SGAmmo-Ammoman

3 minutes ago, BlessTheUSA said:

Then it has nothing to do with "they will just make the current prices the prices..."    but rather that demand will stay high so prices will stay high.   That's capitalism, and the essential supply-demand interaction.     Asserting that a large, free market will arbitrability keep prices high is another thing.   I suppose there's a fundamental difference in assuming that prices are $1.50/rd because the seller wants to charge a high price, vs. the that being the price the buyer is willing to pay.

I'm willing to bet sellers would have loved to charge $1.50 a year ago.  🙂

Agreed, but I think he was trying to say prices will be higher than they were because demand will be strong for a while.  

2 hours ago, BlessTheUSA said:

Agree.  I don't know what to make of "news anchors" calling Joe "President Elect."    It's 100% factual that he is NOT the president elect, no matter where you stand politically.    Forcing a narrative by repeating it enough times, perhaps?

"Presumably, maybe, allegedly president-elect Biden" takes way too long to say ...

16 hours ago, No_0ne said:

"Presumably, maybe, allegedly president-elect Biden" takes way too long to say ...

lol.  It's not even "presumable".   It's not about the political debate, but the fact that no one is president elect until the vote is cast.   Do you hear folks who believe Trump won, calling him "President Elect Trump"?    They have a strong enough understanding of the system to not do so.

13 minutes ago, BlessTheUSA said:

Do you hear folks who believe Trump won, calling him "President Elect Trump"?    They have a strong enough understanding of the system to not do so.

Yeah, maybe.  But maybe they call him "President Trump" because he's already president.

• Like 2

The supply of ammo and guns will eventually catch up. But pricing recovery will be dependent on the retailers. I’ve seen around 15-18% and still rising since January on guns at the online dealer I use mostly, with no price increase from the manufacturer. And they don’t have them, so the price may even be higher when they do. And of course ammo pricing is just crazy.

I could make a butt load of money right now. But I refuse to be part of this. “Free Market” or “supply and demand” being legal doesn’t make it right. Now, having said that there are plenty of folks on this forum that are pricing stuff right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, DaveTN said:

The supply of ammo and guns will eventually catch up. But pricing recovery will be dependent on the retailers. I’ve seen around 15-18% and still rising since January on guns at the online dealer I use mostly, with no price increase from the manufacturer. And they don’t have them, so the price may even be higher when they do. And of course ammo pricing is just crazy.

I could make a butt load of money right now. But I refuse to be part of this. “Free Market” or “supply and demand” being legal doesn’t make it right. Now, having said that there are plenty of folks on this forum that are pricing stuff right.

So store which sold, say 50 items a year ago and perhaps just managed to stay open..... now can't get as much inventory... and even though the customer is willing to pay more, they are expected to keep the same price as last year because "it's the right thing to do"?  

That's patently wrong.  It's CRITICAL to a free society that the seller is able to set the price that is optimal for his market and himself.   What happens when that seller "doing the right thing" sells the few items he can get his hands on, at last year's prices, and goes out of business?  Then where will you purchase?

Consider the cases when storms hit Texas.  An entrepreneur loads up generators already on store shelves in NY State.   Then drives them overnight to Texas, making them available to Texans at prices higher than they purchased them in NY.  The Texans, without power are GLAD for the opportunity to buy a generator that they otherwise DON'T have access to.  And the idiot politicians say this is illegal, throw the entrepreneur in jail, and force their constituents to suffer without generators they want to purchase. 

The idea that it's WRONG for a (edit) business seller to set prices as THEY see fit based on the ability to maximize THEIR best interest, is wrong and dangerous to our country.  Maximizing their best interest, a KEY TENANT of FREEDOM,  means they are by default looking out for YOUR (the market's) best interest, by selling a good/service at a price that the CUSTOMER is willing to buy.   And in the case of a smart business owner (presumably most who take the initiative to start and make a business successful), they are probably also considering the big picture such as repercussions of reputation, etc...  This system is CRITICAL.   

Quote:  “Free Market” or “supply and demand” being legal doesn’t make it right.

That makes it right, and what has created the prosperity we all enjoy.   If 5.56 was 0.25/rd, where would you be able to purchase it right now?   Would stores who can't find much to sell still be in business?   

Edit to add:

The same principal applies to individuals, which have primarily similar considerations as businesses.  Consider the current situation with ammunition.  The primary reason people are paying $2/rd for ammunition is because they perceive they need (or want) it, and/or they may not be able to purchase it easily in the future.  As such, it's worth $2/rd to them.  More than it's worth to you, but that's what it's worth to them.

Perhaps a seller, under the SAME or other set of considerations, will come up with a price at which it's worth it to them to sell. 

When the value placed on that item (e.g. a cartridge) by both parties aligns.... they'll make a deal.

A Corvette is worth $80k to some... not to me... so I don't buy.   But I'm not mad at GM for charging $80k.  I'm glad they do because if they charged $40k they'd either make a car no one wanted or lose a ton of money and then make no cars. 🙂

Edited by Guest
4 hours ago, BlessTheUSA said:

So store which sold, say 50 items a year ago and perhaps just managed to stay open..... now can't get as much inventory... and even though the customer is willing to pay more, they are expected to keep the same price as last year because "it's the right thing to do"?  

