Side by side - Canik Elite SC and Glock 19

One1

Last month I got the Canik Elite SC to go with my SFx. This month I got it’s direct competition. For those who have been wondering what they’d be like neck and neck to compare, here ya go. 

There seems to be a lot of hoopla between these two. I’ve seen a lot of comparisons, so here’s what seems to be of interest to people. I took shots from every angle of comparison. 

People talk a lot about the glock grip angle, but the Canik seems to be almost identical. They both shoot well, but the blocky grip of the Glock is not comfortable compared to the Canik. Also, because of the trigger difference going between them back and forth screwed me up to where I had to step back and get on target with the Canik again - which I shoot exceptionally well. After shooting the glock I came back and was shooting low with the Canik for the first mag. You really need to get used to one or the other and you can be on target with either one pretty nicely. Going back and forth between them didn’t go well. Lol

clickable thumbs

00994-CE5-16-F7-4564-8-ADA-A3539-F8-A376

15712781-AEC0-49-C4-98-D4-0-D1-F7692563-

27-EBA34-E-3-EDC-494-C-9-D53-F9-F596-D4-

5-D09-D213-3581-40-A9-A68-C-A0-AF6-F6490

611-B3-AC2-E4-F6-4-D77-B956-CA23-D0759-D

65-E2-A59-D-BD5-F-4-D21-8-A25-3109-F2-CD

71-F5-C4-F9-43-E0-47-A2-923-A-2-E3-B61-A

7-ABD7-C3-C-B4-A8-446-F-9-C52-7-FD09-F3-

8146-DBEF-3902-4-F31-B1-BC-E2-C5-C06-F18

8952249-F-4-EC6-4-E3-A-92-DB-543-B9-CE17

A6-C38157-E4-D1-458-B-A798-ED98958-F7-A4

BA9-F2-E35-5-AFF-4-D5-E-BCC9-8-E9-B62-CE

E3-C94248-9674-4393-B060-CEA3-CBEA70-FA.

F9237280-F7-E8-4-B21-B85-A-E7-E843101624

FF06-CE9-D-BCDC-4-C05-8-CFD-2469-BC4-B6-

Edited by One1
  • Like 2

A couple of notes of observation today. 

- front serrations present on the Canik, none  on the Glock

- slide cut present on the Canik, none on the Glock

- striker indicator present on the Canik, none on the Glock

- loaded chamber indicator present on the Canik, none on the Glock

- lightening cuts present in the slide of the Canik, none on the Glock

- the striker is 4 times thicker on the Canik

- both have replaceable backstraps

- both have dual captured springs

- both have an indention cut into the trigger guard

- the barrels are about the same thickness on both, but the Canik is a cold forged match grade barrel. 

- the triggers physically are the same, but the Canik breaks and resets much better 

- the mag springs  are much tighter in the Glock, needs a loader to be done comfortably. 

MSRP - Glock $749 / Canik $429

To get the Glock milled for an RMR and slide cuts is roughly $250. A trigger job to make it as good as the Canik is $150. A replacement Match grade glock barrel is $125.  The steel tactical sights upgrade for glock is $100. 

+$600 to get the Glock up to the Canik standards so $749+$600 = $1349 

We all know Canik triggers are legendary, and we know they are a great value so really all I wanted to know is out of the box how do they compare to the Glock 19. After I got adjusted to the Glock I think I shot it just as well - even if I wasn’t impressed with the trigger. It seems to be a great gun, but at a cost. If I were spending the money I’d choose just as i did. I bought the Elite SC.  Later I bought the Glock. Both are great and everyone interested in them should have both. I think you will upgrade the Glock differently if you own the Canik first. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, SonnyCrockett said:

Ive owned a dozen glocks and even carry one

The Canik of which I grabbed one used from a friend is one seriously impressive gun for MUCH less cash and the tigger smokes a glocks

However...the Canik prices continue to rise. Whether it's actual cost of product, or just distributors looking for a larger profit; the Canik continues to be a well received line by the gun buying public.

