Masks??????

12 hours ago, Smith said:

Decreasing odds in one category often increases them in another. That's the nature of a dynamic relationship. 

For instance, reducing contamination in one category statistically increases the odds of contacting unforseen diseases in other categories. Not to mention weaking an immunity system designed around exposure. The best immunity is herd immunity and isolation is proven to be very bad for both the above.

While I am trying not to get it, the best thing I could do is get the virus. Statistically I'm better off that way than any other.

Yes, assuming it doesn't kill you.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Omega said:

Afraid so :waiting:

Residents of one Texas county who test positive for the new coronavirus or have been exposed to it could face criminal prosecution if they don’t quarantine for 14 days.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/texas-county-residents-coronavirus-charges-quarantine

I ain't skeered either. If it is going to take me I want it to be quick without a bunch of being dragged out garbage. I have all my arrangement's made so the family doesn't have to do anything except pick up a box with my ashes in it. I will go directly to the Funeral Home cremation furnace from whatever facility I am in. Family won't be able to change anything. I think Funeral Directors use family members to milk way to much money out of them at a time when they are not thinking right and mourning. I eliminated all that. The only thing family will be responsible for is picking out the Urn I will be buried in.

• Like 4
26 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

If it is going to take me I want it to be quick without a bunch of being dragged out garbage

If you die of COVID it will not be quick. It will be a slow and painful process as you struggle to breath. It's not a death you would want. 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Erik88 said:

If you die of COVID it will not be quick. It will be a slow and painful process as you struggle to breath. It's not a death you would want. 

Hunkered down in the corner in constant fear would be much better.

• Haha 1

I will only add this one additional post.  I have been involved in healthcare for almost 50 years.  I know people who have personally been on the front lines watching people die of Covid in NY.  It is not pleasant, and it is real.  I do get a lot of medical journals and updates daily.  This is all a new virus and is a learning experience for the brightest and best medical minds in the world.  Buying time to fight the enemy is a positive.......hence wear a mask.  Being ignorant is everyone choice to make.  Not being scared has doing to do with catching the virus or not.  I have read of many cases of healthy individuals dying.  My owning firearms, or any of my politcal beliefs have nothing to do with this virus as well;  the virus is scared of neither.

• Like 6

Oh yea, one more thing. I have a Living Will that does state no heroics, Do not resuscitate to sustain life. Just keep me out of pain and allow me to die with dignity. I do have underlying health issues so chances are slim to none I would survive it and there would be no sense in my keeping an ICU bed occupied when a younger healthier person could be in the bed that would have a much better chance to get well. I have lived with a belief that I don't fear death as much as I fear so called life on machine. Just let me die with peace and dignity....JMHO

• Like 4
1 hour ago, chances R said:

I will only add this one additional post.  I have been involved in healthcare for almost 50 years.  I know people who have personally been on the front lines watching people die of Covid in NY.  It is not pleasant, and it is real.  I do get a lot of medical journals and updates daily.  This is all a new virus and is a learning experience for the brightest and best medical minds in the world.  Buying time to fight the enemy is a positive.......hence wear a mask.  Being ignorant is everyone choice to make.  Not being scared has doing to do with catching the virus or not.  I have read of many cases of healthy individuals dying.  My owning firearms, or any of my politcal beliefs have nothing to do with this virus as well;  the virus is scared of neither.

As far as being scared or not scared is not the point with me. I am doing everything humanly possible not to get it or possibly pass it on to any family or friends!! I have a bunch of masks and a bunch of Lysol to spray surfaces I use. I have about 6 bottles of sanitizing soaps on my sinks I wash my hands with and hand sanitizing bottles in every room. I have not been off this property in almost 3.5 months and my family does all my shopping and everything is handled with the most care and bags the groceries arrive in are sprayed with Lysol before discarding. So I am not out there tempting fate for me or my family. I am also not out there being an idiot just asking to get sick and possibly die.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, E4 No More said:

Woops!

https://www.foxnews.com/us/these-n95-masks-arent-likely-stop-coronavirus

“Given that most of the value of these masks is not to protect the wearer but to protect others from a potentially contagious asymptomatic wearer, those one-way valves make the masks practically useless for protecting others....”

I rarely see anyone using N95 masks. Those have pretty much been out of stock since March. 90% of people I'm seeing are using cloth masks or those really crappy paper ones. 

I've seen mask packaging after mask packaging say it is not for covid protection.  N95 masks, properly worn, give you a bit of protection, for a short period of time.  But with all the touching of objects, like shopping, adjusting masks, pulling them down to talk, or get a bit of fresh air, make ALL masks ineffective, and as a matter of fact, I feel it makes it worse.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, bud said:

So if it has become my duty to cover my exhaled breath from those who may get ill and die from Covid, it only makes sense that the mask wearing should continue in perpetuity so that we protect those at risk of death from the flu which would prove equally deadly. So, masks always and forever.

At least NOW you understand 😂

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

WHAT IF SAID WEARER AIN'T INFECTED?

How do you know they aren't?

I'm not saying wear a mask or don't.   I'm only trying to correct this incorrect notion that surgical masks are to protect you from something.  That simply isn't how they work.  

1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

WHAT IF SAID WEARER AIN'T INFECTED?

Does said wearer get tested weekly and check his temp daily to confirm no infection?  

The idea is to protect everyone else from the typhoid Mary's (or covid Greg's ;) ) of the world. 

A related anecdote.... my brother in laws kids (twins) constantly had strep when they were little. I started calling them the toxic twins because it seemed like one of them was always sick. Every time my kids would spend time with their cousins, they'd end up sick too. This went on for several years until the twins doctor suggest the parents get tested. The test revealed that their dad was an asymptomatic strep carrier. He had his tonsils removed and none of them have had it since.  

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

How do you know they aren't?

I'm not saying wear a mask or don't.   I'm only trying to correct this incorrect notion that surgical masks are to protect you from something.  That simply isn't how they work.  

I understand the function of these face coverings, but as shown, and uninfected person has a much higher risk of contracting this China Virus by wearing a mask, than the protection it gives others.  They would be much better served by preaching constant hand washing and surface sanitation than mandating we wear virus collection points on our face.  I know I don't want to risk giving myself a higher risk of contracting any virus just to make others feel good about violating my space in a store, because these mask wearers now feel the distance can now be shortened because of the mask.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Omega said:

I understand the function of these face coverings, but as shown, and uninfected person has a much higher risk of contracting this China Virus by wearing a mask, than the protection it gives others.  They would be much better served by preaching constant hand washing and surface sanitation than mandating we wear virus collection points on our face.  I know I don't want to risk giving myself a higher risk of contracting any virus just to make others feel good about violating my space in a store, because these mask wearers now feel the distance can now be shortened because of the mask.

Well they are preaching frequent hand washing and distancing and what not.   People just can't hear that over their mask bias.   

I think a lot of what is being said may be true but I also think there are some masks out there that work to protect the wearer as well as the people around them. I just receive a number of masks that have replaceable filters that will protect you from intake as well as exhaust. You can just snap off the filter cover after a few times of wearing it and install a new filter. The filter material is made to filter in both directions. They are made of .005 Hepa filter material. The outside of the mask is made to be wiped down with alcohol clothe or alcohol swab to clean it after each use and can be used many times if maintained properly. It may not be the perfect protection but it is much better than the throw away paper masks and I was glad to get them for sure and I have made about 50 replacement filters made from a Hepa filter purchased at Lowes. Just remember to wash your hands after doing the mask maintenance. and maybe use some hand sanitizer also....JMHO