Rail Cutting Jig for 1911/2011 Frame

Hey there, new to this forum, happy to be here!

I've been wanting to get into building my own 2011s for a bit now, I don't think I'm gonna shake the bug :)
I'm a software engineer professionally, not a mechanical engineer or a gunsmith, but I've always loved taking things apart and building them (taught myself how to build p2p guitar amps etc).

I've been eyeing 2011s for a bit now, and love learning about how they work, what component/configuration changes affect different aspects of shooting etc. And I'm realizing that the best way to scratch both the engineering and shooting itches that I have is to build them myself.

I'll start with mostly premade parts (I'd always bu grips and barrels etc) but eventually I'd like to use a mill and lathe to build from scratch.

Anyways, long story short, does anyone in the Memphis area have a 2011 frame and slide cutting jig that they'd be willing to let me borrow or sell me? I'd like to see and potentially use one in person before I choose which one to buy. 

If not I'm sure I can either use a file and hand sand/polish, but I figured I'd ask :) 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you talking about building a frame and slide from a raw chunk of steel?  :confused:

Honestly, I be really surprised if such a jig even exists. Frames and slides these days are generally made on very expensive CNC machines. Way beyond the scope of a hobbyist. I do believe that 80% 1911 frames are still available. Don't think I seen one for a 2011. You could go with that, if you can find one. For a 2011, you can go with a modular frame and add a grip section to it. 

The 1911 is an easy pistol to build from parts. But a good 1911 requires that you know and understand the various little tweaks to get the most out of it. 

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply, I'm sorry that I missed this and for my slow response! 

I'm wanting to start from a premade frame and slide, with sigh cuts etc. I'd want to minimize and or avoid any metal fitting for this first build, so if I can get the fitted barrel as a set that would be awesome. However, in the event that I can't find a good deal for that, I'm considering just ordering the parts and having a gunsmith help with some of the work that I feel uncomfortable doing. 

Building a serviceable 1911 from parts is quite doable for a hobbyist gunsmith. There are many articles and videos on the net to teach you how. Its just a matter of picking the parts you want and putting them together.

However, building a good 1911 requires knowledge and experience. Like I said, there are tricks and tweaks to fitting parts just right. For example, you mentioned a fitted barrel set. What the usually means is the barrel and bushing are fitted together. However, they are cut in a generic way to fit most standard 1911s with little to no fitting.  True proper fitting of a barrel and bushing to the slide is something of an art. The frame to slide fit isn't near as critical as most people think. In fact, too tight a fit can cause problems.  The trick is to get the barrel to lock up in the exact same position every time. That's the real key to accuracy. 

Trigger work is a whole nother category which requires patience and finesse. Also are fitting things like the extractor. firing pin stop and safeties. Its the little things that make the difference between a decent 1911 and an excellent 1911. 

But don't let that put you off. The way to learn is to jump in there and go for it.  I recommend you get a copy of Jerry Kuhnhausen's book on the 1911. It'll teach you how and why the parts work together and how they should be properly fit. There are also books on building super accurate competition guns. 

Go for it Dude! :up:

Edited by Grayfox54

I like the idea of paperless handguns & no SN so I bough a pair of the frames off the red back ground from here

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Keywords=1911 frame stainless

Mated top end sets from here

https://everygunpart.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?cat=31&q=1911++

And ended up with these. Seems all the good deal go fast so you need to look just before a holiday sale when they will Email you their holiday sale of usualy 20% off & free shipping.  Keep in mind the stainless 80 % frames need integral ramped barrels. most part sets come with the old style non ramped barrels. But Ebay can fix that or any other parts seller. I milled the frame rails on a small bench top mill and used a AO frame clamped over the 80% one to drill the hammer & sear holes as a pattern guide.  All pretty easy, but then I set up the 1911A1 production line at Auto Ordnance back in 81 and had the fun filled Fridays of test firing the week's 1911 production run in the test tank. :)  4000 pistols latter, I quit.

POiCkyjh.jpg