First time and newbies looking for another are attracted by the comments they see and the relatively low prices. We older and more savvy buyers have discovered the quality and continue to add them to our own inventories.

I wish now I'd bought more of the first gen imports; the steel frame models like the T100.

These are true gems. I have a T100 and the Shark variant. Both are amazing.

Another import gaining ground seems to be the SAR line, at least I think so. Classic Firearms put out a mailing around 9 yesterday morning, and by mid afternoon, the nice models were gone.

• Like 1

They are definitely getting pricey. They used to go below retail and now they are commanding MSRP. 

since i was just talking about the guns themselves i forgot to put in the list that the $60 IWB/OWB Reversible holster is included with purchase as well with the Canik and it’s adjustable retention and very heavy duty.

5-CA5952-E-3-CD3-48-EF-87-FD-EECA0053708

One thing i also forgot that is very important. The rear sight on the glock is straight up and down and smooth. You cannot kick the slide off the rear sight if you only have one hand available. 

The Warren Tactical rear sight on the Canik is not only serrated, but angled so it is specifically designed to be racked off the rear slide with one hand and that’s very important for safety.

0-EA1-C7-BA-78-D7-454-D-B2-F0-F0-BD2-F1-

D9-E99858-1-BEA-4-CF0-A2-AC-3-A5-AC379-D

Glock is the winner for me  

I like some of the canik models, but would never own one. Refuse to support Turkish company. Didn’t buy a Toyota model for same reason. 

From wiki, but should be common knowledge.  A 2019 survey conducted by the Pew Research Center showed 73% of Turks had a negative view of the United States, with only 20% having a positive view, the lowest among countries polled

Neither the country of turkey nor the population of turkey are Canik. They are a private company like any other, but the irony of supporting Glock and not Canik is a bit much to bother with. “A random independent study told me they don’t like the US, and I support the US, and I love the US, so I’m spending my money in Austria.....but not the US”.  LOL. 

...........lol. I can’t even. 

Buy whatever ya like folks, for whatever reason...... but do please keep telling us why because it’s pretty hilarious. 

1 hour ago, ohell said:

Glock is the winner for me  

I like some of the canik models, but would never own one. Refuse to support Turkish company. Didn’t buy a Toyota model for same reason. 

From wiki, but should be common knowledge.  A 2019 survey conducted by the Pew Research Center showed 73% of Turks had a negative view of the United States, with only 20% having a positive view, the lowest among countries polled

Decided to run by that random study website you base your buying opinions on and see what the top supporters of muslim neighbors are. 

#2 is rather ironic. Looks like you’re gonna be down to a slingshot soon. 

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/10/08/in-the-u-s-and-western-europe-people-say-they-accept-muslims-but-opinions-are-divided-on-islam/ft_19-10-07_viewsmuslimseurope_neighborsfamily420px/

clickable thumb screenshots

385-DE081-674-F-41-B3-98-F6-A4-B8-E3-BD5

7-EA56813-2-A27-41-BA-AE30-D361934-D23-E

Edited by One1

Just try to avoid supporting people that hate USA. You’re correct, tough to do these days. Got nothing to do with religious beliefs.  turkey claims to be a secular country. But here is parent company of canik. ARAL Industry Corporation,  headquarter is located in Tehran – Iran. 

i had a cz75 clone when they first hit the USA before century was importer   It was fine for the money, but inferior to CZ. They’ve improved and became popular in the states   

Glock is a brand. But it might as well be an eponym these days. Two of my glocks have a Glock produced trigger and NY spring, rest is composed of USA clone parts. Of the choices in comparison, i’d still go with Glock and I don’t like the 19. 

On 6/13/2020 at 11:25 PM, One1 said:

A couple of notes of observation today. 

