Masks??????

Does anyone know the proper way to wear the face mask to protect yourself and others around you? I asked a doctor friend about all these people running around with their noses uncovered and the mask on only their mouth. He said that they might as well not be wearing one if they are not going to cover their noses as well as the mouth. That is why they test people by putting a swap up the nose because that is were they find the spores for the virus. I was going to look at buying a few masks till my son In law gave me 10 N95 masks which is my understanding are the best on the market. His company buys them by the pallet because his company does spray fire proofing of commercial buildings under construction and they are required to wear the N95 masks to perform their job.

I just thought I would bring this up so people that are wearing the masks need to make sure your nose is covered along with your mouth!!

• Like 2

I see this quite often myself. It seems to occur most often with employees who are required to wear a mask at work. Especially, at store check outs and such. IDK, maybe some sort of minor rebellion against being forced to wear a mask at all. Then these folks do wear the mask for extended periods.. I guess it does get uncomfortable after a while. I know I'm ready to take mine off as soon as I leave the store.

I really hate to think that this many people are really that stupid. But it is a real  possibility.  :shrug:

It’s not rocket science.  The things are designed to cover mouth AND nose.  

I’ve seen plenty of ignorant people running around wearing masks with their noses hanging out and it’s just further proof to me that we are only as strong as our weakest link....and there is no shortage of those.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
42 minutes ago, alleycat72 said:

Work came out with a rule that you have to have a face mask on if you're 6' from someone else.  The rule does not say it has to be worn over your nose and mouth so mine gets put on my belt loop. 

Smart man. 

10 hours ago, alleycat72 said:

Work came out with a rule that you have to have a face mask on if you're 6' from someone else.  The rule does not say it has to be worn over your nose and mouth so mine gets put on my belt loop. 

Since the masks most of us have access to aren't capable of protecting is from others, but rather are intended to protect others from us, this really seems to me a lot like a thumb in the eye from you to all your nearby coworkers.

Has anyone called you on it yet?

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, TomInMN said:

Since the masks most of us have access to aren't capable of protecting is from others, but rather are intended to protect others from us, this really seems to me a lot like a thumb in the eye from you to all your nearby coworkers.

Has anyone called you on it yet?

No, and they won't. If I come in contact with someone with caronavorus and report it, I'm required to take 14 days off with pay and no vacation days will be used. It doesn't matter if we had a mask on or not. We don't have to test positive. We've had several guys do this. Out of 30k employees, zero have tested positive. I could use an extra 2 week vacation🙃 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
12 hours ago, bersaguy said:

Does anyone know the proper way to wear the face mask to protect yourself and others around you? I asked a doctor friend about all these people running around with their noses uncovered and the mask on only their mouth. He said that they might as well not be wearing one if they are not going to cover their noses as well as the mouth. That is why they test people by putting a swap up the nose because that is were they find the spores for the virus. I was going to look at buying a few masks till my son In law gave me 10 N95 masks which is my understanding are the best on the market. His company buys them by the pallet because his company does spray fire proofing of commercial buildings under construction and they are required to wear the N95 masks to perform their job.

I just thought I would bring this up so people that are wearing the masks need to make sure your nose is covered along with your mouth!!

Technical correction: there is no such thing as virus spores. They are looking for the virus itself. Mold forms spores.

• Thanks 1

I have a package of N95 masks. I keep two in my van. Here's how I use them.

Prior to going into a store, I put on the mask, making sure that I pinch around the nose to get a good seal. What works best for me to get a good seal is to keep the lower elastic band around my neck and the upper band above my ears. 

In the store, I don't touch my face, but I don't worry too much about touching the mask... more on that later. 

Upon leaving the store, I unpack my cart, put it away, get in my van, use hand sanitizer on both hands. 

Then, using only the elastic bands, I remove the mask and place it facing up on the dash in full sunlight. I'm careful to only touch the straps since the mask might have gotten exposed to virus.

Then, I reapply a little hand sanitizer on the tips of my fingers that touched the mask.

Any coronavirus that gets on the mask will be killed in minutes in full sunlight. Or, at least, that's my belief. Should I need to go into another store in a few minutes, I either leave the mask on or I switch to a clean mask for the second store. 

I also carry a tiny spray bottle of alcohol that puts out a mist. I use that to clean the steering wheel, workout gloves, keys, etc. It's really not too inconvenient to do this once you make it a habit.

Edited by jgradyc
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, jgradyc said:

Prior to going into a store, I put on the mask, making sure that I pinch around the nose to get a good seal. What works best for me to get a good seal is to keep the lower elastic band around my neck and the upper band above my ears. 

In the store, I don't touch my face, but I don't worry too much about touching the mask... more on that later. 

Upon leaving the store, I unpack my cart, put it away, get in my van, use hand sanitizer on both hands. 

