Anyone use XS Big Dot sights?

I have a CZ Rami 9mm that I shoot pretty well with the stock Tritium three dot sights. But, with my old eyes, it is getting harder to pick them up. They make Big Dot sights for this model and I was wondering does anyone have experience with them. Do you like them? Do you know of any alternatives that would work on the Rami?

I use the XS Big Dots. They are a great option for a defensive handgun. If it's a range only toy, there are better options, IMO. For defensive purposes, they are quick to acquire and provide an "accurate enough" target picture. I tried them on a friend's gun before I adopted them for my carry gun.

• Like 1
  • Moderators

I’m sure I could learn to use them effectively, and a lot of folks who know waaay more than I do really like them. That said, I can’t stand them. I’ve got one gun with them and I can’t wait to get them off. 

23 hours ago, swiley383 said:

I am either Gottlieb put Xs or trijicon HDs on my glock not sure keep got back and forth 

swiley...

Buy the ones on sale...  They all work great...

The voice of experience.

leroy

Edited by leroy

I put them on my FNS9 Compact. Quick target acquisition for a self defense situation and plenty accurate enough for that purpose. I don't plan on any long range shooting with that gun anyway but it's better at distance than I thought it would be.

• Like 1

Thanks to all the helpful information. Old eyes and progressive lenses make seeing small dot sights a chore. We moved two months ago and just passed my CWP class here in South Carolina yesterday with a perfect score. I can still shoot decently with my lousy vision, but would like to improve my performance. Big dot sights may be just what I need.

• Like 3

I put a set of the XS Big Dot sights on my Glock 43 and found they were exactly what I wanted on it.  The majority of the people who have looked at them also want a set on their pistol.  Not everyone, but the majority want them.

On 6/17/2020 at 6:16 PM, hammerdrop99 said:

I have a CZ Rami 9mm that I shoot pretty well with the stock Tritium three dot sights. But, with my old eyes, it is getting harder to pick them up. They make Big Dot sights for this model and I was wondering does anyone have experience with them. Do you like them? Do you know of any alternatives that would work on the Rami?

This is just a personal opinion and I'm not disparaging the Big Dots. I tried them on one of my handguns when that 'fad' was at its peak. The lollipop system goes against my 60 year shooting experience of regular sights. I'm growing to dislike the accumulation of all these birthday candles and have to wear bi-focal's to see halfway decent.

Personally, I shot the big dots O.K. for self defense distances of 10 yards or less. Having to cant my neck back to get a good focus on the the front sight wearing bi-focal's, really made the target I was aiming for blur too much. I shot an IDPA match with them and had a difficult time hitting the farther targets accurately.

With these old eyes I recently purchased my first red dot sight for a handgun, to mainly shoot USPSA and Steel Challenge matches. Wow, I wish I had tried one earlier! So much easier and faster to see for me personally. I don't plan on using a red dot for any of my carry guns for a number of personal opinions and preferences. The way I look at it, if I can't accurately hit my target at self defense distances of 15 yards and generally much less, I don't need to be carrying a lethal weapon. 

• Like 2

Dennis.. RE:... This... "... .This is just a personal opinion and I'm not disparaging the Big Dots. I tried them on one of my handguns when that 'fad' was at its peak. The lollipop system goes against my 60 year shooting experience of regular sights. I'm growing to dislike the accumulation of all these birthday candles and have to wear bi-focal's to see halfway decent..."

I had some of the same problem... I found the " trick " wuz to draw the center of the bead down into the " vee " for a" fine bead " as the old timers would say... I found it worked like a charm.

leroy

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I always had trouble with vertical stringing when I had them on a gun.  In my opinion, the front sight is OK but the rear is near worthless due to lack of hard and readily visible vertical index.   If I were to go back to them, I'd trash the shallow V notch rear and have a regular notch rear opened up to work with the big dot front.