Couple New (to me) Lever Guns - Both kind of an oddball

KahrMan

Picked up a couple lever guns recently.  Here is the first one.

fullsizeoutput-1bfb.jpg

Looks like a standard Marlin 336 in 30-30 with a ugly scope and see thru rings.  First off I took the scope and rings off.  I do need to find plugs so the screws don't stick up.  The reason this is an oddball is because this model was only made for about 3 years from late '79 till about '83.  This is a Marlin 375 in .375 Winchester.  You just do not see many of these around anymore.  One of the nice things about .375 Winchester is that you can also shoot Buffalo Bore .38-55 in it.

fullsizeoutput-1bfd.jpg

fullsizeoutput-1bff.jpg

fullsizeoutput-1c01.jpg

The next one is a Marlin 336 but in .44 Mag.  I also picked up a Ruger Redhawk in .44 Mag to go with the Marlin.

fullsizeoutput-1c03.jpg

fullsizeoutput-1c05.jpg

• Like 8
  • Love 2
  • Angry 1
  • Thanks 1

Fyi: That 336 .44 is flat out one of the rarest Marlins there is.  They only made them from '56 thru '58 (if memory serves) and many of them were converted to .444 due to percieved issues with a pistol cartridges in a long action. 

Also, if you EVER need parts for it, give me a shout. I had MONTHS of issues with mine & figured out what parts from the more common calibers are compatible. 44 specific parts haven't been made since '66, but the is a lot of cross compatibility with other models. It's basically a hotch-potch of 4 different 336s!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Handsome Rob said:

Fyi: That 336 .44 is flat out one of the rarest Marlins there is.  They only made them from '56 thru '58 (if memory serves) and many of them were converted to .444 due to percieved issues with a pistol cartridges in a long action. 

Also, if you EVER need parts for it, give me a shout. I had MONTHS of issues with mine & figured out what parts from the more common calibers are compatible. 44 specific parts haven't been made since '66, but the is a lot of cross compatibility with other models. It's basically a hotch-potch of 4 different 336s!

Thanks. It does not surprise me that you also have a Marlin .44. Didn’t realize they were that rare I just knew I had never seen one in person. Same goes for the 375. That’s why I bought them both. Lol

57 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Good finds. Did you have to special order that fancy gun prop?

Funny thing about that prop. About 15 years ago I saw an ad on Craigslist for a work bench for sale for 100 bucks. I needed a workbench and headed straight over with a trailer. This guy had a huge house in Brentwood and made furniture in his spare time. This workbench turned out to be a 10’ long custom made workbench with adjustable wood shelving the entire length. With the workbench came all the jigs, do dads and wedges he used.  The gun prop is one the wedges he used when making furniture. 
I can not imagine what it cost him to have this made but it know it was a lot more than the 100 I paid for it. He just wanted it gone.  

Edited by KahrMan
  • Like 4

I like lever guns. Had a scoped Marlin 30 30 and gave it to a grandson. My father had a 243 lever gun, back in the dark ages, which is where my love for them started. The only lever gun I have now is a 38Spl/357 Mag Henry big boy. Never had any in the calibers you found, but I will say they were good finds. Enjoy!

• Like 1