gun safe

Hey everyone, I am currently trying to get a house and if everything goes well should close 29 days from today! But for now I need a gun safe and was wondering what everyone recommends, what brands to avoid and any place that delivers and sets up to spring hill?

Edited by luke9511

The Safe House in Nashville sells and delivers. I have a Cannon Fat Boy I purchased from TSC in Murfreesboro about 15 years ago. IMO, late model Liberty Safes are the best money can buy, but it takes several dollars to purchase one. A word of advice, buy one size bigger than you think you need.  My safe holds 42 guns and I filled it over time. Giving most of them to my grandchildren now. Will keep what I really need. 

There are many good quality safes out there. Just stick to the better brands and you'll be fine. Don't try to go cheap. Good safes are expensive. Cheap safes can be even more expensive if you're robbed. Ditto on buy bigger than you need. You will fill it in time. 

I also highly recommend going with a mechanical dial combination lock. Electronic locks have been known to be troublesome and batteries do die. 

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

I also highly recommend going with a mechanical dial combination lock. Electronic locks have been known to be troublesome and batteries do die. 

Having looked at safes with the intent to buy a larger one, I know mechanical locks are a lot less common than they used to be (at least in the ones in my price range). If you end up with an electronic lock one make sure it is the kind with a backup key. That way if the electronics go out, you can still get into the safe. 

And an additional +1 on buying bigger. You will possibly find all types of thing you want to put in there that are not guns until you fill it up with guns. Buy once, cry once as the saying goes, Plus, you only have to convince your significant other ONCE if you go that way and that is necessary. 

• Like 3

Some folks store ammo inside the safe, others don't. Your call. I don't simply because I don't have the room. But if you buy oversized as suggested, I see no problem with putting ammo inside until you run out of room. 🙄

BTW: get the best fire resistance rating you can. It does matter. ;)

• Like 1

The "buy bigger" advice is good. But keep in mind that "bigger" could be accomplished with two safes. It's probably more expensive than a single larger safe, but can be done in stages, allows storage of firearms and other stuff seperate from ammo, and would be easier to handle yourself if there's a move anticipated in your future.

• Like 1

You can’t go wrong with a Liberty safe. I have a Liberty and a Cannon. Both are good, but the Liberty is better. I could use another one. The guys who said get a larger one than you think you’ll need give good advice! Make sure you spring for fire protection. Buy once, cry once. Don’t cheap out on this one!

The Safe House and DT McCall’s both deliver and provide good customer service.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 3

+2 on the Safe House. I used their Knoxville location and they were great to work with. It's always advised to buy more safe than you think you need. I actually ended up buying 2. One Browning, and one Cannon. Both were used but you couldn't tell. I think the fire rating is more important than the manufacturer so I wouldn't get caught up on a specific company but instead buy one with a good rating that suits your needs.

The reason I bought two is because I filled the 2nd one with around 80% of my ammunition. 

10 minutes ago, luke9511 said:

Should I also get one where I can store my ammo cans in it as well or figure something else out for that?

All depends on how much ammo and how many guns. Figure if they say it is a 64 gun safe, you will get 32 in there without beating them up or cutting off bolt handles. That is without any ammo cans,. Plus if you figure stacking full ammo cans on the shelves provided, you better look at the weight rating first. A lot of the shelves are far from high load sturdy. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, luke9511 said:

Should I also get one where I can store my ammo cans in it as well or figure something else out for that?

Figure something else out.  You can’t find a safe that holds both.  If you do, you’re doing something wrong.  Either not enough guns or ammo. :lol:

Safes fill up real fast.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 4
3 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Figure something else out.  You can’t find a safe that holds both.  If you do, you’re doing something wrong.  Either not enough guns or ammo. :lol:

Safes fill up real fast.

I don't have as many guns as some here lol

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

How I imagine some members' basements...

spacer.png

I wish! 

These pics got me to wondering again about handgun storage.

Do you use some sort of racking device, keep them wrapped in silicon storage socks, or as some I've seen...left in origional boxes and wrap with dessicant bag inside?

Really interest in getting some feedback on this. Thanks for any comments.  

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1

Luke

I agree with above that you should look at fire ratings and such. But if you just simply care about the MOST space for the money, this Cannon might be hard to beat. Sadly I missed when they had them on sale for $699. Fire rating is only 45 minutes though and I don't think it has a backup key. 

I just wanted to give you a low end point to measure from. 

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/cannon-shield-series--64-gun-safe

I mean as much as we would like, few of us can afford something like this, let alone fit it.

http://www.arizonasafeoutlet.com/champion-safes/big-yellow-safe/

• Like 1