Buying it cheap and stacking it deep!!!

Ammo and or reloading supplies, components for making your own. Seems we may have the need to use it, if things keep on going the way they are. If the zealots don't accept the results of this Nov. elections like they did the last one could get pretty exciting around the big cities this fall and winter. Ammo will be a valuable commodity.

Man, a bit late to do that at good deals. Maybe it will settle out some between now and then. Though I would have to try REALLY hard to shoot up all my ammo. Plus I don't even reload and I have bought some primers now and again just in case. If all else fails you can cast and load with homemade black powder. 

• Like 1

Nutjobs on both the left and the right are warning that the evil "other side" won't accept the results of the election and suggesting that perhaps one should buy ammo.  Meanwhile, as Ronald_55 just noted, anyone who was paying attention has been laying up supplies for years....  :)

• Like 4

I feel somewhat comfortable with my supply on most calibers, but really wish I'd bought more back around this past Christmas when things were reasonable to great prices.

Since I shoot mostly pistol, I have more of those than rifle calibers. Or am I fooling myself>

The pistol caliber carbines are my fav these days. So there's a small possibility I might just need more for them. 🤔

Well where I live now I feel I have enough ammo on hand to keep myself defended and between my son in laws stock pile and mine we are good to go. If things don't calm down pretty soon it may not wait for the elections. I just don't see the marches and riots getting this far out but when the bigger ones are going on I do make a few changes on house things. I have  a camera system installed that was here when I moved here that SIL's company had installed when they were storing equipment in this house and it is hooked to my computer and I can see everything going on all around the outside of the house day or night.

• Like 1

I went to Rural King in Glasgow, Ky. today. Their ammo shelves looked pitiful. I wish I had took a few pics. No 9mm, .40, .45, .38, .357,. There was a few boxes of .44 Magnum. A few .38 Super and .380, some .30 Carbine and 7.62x39. Also .22 LR and some 12 gauge. That was about it. Sad...…. I bought 200 rounds of .22 LR.

8 hours ago, Whisper said:

Nutjobs on both the left and the right are warning that the evil "other side" won't accept the results of the election and suggesting that perhaps one should buy ammo. 

Just like in 2016 . . . and 2012 . . . and 2008 . . . and 2004 . . .

I'm beginning to think that a good cyclical approach is to buy stock in gun/ammo companies at the midterms, and sell it on the Presidential years.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, monkeylizard said:

I'm beginning to think that a good cyclical approach is to buy stock in gun/ammo companies at the midterms, and sell it on the Presidential years.

Let me get this straight --you're talking about selling ammo after you've already bought it?  How would that even work? :)

10 hours ago, bersaguy said:

Well where I live now I feel I have enough ammo on hand to keep myself defended and between my son in laws stock pile and mine we are good to go. If things don't calm down pretty soon it may not wait for the elections. I just don't see the marches and riots getting this far out but when the bigger ones are going on I do make a few changes on house things. I have  a camera system installed that was here when I moved here that SIL's company had installed when they were storing equipment in this house and it is hooked to my computer and I can see everything going on all around the outside of the house day or night.

I have enough ammo that I'm sure they will get to me before I could ever use it up

• Like 2

I was in Academy this week and there was no pistol ammo.  They had a few boxes of 45-70 that I bought.  Shotgun shells and a few boxes of .22 were the only remaining stock.

Edited by tnhawk
On 6/12/2020 at 5:01 PM, monkeylizard said:

Just like in 2016 . . . and 2012 . . . and 2008 . . . and 2004 . . .

Remember how many gun companies have files for bankruptcy or sold out in the last few years... risky market

Yeah I know. It was just a joke about how every 4 years we hear the same "OMG!!!! That dirtbag in the Oval Office won't leave when MY guy (or girl) gets elected!!!! Buy guns and ammo! THE REVOLUTION IS COMING!". Prices spike and supply plummets. That's always followed by either the incumbent winning or an orderly transition of power then over the next two years supply returns to normal and prices fall back again. Then it's time to ramp up the rhetoric again.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Been picking up more .224 dia bullets for my ar and bolt .223 guns when I find a good buy. Was thinking my HP38 powder was running out and after looking in my storage container have enough. Small rifle primers are hard to locate, seems everyone is sold out.

20 hours ago, owejia said:

Been picking up more .224 dia bullets for my ar and bolt .223 guns when I find a good buy. Was thinking my HP38 powder was running out and after looking in my storage container have enough. Small rifle primers are hard to locate, seems everyone is sold out.

Do you shoot 9mm? Is so, have you had problems finding ammo or reloading supplies?

Only have a couple of 9mm Lugers, a P38 and a Charter Arms Pit Bull. Back when I got the P38 bought brass and jacketed bullet to reload, before got into casting. A lot of the 9mm ammo components are also used in loading .380 acp, 38 spl, 38 S&W, 357 mag, 38 Super. Cast, powder coat and size according to which caliber used. Most of the 95 gr thru 147 gr Truncated cone or round nose bullets will work in the P38 and can use round nose, wad cutters, tc, semi wad cutters in the Pit bull. Also load and shoot round balls in them. Casting and reloading allows many more loads that you cannot buy. You tweak each load until you find that sweet spot for them. Cheaper and a lot better than commercial ammo. Have a life time supply of brass, boolits, primers, and powder. Have several hundred pounds of lead to continue to cast and shoot. Also have a bullet trap to catch and recycle both jacketed and lead bullets. Once you get that initial expense of buying the reloading equipment, doesn't have to be a $1000 auto press, then all you need is to police your brass and replace expendable components to continue to shoot as much as you want too. The single stage Lee press is what I started with. Most straight walled brass can be reloaded until it splits, necked rifle brass and necked pistol brass will need to be annealed or it will get to be work hardened and split after just a few time reloading. You can also make and shoot shotshells in your 9mm by cutting .223 brass down or using the 9mm Mag brass. There will be no cheap commercial ammo until after the election and if Biden wins there will probably never be any cheap commercial ammunition again . Your guns are only wall hangers or clubs without ammo. Casting and reloading is only limited by your imagination as to what you can make, always keeping your safety in mind.

On 6/26/2020 at 7:43 AM, owejia said:

Your guns are only wall hangers or clubs without ammo.

Hence the reason I started reloading 30+ years ago, I always said a #2 iron was a better weapon than a gun without a live round to fire. The only commercial ammo I have purchased in 10 years or so is .22lr.

• Like 1