Then, using only the elastic bands, I remove the mask and place it facing up on the dash in full sunlight. I'm careful to only touch the straps since the mask might have gotten exposed to virus.

Then, I reapply a little hand sanitizer on the tips of my fingers that touched the mask.

Any coronavirus that gets on the mask will be killed in minutes in full sunlight. Or, at least, that's my belief. Should I need to go into another store in a few minutes, I either leave the mask on or I switch to a clean mask for the second store. 

I also carry a tiny spray bottle of alcohol that puts out a mist. I use that to clean the steering wheel, workout gloves, keys, etc. It's really not too inconvenient to do this once you make it a habit.

Any positive habit is better than what the alternative could be! I have heard several doctors say that the Virus can't survive long in direct sunlight yet look at all the people that have tested positive after a day at a hot sunny beach. So what does one believe?? I actually have not changed much except I just stay home. My Daughter and Son In law do all my shopping for me cause they are out everyday for work and they both wear masks and do the hand sanitizers routines before bringing my food in the house and I have also got Lysol and other spray sanitizers that I spray the counters with after I put my food up. The doctors have all agreed that the food packages are not likely to contain many if any viruses. After I get the food up I wash my hands with sanitizing soap and then follow it up with hand sanitizer lotion.  I also live in the sticks about 25 miles from the nearest town and 50+ miles from the nearest big city which is Nashville. I do have times I would like to just go out for a drive in the evening but Jeep is broke down and won't be fixed for at least a week or longer. It's funny but I never use to watch golf on TV but recently I look forward to it coming on so I can watch it. I do have a good friend I email quit often and he replies back pretty regally and that helps also. I do hope everyone here stays safe and we all get through this un-harmed!!!

• Like 3
4 hours ago, jgradyc said:

Actually, car glass is designed to block UV light which is what kills various viruses and bacteria.

10 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

Actually, car glass is designed to block UV light which is what kills various viruses and bacteria.

Yes, but the heat will do the same thing as will the hygroscopic nature of the mask fibers. 

The virus is just a particle surrounded by a fatty membrane. Anything that removes or damages the fatty membrane kills the virus. 

1 hour ago, peejman said:

Yes, but the heat will do the same thing as will the hygroscopic nature of the mask fibers. 

The virus is just a particle surrounded by a fatty membrane. Anything that removes or damages the fatty membrane kills the virus. 

Viruses aren't that complicated being that they are essentially a lipid mosaic syringe loaded with DNA/RNA. Your method would take a lot more time as evidenced by the reports of it "living" on various surfaces for hours to days because the surface in the mask, or on your dash, do not contain a surfactant to break down the lipid bi-layer.

5 hours ago, bersaguy said:

Any positive habit is better than what the alternative could be! I have heard several doctors say that the Virus can't survive long in direct sunlight yet look at all the people that have tested positive after a day at a hot sunny beach. So what does one believe?? I actually have not changed much except I just stay home. My Daughter and Son In law do all my shopping for me cause they are out everyday for work and they both wear masks and do the hand sanitizers routines before bringing my food in the house and I have also got Lysol and other spray sanitizers that I spray the counters with after I put my food up. The doctors have all agreed that the food packages are not likely to contain many if any viruses. After I get the food up I wash my hands with sanitizing soap and then follow it up with hand sanitizer lotion.  I also live in the sticks about 25 miles from the nearest town and 50+ miles from the nearest big city which is Nashville. I do have times I would like to just go out for a drive in the evening but Jeep is broke down and won't be fixed for at least a week or longer. It's funny but I never use to watch golf on TV but recently I look forward to it coming on so I can watch it. I do have a good friend I email quit often and he replies back pretty regally and that helps also. I do hope everyone here stays safe and we all get through this un-harmed!!!

I suspect that the beach is relatively safe unless people are crowded together like sardines. It's the bars, restaurants, hotels, tourist shops, airports, rest rooms, and cars where the virus is being spread.

• Like 1

The best method I hear of making sure you never acquire the virus is to stay in a 4x4 foot plastic cube until it's maybe safe to come out-only after radiation has killed the bug or a thermonuclear device is set off.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, krunchnik said:

The best method I hear of making sure you never acquire the virus is to stay in a 4x4 foot plastic cube until it's maybe safe to come out-only after radiation has killed the bug or a thermonuclear device is set off.

Yep, that's probably right.  At least the government will let us know when they want this crap is over. Sad though.

On 6/27/2020 at 8:50 AM, E4 No More said:

Technical correction: there is no such thing as virus spores. They are looking for the virus itself. Mold forms spores.

This just-updated article from the FDA is a comprehensive discussion about testing for the virus, both to see if you have it, or if you've had it before.

https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/coronavirus-testing-basics

• Like 1

Just got back from an RV trip to Land Between the Lakes, Dover and Paris. Very few, in that part of the country, are wearing mask. The people looked at us as if we were from outer space, while wearing our mask.