- front serrations present on the Canik, none  on the Glock. Get a gen5

- slide cut present on the Canik, none on the Glock. Get an MOS

- striker indicator present on the Canik, none on the Glock useless feature

- loaded chamber indicator present on the Canik, none on the Glock Extractor acts as LCI but again, useless feature

- lightening cuts present in the slide of the Canik, none on the Glock Feel good pretty crap that doesn't matter on a fighting pistol

- the striker is 4 times thicker on the Canik  Personally haven't seen a lot of Glock strikers fail so not sure this matters too much.   Unless canik has a problem properly heat treating their strikers, then it makes sense. 

- both have replaceable backstraps

- both have dual captured springs

- both have an indention cut into the trigger guard

- the barrels are about the same thickness on both, but the Canik is a cold forged match grade barrel.  Match grade compared to what?   This is marketing jargon.    

- the triggers physically are the same, but the Canik breaks and resets much better Doesn't take much.   Glock triggers are terrible.  

- the mag springs  are much tighter in the Glock, needs a loader to be done comfortably. Never once have I NEEDED a loader.   Keep going, your fingers will get tougher.  

I hate Glock but I'll give them credit when necessary.  Half of your points against them have been solved by the gen 5 or MOS models.   

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

I hate Glock but I'll give them credit when necessary.  Half of your points against them have been solved by the gen 5 or MOS models.   

Many excellent points, although I have been accused of being a Glock fanboy and won’t argue.  $30 and 30 minutes will turn a Glock trigger from a hag to a centerfold.  The $1350 to make a Glock equal a Canik seems a bit high.  Caniks are becoming popular.  I haven’t seen one that will run in a match yet, but a guy took second in the USPSA Production Nationals last year with one, so there’s something to them.  

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 2

Maybe not a centerfold, but definitely a looker lol.  No need for a $200 trigger kit.  This is what I do:

Polish internal trigger parts everywhere they interact (except the rear of the striker).  I like Flitz and a dremel.  

4.5 Wolff striker spring—any lower and you get into light strike issues with a stock striker (and they can keep their damn lightened strikers lol)

reduced safety plunger spring if you like; polish the whole plunger

stock trigger spring

3.5 or - connector of your choice—OEM, Taran Tactical, Ghost, ZEV, whatever.  Just make sure it’s shiny.  My current choice is a Lone Wolf 342. 

A Glock armorer friend swears that maritime spring cups are worth a 1/4 pound reduction.  I found some aftermarket ones cheap, don’t remember the brand.

You can get silly and get a safe 2 pound trigger if you’re willing to spend some money on a striker and play fast and loose with the striker spring.  It’s not for me, though.  

Edited by deerslayer
  • Thanks 1
On 6/16/2020 at 8:31 AM, Capbyrd said:

Not everyone wants a gen 5 with yet another completely different Barrel than they had the previous  year. However I’ve noted that if I buy an $800 MOS and a completely different gun than the one reviewed it can be as good as the Canik.  Solid reasoning, solid. While I’m at it I’ll replace the Elite SC with the SFx and there will be no comparison. Gen 4 Glock, Canik Elite SC...... are the two I’ve bought and they are solid in their own ways.  It is what it is. 

Edited by One1
On 6/16/2020 at 12:03 PM, deerslayer said:

You can get silly and get a safe 2 pound trigger if you’re willing to spend some money on a striker and play fast and loose with the striker spring.  It’s not for me, though.  

Lightening the trigger and not doing any other changes is why we see people getting shot in the foot. To do it, it needs to be done right all the way from the trigger to sear. Most don’t, and stuff happens. When i change the glock trigger it’s going to involve a complete internal swap. 

What is different in the $200 trigger kits?  Most take stock parts and do some variation of what I described.  They may slightly reshape the trigger bar or round off the plunger, but you can do 90% of what they do yourself.  Expensive trigger kits won’t prevent holes in your feet.  It’s your money, though.  

• Like 3