That's patently wrong.  It's CRITICAL to a free society that the seller is able to set the price that is optimal for his market and himself.   What happens when that seller "doing the right thing" sells the few items he can get his hands on, at last year's prices, and goes out of business?  Then where will you purchase?

Consider the cases when storms hit Texas.  An entrepreneur loads up generators already on store shelves in NY State.   Then drives them overnight to Texas, making them available to Texans at prices higher than they purchased them in NY.  The Texans, without power are GLAD for the opportunity to buy a generator that they otherwise DON'T have access to.  And the idiot politicians say this is illegal, throw the entrepreneur in jail, and force their constituents to suffer without generators they want to purchase. 

The idea that it's WRONG for a (edit) business seller to set prices as THEY see fit based on the ability to maximize THEIR best interest, is wrong and dangerous to our country.  Maximizing their best interest, a KEY TENANT of FREEDOM,  means they are by default looking out for YOUR (the market's) best interest, by selling a good/service at a price that the CUSTOMER is willing to buy.   And in the case of a smart business owner (presumably most who take the initiative to start and make a business successful), they are probably also considering the big picture such as repercussions of reputation, etc...  This system is CRITICAL.   

Quote:  “Free Market” or “supply and demand” being legal doesn’t make it right.

That makes it right, and what has created the prosperity we all enjoy.   If 5.56 was 0.25/rd, where would you be able to purchase it right now?   Would stores who can't find much to sell still be in business?   

Edit to add:

The same principal applies to individuals, which have primarily similar considerations as businesses.  Consider the current situation with ammunition.  The primary reason people are paying $2/rd for ammunition is because they perceive they need (or want) it, and/or they may not be able to purchase it easily in the future.  As such, it's worth $2/rd to them.  More than it's worth to you, but that's what it's worth to them.

Perhaps a seller, under the SAME or other set of considerations, will come up with a price at which it's worth it to them to sell. 

When the value placed on that item (e.g. a cartridge) by both parties aligns.... they'll make a deal.

A Corvette is worth $80k to some... not to me... so I don't buy.   But I'm not mad at GM for charging $80k.  I'm glad they do because if they charged $40k they'd either make a car no one wanted or lose a ton of money and then make no cars. 🙂

Did I suggest anywhere throwing anyone in Jail? Did I suggest we need more laws? Or that a Corvette needs to be affordable for all? (Not sure where that came from, or how it applies) Absolutely not.

The supply is not compromised. Hence, the manufacturers aren’t rising their prices. If a store sells their supply in a day instead of a month, so what? The only way a gun store is going out of business is if someone else is getting their normal allotment of guns or ammo. That could be happening. Wouldn’t that be free enterprise; the strong killing the weak?

There is ammo available. If people want to pay the inflated prices; they have that choice. I’m not suggesting someone can’t buy it up and flip it here for crazy prices. Or that retailers can’t charge crazy prices. I’m just saying its wrong.

This thread just happened to be about availability and stupid pricing; so we are giving our opinions.

8 hours ago, BlessTheUSA said:

Consider the cases when storms hit Texas.  An entrepreneur loads up generators already on store shelves in NY State.   Then drives them overnight to Texas, making them available to Texans at prices higher than they purchased them in NY.

There's a fine line here. While a person who takes the time to drive to NY for generators surely deserves to profit from his effort, consider the people who were selling bottles of water for exorbitant prices after hurricane Katrina several years ago. Now, I don't compare ammunition to water, which is necessary to life,  but the point is that there is a line somewhere between profiting and profiteering. Profiting is fine, profiteering is ethically indefensible and often illegal.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, AuEagle said:

Update: SGAmmo .45 ACP in stock. 

Close your eyes, what ya see?  Nothing.

45 Auto ACP Pistol Ammunition | SGAmmo.com

Ha, ha, ha I appreciate it when vendors have the option of picking “Show in stock only” and everything disappears so you don’t have to waste your time looking. 

They do have a lot of .223 though; if you want to pay nearly a buck a round or more. 🙃

Edited by DaveTN
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Quavodus said:

I don't even look for ammo anymore. I load most of what I need anyway. I wouldn't mind finding a little .22 lr.

+1. And I have taken advantage of reasonable .22 prices over the years.

I'm very untrusting and my loading buddy has even less faith due to his 40 year military service.

Trust but verify and trust but accumulate is more our mantra. That and keep your ####e at an undisclosed location.

Good luck boys...

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for tracking on it. I have just noticed that 762x39 has jumped another $100. So the pressure is increasing.

I was at Bass Pro this Monday. They said they got more 9mm after a wait over a week. They are not putting it out, they are holding it back for those buying pistols. They are charging $15 per box for 9mm range ammo, and I am sure that is at a fair profit margin. So that confirms in recent time the distributors are still not the issue.

FWIW, I passed on buying the ammo.

• Like 4