concealed carry is a Kimber Micro .380 in my front right pocket and Beretta APX outside the waistband at 845-9 o'clock position.

My attire allows me to carry a full size all the time; the risk of flashing and certain restrictions force to me to stow the APX and pocket carry only.

As others have urged, spend the money for a good belt and avoid budget, universal fit holsters.

How concealed? You mention rural. If weight doesn't bother you and printing is less of a concern, bigger can be better.

Longer sight radius, more bullets, more gun to hold on to, etc.

What's your budget?

From $300+ in $100 increments, there's a bunch of choices, especially if you will consider pre-owned.

Good luck!

Edited by A.J. Holst
  • Like 1

Well, I guess I will join in on this.....

I own many of the handguns mentioned in this thread, but I have to say that my overall favorite is the Springfield Armory XDs.  It is very well made and very thin and concealable.  Only .9 inch wide so good for exterior or IWB holster.  Plus, you can get it in not only 9 mm but also in .45 in same physical size.  The latter is the caliber that I carry.  I love having .45 cal power in such a small package.  Very rugged as I have placed nearly 1,500 rounds through it with no problems.

Oh, and I carry mine when I ride my horse also...……...

Good luck.

xds 1.JPG

• Like 3

As others have said..."It really depends". 

It depends on how much you want to spend. Are you looking to spend $1250? $750 ? $450 ? $350 ? A decent to good to excellent quality 9mm can be had depending on what you are willing to spend. 

It depends on how big a gun you are looking to carry. There is a big difference between a Kahr CM9 and a Beretta 92 or a Glock 34. Some of us actually carry full sized guns like Glock 17s and 34s on a daily basis but those of us that do that are far from the typical gun carrier. Most people are interested in carrying a gun that is "easy to carry". I'm interested in carrying a gun that is easy to fight with. A fire extinguisher that only puts out tiny camp fires is a not the best thing to have when the house is burning down.....

It also depends on what type of action you prefer. Striker fired with polymer frame? That's going to get you in the game at a lower price. A 1911 that has been "tricked out" ? A LOT more expensive. Traditional DA/SA? More expensive than the Striker fired gun but less than the 1911.  

It also to some degree depends on your skill level. If you are a new shooter you might not be capable of doing your best work with a tiny gun. For that matter most seasoned shooters are going to shoot a mid sized or compact pistol much better than a subcompact. A new shooter and a Beretta Nano was a recipe for frustration in a class I taught several years ago. Tiny guns are easier to carry but much harder to shoot well especially at speed under stress. On the other hand if you have won the Back Up Gun division at a regional IDPA match then you probably aren't going to lose a fight because you can't shoot your Glock 43 well enough.... but again those guys are not the typical gun carrier either. 

Again, it all depends.   

• Like 2

Beinglis23: I hope we haven't run you off. I know this can be a bit overwhelming. But there are a lot of factors to consider. 

Perhaps if you give us a little more information to work with, we can better help to guide you in you right direction.

Are you new to handguns? How do you intend to carry? I know you said 9mm, but have you considered a revolver? Anything you can tell us will help. ;)