Masks??????

5 hours ago, macville said:

Why do you think it's your job to police other people like that? If you are afraid of catching it then why are you out when there are plenty of ways to have basically no exposure and get supplies to survive? You and you alone are responsible for your own health.

Not policing, merely want to point out a mistake. I only go out when I need to. I needed groceries. I fend for myself and don't count on other people to do for me. Yes, I am responsible for my own health. So I am careful, social distance as much as possible and do wear a mask. 

You see, I've been there. Not covid, but other health issues. I've been confined to a hospital bed, on oxygen and fighting for every breath. I never want to go through that again. 

Anti-mask people can't imagine what that's like. I hope you never find out. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I have been in that same situation on several occasions and didn't enjoy any of them so I know where you are coming from Fox. You just keep preaching cause some people just don't listen till it's to late and then they want to blame their getting sick on someone else when they were informed and just didn't listen!!!!

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Not policing, merely want to point out a mistake. I only go out when I need to. I needed groceries. I fend for myself and don't count on other people to do for me. Yes, I am responsible for my own health. So I am careful, social distance as much as possible and do wear a mask. 

You see, I've been there. Not covid, but other health issues. I've been confined to a hospital bed, on oxygen and fighting for every breath. I never want to go through that again. 

Anti-mask people can't imagine what that's like. I hope you never find out. 

But you thought it was your business to seek out a manager to tell other people what to do? If you see an employee coughing in someones face without trying to avoid doing so, then maybe that's worth a chat. However, this isn't a hospital where a more sterile environment needs to be kept up, it's a store and you don't own the store.

I'm sorry that happened to you, but that does not give you the right to force things like masks on other people. Your experience isn't necessarily going to be the same experience for everyone or anyone else. One of the reasons we are where we are as a country is that we've not actually make their own decisions and deal with the consequences. I've done countless hours of research from both my wife and I, that for our family, the risks with masks far outweigh any benefit. However, I don't go out ridiculing people for wearing masks or see out authorities to force people to not wear masks. I fully support people's rights to wear a mask if they feel like they should because I believe in people's right to chose how best to protect their health. But I don't feel like that is reciprocal from people like yourself. I would love to see you prove me wrong.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Dislike 2
2 hours ago, macville said:

But you thought it was your business to seek out a manager to tell other people what to do? If you see an employee coughing in someones face without trying to avoid doing so, then maybe that's worth a chat. However, this isn't a hospital where a more sterile environment needs to be kept up, it's a store and you don't own the store.

I'm sorry that happened to you, but that does not give you the right to force things like masks on other people. Your experience isn't necessarily going to be the same experience for everyone or anyone else. One of the reasons we are where we are as a country is that we've not actually make their own decisions and deal with the consequences. I've done countless hours of research from both my wife and I, that for our family, the risks with masks far outweigh any benefit. However, I don't go out ridiculing people for wearing masks or see out authorities to force people to not wear masks. I fully support people's rights to wear a mask if they feel like they should because I believe in people's right to chose how best to protect their health. But I don't feel like that is reciprocal from people like yourself. I would love to see you prove me wrong.

I'm guessing you have never been on a ventilator or other serious life sustaining equipment in a hospital or you wouldn't be picking on someone that has been.  I have taken a few rides on several life support machines and not really wanting to do another so I will speak up on this issue. If the policy in that particular store or town is for people to wear masks then masks should be worn or management should require they leave. Rule in stores are the same as laws when you are in public. The police do law enforcement and managers do store rule enforcement. How many times do people have to hear the statement "IF YOU SEE SOMETHING SAY SOMETHING" before it is understand what that means. 

Edited by bersaguy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
7 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

What the anti-masker says:

"Its illegal! Its unconstitutional! Herd immunity! Its my RIGHT!"

What the world actually hears:

"I'm a whinny little b itch that doesn't give a damn about anybody but myself!"

You can say the same for those that whine that everyone should wear one.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Dislike 1
14 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

No. The difference is that we do care about other people and want to keep everybody safe. 

I will not likely ever be within 100 miles of you. Why is it so important to you that I wear a mask?

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

No. The difference is that we do care about other people and want to keep everybody safe. 

It seems appropriate to post this:

"... .Musings upon the true meaning of the Fourth of July and it's relation to today's culture...
I've noticed that several of my well meaning friends have made various pronouncements as to what " everybody should do " and some of em have passed out backhanded denigrations of those who dont see things their way... They have said they were " selfish, uninformed, ignorant ", etc... 
This country was founded on the proposition that all men are equal and that government draws its authority, not from kings, experts, well meaning tyrants, despots, mobs, bureaucrats, politicos, and, yes, even well intended individuals; but from the consent of the governed.
I say to all ya'll, in the kindest manner possible, your opinion is just that, an opinion...
 You or I have no warrant to do anything other than to voice that opinion.  The truth is that some folks may not see things the way you do... At the end of the day; "... You are responsible for you "... " ...I am responsible to me..."... No individual private citizen has the right to demand that his opinions be imposed on others... We can debate the merits of opinions, nothing more... 
Remember, there is, indeed, uniformity of thought in the tyrannical lands, as its dangerous not to parrot the " official propaganda line", truthful or not.... 
We have " The Arena of Ideas " and " Consent of the Governed " here... Lets keep it that way... 
That, Brothers and Sisters us what the Fourth of July is really about...."

That is all...

leroy

Edited by leroy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Been out and about most of the weekend, in both Blount and Knox Counties and for the most part, the Anti-Maskers have been few. Most people are following the rules, as set forth by the health Department. Was in Kroger in Ftn Cty on Friday and only saw 13 people without masks. The store was very crowded. They ranged from children, to the elderly. Today, I went to Sam’s and saw just 6 without masks, including the Deputy they have hired for Security. 

