Where, oh where can I buy...

7 hours ago, Shorty said:

Basically just cutting the 223 case to the correct length and sizing it to hold a .30Cal bullet.  Some folks make a jig to hold several 223 cases so they can run it through a saw quickly.

No annealing or special dies?

12 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

Didn’t you even design an ingenious little annealing setup?  I recall the threads from years ago when .300 hit the scene but am not about to go trying to find them, lol.

2 hours ago, Ray Z said:

No annealing or special dies?

Nothing like that needed IMO, but some prefer to anneal, but even that doesn't have to be elaborate, a drill, socket and a propane torch does just fine.  Some prefer small base dies, but I started with standard Lee dies, which worked fine, just had to mod the shell holder a bit and size twice.  The RCBS and Hornady dies work just fine and the RCBS shell holder is the best for 5.56 based cases because it holds it tighter.

1 hour ago, Garufa said:

Didn’t you even design an ingenious little annealing setup?  I recall the threads from years ago when .300 hit the scene but am not about to go trying to find them, lol.

No me. I'm a fan of the Giraud annealer. Not necessary for 300, because the neck winds up being part of the case that isn't really work hardened. 

Just now, Handsome Rob said:

https://www.zepreloading.com/store/p3/300_AAC_Blackout_case_cutting_jig_.html

One of these lads, a cheap chop saw & a few minutes of spare time. 

Match that with a set of blk dies & a case-prep center & you're golden. ;)

That is the one I have, and with the Sheridan slotted gauge you can't go wrong.  Then, it was actually economically better to buy the tools and do your own, before this latest shortage it was better to buy loaded rounds and keep the brass.  I did 1k the first time, and just got done doing another 1k or so along with another 1k for my .277 wlv.  BTW, 300 whisper also shoots fine in the 300Blk.

I got the "reload" reference, and one day I may. Today's not that day. Moved down here 6 months ago, bought a 58 y/o house that needs some work and some updating. If I put 200 rounds combined downrange a month I'm doing good.

I have an AR I haven't assembled (and by "assembled" I mean "take the upper and lower out of their boxes and attach together") and a 12ga still in the box unfired. I don't have the time to reload, the time to learn, or the finances to buy the requisite equipment.

Specific to the 300, it's going to be a truck gun. It will get assembled, tested, sighted in at 50 yards with a holo, put in a hard-side Plano or Pelican case, and go in my truck. It'll come out every couple of months for a mag to verify function, get cleaned, and go back in. Strictly, 100%, an "Oh cr@p, I need a LOT more than a handgun to get home!" kinda thing. I'll be long in the ground before reloading  for it will pay off. 

Everything else, one day... 

Edited by Radtekk
3 hours ago, RED333 said:

Then you are going to pay top dollar for ammo, today and for the next few months.

Top dollar if you can even find any.  I think it will be after the election that the shortages will start to diminish.

13 hours ago, Radtekk said:

I got the "reload" reference, and one day I may. Today's not that day. Moved down here 6 months ago, bought a 58 y/o house that needs some work and some updating. If I put 200 rounds combined downrange a month I'm doing good.

I have an AR I haven't assembled (and by "assembled" I mean "take the upper and lower out of their boxes and attach together") and a 12ga still in the box unfired. I don't have the time to reload, the time to learn, or the finances to buy the requisite equipment.

Specific to the 300, it's going to be a truck gun. It will get assembled, tested, sighted in at 50 yards with a holo, put in a hard-side Plano or Pelican case, and go in my truck. It'll come out every couple of months for a mag to verify function, get cleaned, and go back in. Strictly, 100%, an "Oh cr@p, I need a LOT more than a handgun to get home!" kinda thing. I'll be long in the ground before reloading  for it will pay off. 

Everything else, one day... 

You sound exactly like me, until I got my .458 SOCOM. $3 per round was my breaking point. So, I completely understand. If you ever do get there, you will be glad you did.

12 hours ago, RED333 said:

Then you are going to pay top dollar for ammo, today and for the next few months.

9 hours ago, Omega said:

Top dollar if you can even find any.  I think it will be after the election that the shortages will start to diminish.

I got semi-caught with the 22lr "shortage" a few years back. I had enough but not plenty. Now, I have plenty. Last "scare" I actually gave a few bricks away, actually had enough that I was comfortable trading 22lr for a Henry. Appropriately enough it was a 22:) I've spent the last 4-5 years stocking, at this point I have a couple of years worth of all calibers I shoot at current rates of usage. 

5 hours ago, mikegideon said:

You sound exactly like me, until I got my .458 SOCOM. $3 per round was my breaking point. So, I completely understand. If you ever do get there, you will be glad you did.

There's a reason I don't have anything that big, paying $1+ a round for 30.06 makes me cringe. I don't hunt, wasn't part of my formative years, just bought the gun because I figured I should have one, so 2-300 rounds is a 2 lifetime supply for me. 

5 hours ago, mikegideon said:

And how long they let thugs run around destroying things.

12 hours ago, RED333 said:

Disregard, apparently I quoted twice but can't delete this one. Apparently I suck at internetting:(

They've got a long way to go to get to my house, I don't think they want to (or can) travel that far.

Edited by Radtekk
Edit fail
On 6/22/2020 at 7:37 PM, Grayfox54 said:

Ammoseek.com shows about 30 or more places that have it in stock. But as Shorty said, it ain't cheap. Prices run from $0.75 to $1.63 per round. :eek:

For those that may need some, ammo seek has this available, I grabbed 500 rounds (max allowed) a few minutes ago. Still waiting for my upper, but I'll have something to shoot. The wolf runs well in my wasrs, but they're wasrs so we'll have to see... 

https://www.sgammo.com/product/wolf-ammo-sale/20-round-box-300-aac-blackout-145-grain-fmj-steel-case-wolf-ammo-barnaul-limi