Masks??????

42 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

No requirement has been given to wear masks outdoors. I'm wearing a mask at the gym everyday while doing weight training and cardio. I'm surviving. 

But yes, I'm sure wearing a mask behind a paver would be horrible. I believe you there Greg and I wouldn't do it either. I think the discussion here is around wearing a mask to the store. 

“In public” was the decree as I understand it in Wilson and Sumner counties.

I do feel sorry for my son-in-laws employees as they must wear an N95 mask all day while at work and they are working out side for the most part. Their job is to spray a product that fire proofs the iron girders in commercial buildings under construction. Their boss, my SIL does give them spraying a lot of breaks so they can remove the masks and get something cold to drink. They also spay in shifts so no one is doing it to long before they get a break. Each time they go back in the spray booths they get a new mask also to assist in easier breathing. 

On 7/4/2020 at 9:18 PM, Grayfox54 said:

No. The difference is that we do care about other people and want to keep everybody safe. 

And you think I don't? We are so focused on trying to protect everyone, when it's really just a small amount that truly needs protection. People in this country think very short term in response to things. The cry is always, "we have to do SOMETHING!" They never consider if the something is actually the best thing long term, or really even short term. Every one is quick to mask up but very few have asked, is this good for our bodies long term? Is this putting us at risk of other health issues (which I've already seen come up with my sister due to wearing a mask.) Is people wearing mask causing people who shouldn't be out taking risk to be out because now they feel "safe"? We have become too "clean" of a society and people are afraid to get any germs and that's now coming back to haunt us. Is there a middle ground, yes. Are we way past that middle ground, yes.

Again, I have no issue with anyone wearing a mask if they desire to. I really don't. But people do not have the right to force health decisions, like wearing a mask, on other people. I care about people's right to chose for themselves how they take care of their own health. I may disagree with it sometimes, but I respect their right to chose.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
On 7/5/2020 at 5:55 PM, gregintenn said:

Sir, I have always enjoyed your posts and contributions to this forum. I have learned a good deal from that.

That being said, I would like to add that you have sufficiently flogged this dead horse.

On 7/5/2020 at 6:28 PM, Grayfox54 said:

Thank you, Greg. I appreciate the complement. I've found a lot of interesting conversation on this forum. 

Yep, this poor old horse is dead.  I hope we're done here. 

imagesJI5K8L3V.jpg.6418a7c9acc097236037b8033fc29a37.jpg

11 hours ago, gregintenn said:

It smells great to us...smells like money.

6 hours ago, 94user said:

Plumbers say that about sh*t 🤑

11 hours ago, Garufa said:

I’d be wearing an air conditioned astronaut helmet.  Can’t stand those fumes.

154238599440.jpg.e7380305603cfee4d487d984b4fb705b.jpg

Channel 5 news just said that there has been 688 new cases in only 24 hours. The weird thing is that I haven't seen any long lines at doctor offices , health departments or hospitals for people getting tested. No long lines at all. BUT when the toilet paper thing was going on , you'd see lines wrapped around the buildings and all kinds of nonsense. This makes me think these "new cases" are just bull crap. 

• Like 1
  • Moderators
36 minutes ago, tacops said:

Well, on the bright side, this whole mask thing is gonna wreak havoc on all the facial recognition data collection programs. 😉

So does wearing Juggalo makeup. 

You know, maybe the masks aren’t so bad after all. 😂

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

I think that if they are going to keep posting big numbers they need to first get the right numbers!!! Many times the numbers they show have numbers added from tests that are sometimes 12 days old. When they do that of course the numbers will be much higher. I don't think they have ever really had accurate numbers since the first month. I think what they need to focus their efforts on is ways to improve the testing turn around time. To do that just quite testing for 3-5 days and get all the results in and start at zero and make any improvements they can on testing results and begin giving accurate numbers or at least more accurate than what they are throwing out there now. I don't live in Davidson county but I also don't think their Mayor has any clue on what he is doing but that is just my opinion.