2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I will not likely ever be within 100 miles of you. Why is it so important to you that I wear a mask?

Its not. I couldn't care less if you do or don't wear a mask. 

I got attacked for my position and am simply defending myself and stating my opinions on the matter. Y'all started this, not me.

The vast majority of credible doctors, medical experts and organizations on this whole planet state that wearing masks does indeed help slow the spread of Covid-19. Many cities and businesses agree and require people to wear masks. I also agree.

Of course this is the internet. You can always find somebody who will back your opinion as well. What you choose to believe is up to you. I have no intentions of forcing anybody wear a mask. Just bear in mind that some of the places you go just might.  

Really, how hard is it just to wear a mask? Its nothing. Hardly any inconvenience at all. But, ask yourself and be honest, is wearing a mask that much of an imposition for you or does it just piss you off that someone else is telling you you have to wear one and this is just you're way of rebelling?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
40 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Really, how hard is it just to wear a mask? Its nothing. Hardly any inconvenience at all. 

Although I wear a mask indoors, you are incorrect here. I can hardly breath in the damned things. It doesn't matter if it's a N95 or a cloth mask, I can't seem to clear enough CO2 when walking slowly inside. It is an inconvenience, but it's one I suffer through anyway.

Understandable. It can be a little tough on some of us old guys. When I wear a mask I end up breathing through my mouth. But its not so bad that I have to take it off. 

BTW: I've tested my blood/oxygen level with both mask on and mask off. Absolutely no difference in the readings. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Grayfox54 said:

I got attacked for my position and am simply defending myself and stating my opinions on the matter. Y'all started this, not me.

The vast majority of credible doctors, medical experts and organizations on this whole planet state that wearing masks does indeed help slow the spread of Covid-19. Many cities and businesses agree and require people to wear masks. I also agree.

Of course this is the internet. You can always find somebody who will back your opinion as well. What you choose to believe is up to you. I have no intentions of forcing anybody wear a mask. Just bear in mind that some of the places you go just might.  

Really, how hard is it just to wear a mask? Its nothing. Hardly any inconvenience at all. But, ask yourself and be honest, is wearing a mask that much of an imposition for you or does it just piss you off that someone else is telling you you have to wear one and this is just you're way of rebelling?

Well said Grayfox.

3 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Sir, I have always enjoyed your posts and contributions to this forum. I have learned a good deal from that.

That being said, I would like to add that you have sufficiently flogged this dead horse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Sir, I have always enjoyed your posts and contributions to this forum. I have learned a good deal from that.

That being said, I would like to add that you have sufficiently flogged this dead horse.

I think I can take some of the blame for what has taken place about this because I did say for him to keep preaching about it...……..😐 Yea I would guess the poor ole horse is dead for sure!!!

• Haha 1

So today we were finally allowed to go back to church. Masks, pre-registration, no singing, and social distancing (<50% capacity) were required. Sitting through the service was the longest I've had to wear a mask so far. A few observations... 

I was really hot to begin with but that faded, 90 deg outside surely didn't help. 

All but one person, a 7 yr old, were wearing their mask correctly (nose and mouth covered). 

None of the masks I saw (mine included) had any sort of reasonable seal around the face. Most were downright loose. 

If part of the intent if masks is to reduce the amount people touch their face, they seem to have the opposite effect. My mask slowly sagged below my nose and moved a bunch whenever I talked, requiring adjustment.  I observed most people fiddling with theirs on multiple occasions. 

Most of those I spoke with gave a little shrug or eye roll on the topic of masks. 

One guy's mask had a clear panel over his mouth. Very strange to look at but you don't realize how much lip reading you do until you can't see anyone's mouth. 

I'm not surprised. Shelby County has been adding 100+ new cases everyday for a couple of weeks now. The Mayor of my little town hasn't made an order, but just about every store here requires a mask. Imagine what it'll be like in a week or two after all the 4th of July party people start getting sick. 

On 7/5/2020 at 2:54 PM, Grayfox54 said:

It's not about the inconvenience. No one can really argue that wearing a mask is that bad. 

For many, they have written COVID off since the beginning as media hysteria/conspiracy/etc etc. Wearing a mask now would give validity to the virus and they aren't willing to do that. 

9 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

It's not about the inconvenience. No one can really argue that wearing a mask is that bad. 

For many, they have written COVID off since the beginning as media hysteria/conspiracy/etc etc. Wearing a mask now would give validity to the virus and they aren't willing to do that. 

Go work behind an asphalt paver all day and tell me how great a mask is.

• Like 1
Just now, gregintenn said:

Go work behind an asphalt paver all day and tell me how great a mask is.

No requirement has been given to wear masks outdoors. I'm wearing a mask at the gym everyday while doing weight training and cardio. I'm surviving. 

But yes, I'm sure wearing a mask behind a paver would be horrible. I believe you there Greg and I wouldn't do it either. I think the discussion here is around wearing a mask to the store. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

No requirement has been given to wear masks outdoors. I'm wearing a mask at the gym everyday while doing weight training and cardio. I'm surviving. 

But yes, I'm sure wearing a mask behind a paver would be horrible. I believe you there Greg and I wouldn't do it either. I think the discussion here is around wearing a mask to the store. 

I only wear them indoors.  As soon as my largish ass hits the door on my way out, it comes off.  I don't like wearing them either, but I see the point.  Nor would I wear them working construction or any outside job, unless there was an OSHA requirement for them.

I've not been back in the gym since this all started.  Today might be a good day to try it out, though.