Masks??????

10 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Tell us about that cigarette you.’re smoking in your avatar picture. Does a mask make it harder to smoke?

Of the three people I know personally that got the covid, not one of them smokes nor ever did.  So what’s your point?

2 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Of the three people I know personally that got the covid, not one of them smokes nor ever did.  So what’s your point?

He fears a virus yet it doesn’t appear he thinks smoking might be hazardous to his health. I don’t really have a point. I just enjoy irony.

3 hours ago, bud said:

That's not what I said at all, and an accusation does not become a question just because you put a question mark at the end of the sentence. 

Prior to the arrival of the corona virus, were you eating right and excercising and maintaining an appropriate lifestyle to make sure that Natural Selection didn't get ya?

Or, were you a typical overweight and under-excercised American who felt entitiled to that life, while resting on the fact that you could simply take a pill to keep your unhealthy self alive?

Are you asking me to change my lifestyle because of your personal laziness, and because of your expectation that you can live your life in a way that makes you especially vulnerable to environmental challenges that all plants and animals face from time to time?

A question mark makes it a question. When I want to accuse someone, I use a period.  And the question still stands.

Sure, I could lose some weight and exercise more...but I don't think my danger of dying from COVID is where the risk is.  While I'm sure I'll be fine, I only have a coin flip odds of not having symptoms.  I don't want the possibility the misery a respiratory illness could bring,  nor do I don't want to have to miss time at work (at cost to me in PTO days), or have to use medical service (at cost to me in $$$) because you don't seem to think wearing a mask under recommended situations during a pandemic until a vaccine is available is part of your obligation as a member of society.

See, that's an accusation.

Edited by btq96r
  • Moderators
2 minutes ago, Raoul said:

Spock says, “Logic clearly dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.”

I wonder if that’s why all my friends who are big trekkies are also commies? 🤔

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 4
  • Moderators
7 minutes ago, alleycat72 said:

Well, it was a communist society. Everyone works. No one gets paid. Everything you need is provided by the federation. 

And the capitalists that were portrayed were done so as the most gross Jewish stereotypes (The Ferengi).

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Raoul said:

Spock says, “Logic clearly dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.”

So, since many organs can be harvested from one person, and there are many in need, shouldn't we be taking out a few for organs for the many?

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Omega said:

So, since many organs can be harvested from one person, and there are many in need, shouldn't we be taking out a few for organs for the many?

That is an option the next time you get your driver’s license renewed. 

I personally know 8 people (including my college age daughter) that have had confirmed cases of COVID and have all recovered. While 3 of them did feel pretty miserable for a week or so, non of the 8 were hospitalized, and most did not go to a Dr. other than for the COVID test. The oldest was 57, the youngest 18. One of the guys who had the hardest time is 36 and is extremely active and fit. One of the guys who had no symptoms other than loosing his sense of taste is 51 and obese. I don’t know that any of them are/were smokers.

I work Fire/EMS at a medium sized city here in TN. I work a 24hr shift every third day. So I can speak to at least 33% of the medical calls that we have had since COVID started. As a department (across all 3 shifts) we have been averaging a COVID call about every 8 days, meaning a call with a confirmed COVID patient that is having symptoms that require them to be transported to the hospital. In every single one of those instances that I have taken part in, the patient had obvious previous conditions that put them in the highest risk category. To be clear, these are the same category of patients we work with every day that are having to be hospitalized for and are dying of their previous conditions. They were being hospitalized daily and some were dying weekly before COVID and they will still be doing that after COVID.

What I can also tell you, is that our city has seen a noticeable increase in domestic violence, drug overdoses, and suicides during the COVID lockdowns. Those numbers are starting to go back closer to normal as more things have opened up and life returns to some normalcy.

For me personally, I think the saddest trickle down effect that COVID has brought us is the isolation of our elderly population from their families. We go into the assisted living facilities daily for various medical calls. To be honest they are not the happiest of places at anytime, but the downward spiral of morale since the COVID lockdowns is palpable. Many of these people have not been able to physically see, touch, and hear their family members in months due to regulations meant to “keep them safe”. We have had several of these patients tell us that there’s no point in going on if they can’t see their family. These comments are not suicidal ideations, they are just stating the facts of life as they see it. We see everyday what it looks like when these elderly people loose the will to keep on living and trying. Very similar to switching off a light, their physical decline progresses, sometimes rapidly once that will to live is gone.

The reality is that none of us will make it out of here alive. People young and old are dying ever day from a multitude of causes. It’s always been that way and it always will. We should all take reasonable precautions in life, but if we spend too much time worrying about everything along the way, we aren’t going to live a happy and full life. More than worrying about who’s wearing a mask or who’s not or how they are wearing it or which self serving politician was right about COVID and which was wrong, take some of that energy and make some memories with your family and friends. If you have elderly relatives please find some way to encourage them and love on them. Do it in whatever way makes you and them feel safe, but do it.

• Like 12
20 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

I just wish Mother Nature would have sent a meteor instead.  

I'm all about the big purge.   I've said for years that Earth is overpopulated.   Get em Momma Nature! 

Exactly. Have you seen my avatar? 

image.png.f11539421ff75c915474013de059a99c.png

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

I'm all about the big purge.   I've said for years that Earth is overpopulated.   Get em Momma Nature! 

We’re going away. Pack your ####, folks. We’re going away. And we won’t leave much of a trace, either. Maybe a little Styrofoam … The planet’ll be here and we’ll be long gone. Just another failed mutation. Just another closed-end biological mistake. An evolutionary cul-de-sac. The planet’ll shake us off like a bad case of fleas.

-George Carlin

• 2 weeks later...