As far as Governor Lee, I think he is trying to avoid as much responsibility as possible and that is why he has placed the Mayor of the 85 counties that don't have their own Health departments on the responsibility of masks or no masks. He is avoiding being the Good guy/bad guy issue!

Also if you look at the now HOT SPOTS they are all in the southern tier of the country except California which all have the greatest number of Hispanic populations which I am sure are not getting tested for fear of deportation but they are out mixing with people in public everyday. Maybe that would be a place to start looking. Again, just my opinion!!

A friend of mine in a rural county of West Virginia was telling me about the Friday headlines in the liberal local paper.  Covid-19 Cases TRIPLE in county.  Buried deep in the story was the actual number of cases, 3.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Defender said:

A friend of mine in a rural county of West Virginia was telling me about the Friday headlines in the liberal local paper.  Covid-19 Cases TRIPLE in county.  Buried deep in the story was the actual number of cases, 3.

I have been watching the numbers in my county and they started out with 3 and it stayed there a long time. I  checked it today after not looking at it for quite a while and it has grown to 127 over the 4 months since they began posting numbers so they don't even post it on the map they put up.

Edited by bersaguy

Disclaimer for # of cases figures. My understanding is that if you have a test, and the result is positive, you go into the number of total cases. But that number does not break out those hospitalized. So the number, to me anyway, seems inflated. jmo

• Like 1
5 hours ago, tercel89 said:

."...This makes me think these "new cases" are just bull crap." 

Very wise words. I don't deny there is a virus. But I do strongly question the governmental and social bellowing and screaming going on as to the lethality of it.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, hipower said:

Disclaimer for # of cases figures. My understanding is that if you have a test, and the result is positive, you go into the number of total cases. But that number does not break out those hospitalized. So the number, to me anyway, seems inflated. jmo

No. Counting total cases makes sense. And as a result of that method the lethality rate should also be low. It's a bad bug no doubt. And it likes to pick on oldsters and health impared individuals, just like every flu bug that's ever been around. The problem here is that every politician from every party is trying to use this to their advantage. Hang em all I say.....

Edited by Raoul
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

I saw a new report that they are finding 1000's upon 1000's of masks and other medical articles discarded and floating in the oceans. I don't think American Medical personnel would be discarding these things in our oceans but I do believe that China and other foreign countries are capable of doing it!!!!….JMHO

7 hours ago, AuEagle said:

mask-science-covid-virus.jpg?resize=705%2C438&ssl=1

This is an interesting read. They wrote a follow up article which I have copied and pasted below. I will attempt to attach the link but given my level of technical proficiency..... well we will see. 

We understand that some people are citing our Perspective article (published on April 1 at NEJM.org)1 as support for discrediting widespread masking. In truth, the intent of our article was to push for more masking, not less. It is apparent that many people with SARS-CoV-2 infection are asymptomatic or presymptomatic yet highly contagious and that these people account for a substantial fraction of all transmissions.2,3 Universal masking helps to prevent such people from spreading virus-laden secretions, whether they recognize that they are infected or not.4

We did state in the article that “wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection,” but as the rest of the paragraph makes clear, we intended this statement to apply to passing encounters in public spaces, not sustained interactions within closed environments. A growing body of research shows that the risk of SARS-CoV-2 transmission is strongly correlated with the duration and intensity of contact: the risk of transmission among household members can be as high as 40%, whereas the risk of transmission from less intense and less sustained encounters is below 5%.5-7 This finding is also borne out by recent research associating mask wearing with less transmission of SARS-CoV-2, particularly in closed settings.8 We therefore strongly support the calls of public health agencies for all people to wear masks when circumstances compel them to be within 6 ft of others for sustained periods.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2020836

• Thanks 1

I've been recycling my N95 masks since March, but I decided to buy some of those blue paper masks at Home Depot yesterday. Wow! They're junk. They fit too loose to provide a seal. Even when the elastic is stretched, the nose guard is too flimsy to hold the mask against the nose. 

I feel guilty about returning them to Home Depot because it's a package of 10 for $29. OTOH, they shouldn't be selling such cr*p.