Long story short: For the last three months at USPSA matches I've had a severe jam on my Canik TP9SFX, so severe I had to hold the slide as tight as I could and bang on the grip a lot to eject the unfired round. The rounds did not fire, and upon inspection I could not see any deformations or ammunition defects? It always occurs once about every fifty rounds.

I was over at a buddies house with my brand new Walther Q5 Pro 9mm practicing steel challenge. The same thing occurred "twice" on my new Walther. Had to hold the slide hard and pound the grip to eject the unfired round. We both inspected the rounds and didn't see anything wrong. He put both 9mm rounds in his pistol and they both fired and ejected normally? I thought I had a bad batch of ammo originally but that doesn't seem to be the case. Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.

To me it sounds like the case wasn’t sized enough and they are jamming in the chamber. 

Pull the barrel and drop the round that doesn’t feed in and see if it drops flush into the chamber. 

My most recent 1911 has a tighter chamber than the rest of them and I would occasionally get the same jam. I had to lower my sizing die down a little bit further to get them to chamber 100%. 

This is all based on that I’m assuming your shooting reloads. 

Edited by expendable
  • Like 1
On 6/27/2020 at 9:16 AM, DaveTN said:

Sounds like an extractor problem, but the chances are slim both guns would have that problem at the same time. Is it steel  case ammo, or have you been using steel cases ammo in both guns?

I've never used steel ammo in any handgun, too rough on them, I always use factory new ammo and never any reloads. Like I mentioned, my buddy opened his slide and slid the rounds in his chamber with no problems and fired. In retrospect, I wish I had thought to ask him after he slid them into his chamber, to put them in his magazine and try it? 

I used all "Freedom Munitions" at the Steel Challenge Saturday with the Walther and didn't have any ammo problems. It's got to be some bad ammo???

On 6/27/2020 at 12:47 PM, expendable said:

To me it sounds like the case wasn’t sized enough and they are jamming in the chamber. 

Pull the barrel and drop the round that doesn’t feed in and see if it drops flush into the chamber. 

My most recent 1911 has a tighter chamber than the rest of them and I would occasionally get the same jam. I had to lower my sizing die down a little bit further to get them to chamber 100%. 

This is all based on that I’m assuming your shooting reloads. 

Bingo..!  Ammo on high side of diameter tolerance... Tight chamber on low side...  Usin the chamber for a " go- no go " gage will sort out the ammo problem im thinkin. 

Good luck.

leroy

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

I've never used steel ammo in any handgun, too rough on them, I always use factory new ammo and never any reloads. Like I mentioned, my buddy opened his slide and slid the rounds in his chamber with no problems and fired. In retrospect, I wish I had thought to ask him after he slid them into his chamber, to put them in his magazine and try it? 

I used all "Freedom Munitions" at the Steel Challenge Saturday with the Walther and didn't have any ammo problems. It's got to be some bad ammo???

What brand ammo were you using?

When it doesn't go into full battery it's either the ammo or the extractor. Sometimes a really stiff recoil spring will help but the root problem is the ammo. As far as matches go a spare barrel and a few minutes to make sure everything drops in smoothly is worth the time it takes.

Edited by Sunfish
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Some bullets, if they are loaded long or have fat ogives, can get forced into the rifling when a barrel has a short leade.   You don't always notice until you attempt to eject a loaded round and find it's stuck.

I see this a lot with several brands of coated lead bullets, especially noticeable in the 124gr varieties.