TWRA fun

Memorial Day weekend, I bought a new boat. The following Tuesday, I mailed in the required information, application, and payment according to their instructions. Heard nothing for a month. Yesterday, I got an email from them stating the payment was received, but I wouldn’t be getting a sticker or number until they received some unspecified piece of information. I sent them a copy of what I sent the first time. They won’t answer the phone, return calls, or respond to emails.

I’d like to use the boat without fear of being ticketed for not having the stickers on it. You think I’m asking too much?

Edited by gregintenn
  • Admin Team

I just renewed - and it took a couple of weeks. That's a hassle - sorry.

TWRA has said in an email somewhere that they're giving some grace about stickers.  I'll see if I can find it.

It was frustrating that when I renewed, they changed my hull number - so new stickers.

• Admin Team

I found it - it's in the TWRA app on the register boat page:

Following the Governor’s Executive Order, the TN Fish and Wildlife Commission has authorized Agency personnel to temporarily forgive those whose boats aren’t registered because of county office closures and the need to pay taxes on new boats.  As such, it is advised that you keep a photo copy of your bill of sale in your vessel until such time that clerks reopen and taxes may be paid.  This will allow you to present proof of ownership to an officer should you be stopped.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, MacGyver said:

I just renewed - and it took a couple of weeks. That's a hassle - sorry.

TWRA has said in an email somewhere that they're giving some grace about stickers.  I'll see if I can find it.

It was frustrating that when I renewed, they changed my hull number - so new stickers.

I wasn’t aware they’d change the numbers on you. I.’be never had that happen.

6 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Labor Day weekend, I bought a new boat. The following Tuesday, I mailed in the required information, application, and payment according to their instructions. Heard nothing for a month. Yesterday, I got an email from them stating the payment was received, but I wouldn’t be getting a sticker or number until they received some unspecified piece of information. I sent them a copy of what I sent the first time. They won’t answer the phone, return calls, or respond to emails.

I’d like to use the boat without fear of being ticketed for not having the stickers on it. You think I’m asking too much?

Labor Day? 2019? Maybe your to late submitting.  2020? could be a little early.

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

My son just bought a Harley yesterday. Turns out our courthouse will be closed the rest of this month and likely all of next month due to COVID-19. I told him I’d get insurance and ride it.

Ours is closed as well. Not sure how we’re gonna deal with the fact that the wife’s tags expire at the end of the month. 

The state has a "grace" period for renewing auto tags, but not sure about boat registrations.  Our county clerk office was open earlier this month as I renewed the tags on wife's car, but did not receive the renewal form from the state thru the mail as usual.  I just took the current registration receipt from the last renewal and paid my $$, new sticker in 5 minutes.  Don't know if the clerks office is closed now due to the most recent spike in cases or not.

Just keep a copy of the bill of sale and where you have attempted to register the boat in the and go fishing.  I've heard that TWRA officers have been instructed to follow "social distancing" guidelines.  I was loading up from a fishing trip back during the "lock down" period, a TWRA officer pulled up to chat, and asked to see my fishing license.  I showed him my license from 6 feet away, he couldn't read any of the info, and asked what date I had renewed my license and I told him  He said thanks and drove off.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, jpx2rk said:

The state has a "grace" period for renewing auto tags, but not sure about boat registrations.  Our county clerk office was open earlier this month as I renewed the tags on wife's car, but did not receive the renewal form from the state thru the mail as usual.  I just took the current registration receipt from the last renewal and paid my $$, new sticker in 5 minutes.  Don't know if the clerks office is closed now due to the most recent spike in cases or not.

Just keep a copy of the bill of sale and where you have attempted to register the boat in the and go fishing.  I've heard that TWRA officers have been instructed to follow "social distancing" guidelines.  I was loading up from a fishing trip back during the "lock down" period, a TWRA officer pulled up to chat, and asked to see my fishing license.  I showed him my license from 6 feet away, he couldn't read any of the info, and asked what date I had renewed my license and I told him  He said thanks and drove off.  

