Jobs and income outside of big cities

Hey all,

I currently live in Memphis and am looking to move out. I currently make $65,000 a year and am wondering if there are any jobs in the rural areas that pay anywhere close to this? Also what jobs are out there. I am currently an accountant.

Thanks for any input

Just now, Chucktshoes said:

I love it. If you don’t mind being gone away from home for long stretches of time, you can move out to the sticks and get a significant pay raise. 

What training and certs are needed to get involved? Best to lease your own truck?

• Moderators

There are a lot of training companies out there, in fact I work for a training company, but basically you train, get your CDL, then just be dependable and punctual. If you would actually like more in depth information, shoot me a PM and I can break it all down for you. 

I will give this warning. If you have a wife and kids at home, look elsewhere. I do not recommend this job for a family man. The costs to the family are very high.

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 2
6 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

There are a lot of training companies out there, in fact I work for a training company, but basically you train, get your CDL, then just be dependable and punctual. If you would actually like more in depth information, shoot me a PM and I can break it all down for you. 

I will give this warning. If you have a wife and kids at home, look elsewhere. I do not recommend this job for a family man. The costs to the family are very high.

Not in any relationships and not planning on being in any in all honesty.

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I've been with the railroad for about 23 years. It's amazing how many divorces I've seen. It's also amazing how many people I've seen crack up and destroy a career. 

• Like 1

Some years ago my MIL moved up to Paris. My wife and I grew to like the area and considered moving there too. We talked to some locals and were told, "if you move here, you better bring a job with you. Cause there's nothing to be had."  I think that still applies to a lot of small towns even now. 

As an accountant, you might be able to open your own office somewhere. But I wouldn't expect to make what you do in Memphis. 

I'd suggest you just get out of Memphis proper. Move to one of the smaller towns just outside the city. Collierville, Germantown, Millington, etc. That's what I did when I moved to Bartlett 27 years ago. I've never regretted it.  ;)

7 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Some years ago my MIL moved up to Paris. My wife and I grew to like the area and considered moving there too. We talked to some locals and were told, "if you move here, you better bring a job with you. Cause there's nothing to be had."  I think that still applies to a lot of small towns even now. 

As an accountant, you might be able to open your own office somewhere. But I wouldn't expect to make what you do in Memphis. 

I'd suggest you just get out of Memphis proper. Move to one of the smaller towns just outside the city. Collierville, Germantown, Millington, etc. That's what I did when I moved to Bartlett 27 years ago. I've never regretted it.  ;)

Does Bartlett have a lot of gang bangers?

2 hours ago, FortheFuture said:

Hey all,

I currently live in Memphis and am looking to move out. I currently make $65,000 a year and am wondering if there are any jobs in the rural areas that pay anywhere close to this? Also what jobs are out there. I am currently an accountant.

Thanks for any input

Have you asked your company about working remotely 3-4 days a week?  Then you could move an hour plus away and not have it be a big issue.

2 minutes ago, btq96r said:

Have you asked your company about working remotely 3-4 days a week?  Then you could move an hour plus away and not have it be a big issue.

As a public accountant at a small firm, I do not have this option. Never done anything remote. Would like input on this experience as well if anyone has any.

3 minutes ago, FortheFuture said:

Taking drugs?

We are drug tested constantly, but off duty alcohol is an issue. Most of it is stress. Guys deal with it in different ways. I've known several guys with more than one family. If a guy doesn't show up for work and you haven't heard of a violation, it's probably bad. The first time they kill someone at a crossing usually gets most to move on.

3 minutes ago, FortheFuture said:

Does Bartlett have a lot of gang bangers?

Not that I'm aware of. Its a pretty quiet little city. I like it. :D

OTOH: There was a shooting down the street from me a couple of weeks ago. But that was domestic dispute kinda thing and could have happened anywhere. 

We're not totally crime free, mostly just minor stuff.  But its a hell of a lot more peaceful than Memphis. 

1 minute ago, Grayfox54 said:

Not that I'm aware of. Its a pretty quiet little city. I like it. :D

OTOH: There was a shooting down the street from me a couple of weeks ago. But that was domestic dispute kinda thing and could have happened anywhere. 

We're not totally crime free, mostly just minor stuff.  But its a hell of a lot more peaceful than Memphis. 

Yea I always have my AR ready. Never want to have to use it and if I did have to use it, not sure if I would win the case or not 

6 minutes ago, FortheFuture said:

So you see drivers get hit by trains?

Yes. Accidents and suicides. My father hit several people in his career. There's always a camera. Dad always said the two worst things to hit was a pot hauler because it would kill you and a school bus because it would kill you a few days later. 

Just now, alleycat72 said:

Yes. Accidents and suicides. My father hit several people in his career. There's always a camera. Dad always said the two worst things to hit was a pot hauler because it would kill you and a school bus because it would kill you a few days later. 

Sorry to hear that man. I hope everything is going well in your life.