Ripped From The Headlines (RFTH) Scenario - In Your Vehicle Surrounded By An Angry Mob

9 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

I’m a truck driver. A dash cam can hang your ass just as easily as it can save your ass. 

This.

Also, unless your video is uploading to the cloud in real time; I wouldn't count on it and your camera being there once this scenario is over. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, mike_f said:

Could pepper spray be used effectively if you're under assault in this type of situation?

A big can of bear spray, maybe. The typical key-chain pepper spray is just going to make them mad. 

• Thanks 1
  • Administrator
On 6/18/2020 at 7:52 AM, peejman said:

I would guess disabling the audio recording would be fairly simple. 

I do not think editing the video prior to giving it to police is a good idea. Sounds a lot like evidence tampering to me, and only guilty people do that. 

You can turn the audio recording off on practically every dash cam I've seen or used.  I turn mine off just because I want maximum capacity on the storage card for video.

On 6/18/2020 at 8:08 AM, DaveTN said:

This.

Also, unless your video is uploading to the cloud in real time; I wouldn't count on it and your camera being there once this scenario is over. 

If I am bugging out of my vehicle, it takes maybe three extra seconds to grab my dash cam and shove it into my pants pocket.  Since that camera is evidence of what occurred, it's a worthwhile three seconds.

• Like 1
On 6/17/2020 at 10:34 PM, Chucktshoes said:

I’m a truck driver. A dash cam can hang your ass just as easily as it can save your ass. 

Seems to me that if you own the camera, it can't do anything more than you want it to do. If it has something helpful, use it. If it doesn't, give it the Hillary treatment.

On 6/18/2020 at 1:04 PM, peejman said:

A big can of bear spray, maybe. The typical key-chain pepper spray is just going to make them mad. 

I don't know if this has been brought up on TGO yet. The Byrna CO2 powered pepper ball gun looks like a great solution. I will probably order one up soon. They sell pepper only, and pepper/mace ammo.  Just discovered it a couple of weeks ago...

https://byrna.com/

ByrnaHD_Max_Kit_Gray.png?v=1589554637

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

I don't know if this has been brought up on TGO yet. The Byrna CO2 powered pepper ball gun looks like a great solution. I will probably order one up soon. They sell pepper only, and pepper/mace ammo.  Just discovered it a couple of weeks ago...

https://byrna.com/

ByrnaHD_Max_Kit_Gray.png?v=1589554637

That is interesting.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bud said:

I like it. But what if I draw (and fire or not), then they draw?

How fast can I transition to deadly force via my other gun? Not fast enough i fear. Id have to train how to carry and employ a less than lethal system from my vehicle I think. Right now all I have to worry about is only drawing my weapon when I need to kill. Is the standard lower for drawing this less than lethal weapon?

If the standard for defense isnt lowered, then I need to be drawing my real gun if Im drawing.

Nevertheless, still interested in owning one of these :)

Depending on where you are it would probably be assault, or possibly aggravated assault, unless someone was trying to get into your vehicle. If you point that at someone…it’s a gun. Just like with cops, if someone feels they are in danger of death or great bodily harm; they can kill you. Their justification won’t matter if its real or not. Unless you have a way out, chances are pretty good you will have rounds incoming.

I’m not suggesting it wouldn’t be a good choice in some circumstances, instead of killing someone. But an innocent protestor claiming you pointed it at them would be justified in killing you.

• Like 3

Thought this video was relevant to the conversation.  I believe my only criticism of that he stopped and by doing so places himself in danger, and then he got out.  I don't know the circumstances of him actually hitting the protestors, but if I were in that situation I would proceed away from the crowd and then call 911 if I were so inclined.  

Don't know if video can be embedded, but here is the link.  

https://youtu.be/w022eEJdGsA

15 minutes ago, 10-Ring said:

Thought this video was relevant to the conversation.  I believe my only criticism of that he stopped and by doing so places himself in danger, and then he got out.  I don't know the circumstances of him actually hitting the protestors, but if I were in that situation I would proceed away from the crowd and then call 911 if I were so inclined.  

The very reason I am a news junky, just before I leave a location I look at what is going on in my ares. Keep some kind of map app open as I drive around in the city. I can get info on traffic in an instant and avoid these kind of things.

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Depending on where you are it would probably be assault, or possibly aggravated assault, unless someone was trying to get into your vehicle. If you point that at someone…it’s a gun. Just like with cops, if someone feels they are in danger of death or great bodily harm; they can kill you. Their justification won’t matter if its real or not. Unless you have a way out, chances are pretty good you will have rounds incoming.

I’m not suggesting it wouldn’t be a good choice in some circumstances, instead of killing someone. But an innocent protestor claiming you pointed it at them would be justified in killing you.