I know they are socially distancing on the telephone.

• Haha 4
11 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Lowe makes a great hull.  They're super strong - and yet maintain the performance of a lighter boat.

I hope it puts you on a ton of fish.

pFbw9Az.jpg

I could use some help picking out a fish finder for the front....and probably some help running the power cord back to the battery.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 2
  • Admin Team

I've been thrilled with Lowrance's Elite Ti series.  Coupled with a TotalScan transducer - or whatever they're calling it now. It's been great.  I only run one - but I've got a friend who runs a 12" in the cockpit and a 7" daisy chained up front.

I've got one in my center console - and I like it so much I run one in my fishing kayak, too.

My uncle runs Simrad - but he's got it hooked to one of those new MinnKota iDrive units.  Since he fishes by himself a lot - he can get close to a start point - hit a button on his unit, and the trolling motor coupled with the GPS just takes him right down the path he's set up - maybe 50 feet of the bed at about a 1/2 mile an hour.  He calls it the milk run.

• Like 1

I run Lowrance HDS units (2 8" units at the console with Insight mapping) and have the down scan and side scan ducer mounted beside the 2d ducer.  I can run map/down/side/2d on these units, and have a Hummingbird 8" with down/side/2d/maps on the other side where I sit while trolling for crappie.  I don't like the HB maps as they come, the Lowrance HDS/insight maps are good for my purposes.  

Running the power supply to the back can be a major PITA.  I ended up dis-assembling about half of the boat from the console back to the battery storage area but it's neat/hidden and never given me any issues.  Take the time to do it right the first time and be done with it.  If you're only going to run one FF on the front, consider putting a small lawn mower battery up front in a storage compartment and run your power wiring to it.  A small lawn mower battery will run a decent sized FF for up to 8 hrs, if you run more than one (like me at 3, get a group 24 and install it where you want.  I have a total of 4 batteries in my boat, 2 group 24's for cranking and FF's, and 2 group 27's up front for trolling motor.  

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Something just occurred to me, if I’m going into the bait business, a boat would be a legit business expense, right? I mean I have to be able to test out the baits, don’t I?

Not if I worked for the IRS, lol.  You can stand on the bank like everybody else.  😛

• Haha 1
  • Admin Team
34 minutes ago, jpx2rk said:

I run Lowrance HDS units (2 8" units at the console with Insight mapping) and have the down scan and side scan ducer mounted beside the 2d ducer.  I can run map/down/side/2d on these units, and have a Hummingbird 8" with down/side/2d/maps on the other side where I sit while trolling for crappie.  I don't like the HB maps as they come, the Lowrance HDS/insight maps are good for my purposes.  

Running the power supply to the back can be a major PITA.  I ended up dis-assembling about half of the boat from the console back to the battery storage area but it's neat/hidden and never given me any issues.  Take the time to do it right the first time and be done with it.  If you're only going to run one FF on the front, consider putting a small lawn mower battery up front in a storage compartment and run your power wiring to it.  A small lawn mower battery will run a decent sized FF for up to 8 hrs, if you run more than one (like me at 3, get a group 24 and install it where you want.  I have a total of 4 batteries in my boat, 2 group 24's for cranking and FF's, and 2 group 27's up front for trolling motor.  

This is a good point - even if it's temporary while you run power. 

In the kayak, I run my 7" Elite Ti on a cheap 12v9AH battery and it'll last all day.

16 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Something just occurred to me, if I’m going into the bait business, a boat would be a legit business expense, right? I mean I have to be able to test out the baits, don’t I?

That’s only the tip of the ice burg! I’ve gotta get me a business.

• Haha 1
17 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Don't forget, you also have to have a nice truck to pull the boat :D

• Haha 1
Guest BCR#1
On 6/26/2020 at 12:50 PM, gregintenn said:

pFbw9Az.jpg

I could use some help picking out a fish finder for the front....and probably some help running the power cord back to the battery.

I would wire it up for you if I lived closer. Make sure you run your power wires ALL the way back to the start battery, not to a fuse link.