Smith needed for bolt replacement

I need a Gun Smith to fit and head space a new bolt for my Remington 700 in 308. I have a custom built Remington by RITTEN PRECISION no longer in business, It came with a PTG Two Piece bolt, I sent the bolt off to be fluted and refinished well long story short I managed to drop it and break the handle off don't ask. I'm not sure if it can be welded back it doesn't look like it can. Does anyone know of a gunsmith in TN. that would order me a new PTG One Piece Bolt and fit it. Thanks 

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I say you need a gun smith, welding will mess with heat treat of the bolt. If the break happened out on the handle I would try a weld, I could use a heat sink to keep the bolt cool.

Yeah that's why I want a one piece replacement bolt from PTG, but don't know any gunsmiths around TN to do it, I really don't want to mail off my action to somewhere when I could drive a few hours to drop it off.

That's not really a big deal to fix. In gunsmithing school, welding on custom handles is more or less 101.  The biggest part of it is to have a dead shank that screws into the inner hollow of the bolt nice and snug for a good cold sink transfer. Wrap the shank end sticking out with a wet rag and the bolt body with the same. Relief groove the handle base and jig it where it needs to be & mig weld it. Mill & lathe turn off the excess weld. Some may heat treat the finished unit just to stress releave the weld a bit but its debatable weather a 400 ish F degree heat treat is going to kill much brittleness in the weld joint.  The only real 100 percent way is to re harden the entire bolt by turning it some 1500 %F , quench and then heat treat. This will uniform the bolt again to the desired Rockwell C of a bolt body.  If its a play gun, I would skip the big rehardening bit. But a hunt trip gun, that or a new bolt.  A new Remington bolt should head space out good unless the custom outfit turned the receiver barrel shoulder face true-er.  For that matter any one with a dial caliper can check head space in 20 minutes pretty easy.  Good Luck with it.

I have sent a bolt handle replaced by accu-tigg  

The gunsmith that build my rifle took the measurements and or sent the action off to accu-tigg to make sure that the bolt timing would be correct.  I am sure that you could send accu-tigg the bolt and action yourself.

Once the handle is fixed an you check the headspace you may be GTG.  I have .308 gauges if you need me to check it for you after a repair.

http://accu-tig.com/

If you get another bolt   Just run it up to Greg at Southern Precision Rifles http://www.bugholes.com/

Edited by MikeW