I view it as an alternative to a taser. Even though both are non lethal, they both carry and look like guns. And, by the time you have justification to use them, you are probably justified in using deadly force as well. This is not for going against somebody that's armed. That's time for some lead. New product, same old arguments.

7 hours ago, DaveTN said:

If you point that at someone…it’s a gun. Just like with cops, if someone feels they are in danger of death or great bodily harm; they can kill you. 

What's your opinion if it was one of the orange colored ones they offer?   Wouldn't that kinda be like the orange tips on the barrel that toys are supposed to have?

8 hours ago, 10-Ring said:

What a POS, "I am a combat veteran", I hate when these self entitled MFs use that.  Well guess what, many of us Combat Vets out there, and that does not give us the right to illegally block a highway.  Your rights stop right where mine begin, remember that.

As to the confrontation, I have to say I commend him for not taking a shot at that guy that punched him.  If he stopped on his own, he should have gone all the way to some place where the police could have intervened sooner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Moderators
7 minutes ago, Omega said:

What a POS, "I am a combat veteran", I hate when these self entitled MFs use that.  Well guess what, many of us Combat Vets out there, and that does not give us the right to illegally block a highway.  Your rights stop right where mine begin, remember that.

As to the confrontation, I have to say I commend him for not taking a shot at that guy that punched him.  If he stopped on his own, he should have gone all the way to some place where the police could have intervened sooner.

That caught my attention and grated on my nerves instantly. 

Are we discussing a topic or involved in a situation where someone’s status as a combat vet is relevant? If yes, cool, speak up about it. If not, that’s cool, but why does that matter now? Entitled pricks of any and all varieties annoy the crap out of me. 

As far as the events in the video, without knowing what happened prior to filming (where’s that footage, Mr. Combat Vet says he recorded that as well?) good on the driver for appearing to use only the necessary amount of force to deescalate the situation enough to provide space to get LE there. 

Edited by Chucktshoes
1 hour ago, Omega said:

He managed to find a reason to bring up his “combat” veteran status 6 times in less than 4 minutes, and he said he was a navy combat vet at that! He wasn’t a SEAL, because he damn sure would have been playing that card, and he sounds too young and scared to have been a Vietnam era navy guy, so about the only combat this jackass has probably seen is defending his booty hole from his fellow shipmates. I think if I was the guy with the trailer I would have shot the “combat vet” first on principle. This type of person is horribly embarrassing to other veterans, and I’m sure he was horrible to work with in the military, as these guys were always the look at me, brown nosing blue falcons.

As to the OP, this is a topic that has been much on my mind as of late, and something I’ve discussed with my wife extensively. While I think our chances of this happening in our small town are very slim, we have been traveling through Nashville, Murfreesboro, and some decent sized cities more often lately for our boys’ baseball tournaments. I typically keep an extra handgun and several extra mags for my carry gun in a locking floorboard compartment in my truck, but we have been adding some addition tools to the toolbox on trips that take us out of our normal comfort zone. Additionally, we have been packing more water and snacks than normal, in the event that we get stuck waiting out a protest or something of the sort.

While I absolutely don’t think that protestors should block roads, I don’t think I could bring myself to just drive through them if they are just standing there holding signs and chanting. If I found myself in that situation I would immediately ensure my doors were locked and have my wife call 911 and report our location while keeping my head on a swivel for threats. I would be looking for any possible “out” such as an embankment I could drive up or down or something like that. I would put the truck in 4x4 should I have to exit the road or go up and over someone. I’ve seen a few videos of cars going over people and getting high centered on the bodies, making you stuck, and possibly causing more injury to those under the vehicle. I want to get away to safety, not hurt anyone anymore than I have to, and getting stuck on someone means their friends are going to escalate their actions which won’t end well for anybody. One position I don’t want to be in is the vehicles up front, as me being stopped is preventing everyone behind me from moving. I would feel horrible if that put someone else in a greater position of danger because they were stuck behind me. The “trigger” for me to proceed forward would be if/when they actively are in and around the vehicles and making contact with them, at that point you can’t watch all directions at once, you have to get some space. I would start honking the horn and proceed slow and steady, giving them a legitimate opportunity to move and get clear of the vehicle. In most videos I’ve seen of this the vehicle gets swarmed at that point, resulting in people getting scared and flooring it, or having their windows broken out and beaten. My trigger to open fire would be a breach or definitive attempt to breach the vehicle, or the presentation of a weapon that could harm us within the vehicle. In the few actual videos I’ve seen where gunfire did erupt, the scene cleared pretty quickly, at least initially. I would take that opportunity to reload, assess for any life threatening injuries to us, and get out of the area. I would make every attempt to notify law enforcement and ask where i could safely meet them to report everything g that happened.

Edited by Danger Rane
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2020 at 7:37 AM, Johnny Rotten said:

Welcome to California!!

I feel that my life and the lives of others in my car are threatened. 

• Like 1