"Go Ahead" " Make My Day"

I have been wanting one of these S&W Model 29-10 44 Magnum's ever since I saw my first Dirty Harry movie.   This gun has been at Guns and Ammo in Memphis for sometime.  Every time I come into the store I take a look at it.  Yesterday I bit the bullet and picked it up.  Once I get it to the range I will give an update on how it shoots.

IMG_2620.JPG

Edited by The Legion
  • Like 10
  • Love 2
48 minutes ago, The Legion said:

Once I get it to the range I will give an update on how it shoots

It won’t shoot worth a dime, send it to me for proper testing. Be sure to send at least 1000 rounds of ammo so that proper testing can be performed. At that time I will tell you if it’s worth you keeping or not, most likely it won’t be and I’ll just take care of it for you.

VERY NICE BUY, ENJOY

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

I've got a 6" Model 29-8. Its a classic all right. Every gun owner should at least experience one. Honestly, I very rarely shoot it. For big bores I much prefer the .44 Special and .45 Colt. I'm just not a fan of all that buck and roar of the big magnum. 🙄

The only reason I have it is because it was left to me when a dear friend passed away. Believe it or not, that cannon was his EDC.  :eek:

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, DJTC45 said:

That is one nice looking Smith & Wesson, those grips make that gun. Enjoy shooting it, makes me wish I still had mine.

You are correct about the grips.  They are some of the best looking and feeling grips I have had on any revolver I have owned in the past.

3 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Buddy of mine as that Smith scandium/titanium snub nose 44mag. The real fun is to load a few 44spl and 1 or 2 44mag and give the cylinder a spin. Each trigger pull is a surprise.  😂

You sure don't like him...do you? lol

I did that sort of thing with a friend. Not as radical though. I had a Smith 19 snubbie(still have it actually) we were shooting. 

The guy was a bit of smart###, so I reloaded for him. I had some target loads and a few hot loaded 357s I got from a guy that reloaded. Bill "The Rabbi" Bernstein. I think he tried to make them too hot for me.

So I handed Mickey the 19. Three 38 target loads and 3 specials. He cursed me loudly afterwards. I think it stung just a bit. But I do wish I'd had a 44mag to do that with.

I did buy Tracker 44 later, but he never came shooting with me again.

Not because of this little trick, but because of politics. He was a Flaming Lib trying to convert me. Didn't work. 

• Haha 1
16 hours ago, The Legion said:

You are correct about the grips.  They are some of the best looking and feeling grips I have had on any revolver I have owned in the past.

I have a buddy that has one very similar to the one in the picture and I wanted to ask you if you can use a speed loader with those grips? He can't use a speed loader with the grips he has on his 44 mag.

On 7/2/2020 at 11:47 AM, bersaguy said:

I have a buddy that has one very similar to the one in the picture and I wanted to ask you if you can use a speed loader with those grips? He can't use a speed loader with the grips he has on his 44 mag.

I picked up a speed loader for the Model 29 today and I can say it did work, but it was a tight fit. 

14 hours ago, The Legion said:

I picked up a speed loader for the Model 29 today and I can say it did work, but it was a tight fit. 

My Buddy said he couldn't use his at all. He may need to change his grips if he really wants to use speed loaders with his.

Thanks for the information!!!

1 hour ago, bersaguy said:

My Buddy said he couldn't use his at all. He may need to change his grips if he really wants to use speed loaders with his.

Thanks for the information!!!

I ordered a set of Hogue rubber grips for the 29.   I will let you know how they work with the speed loaders when I get them on the gun. 

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, The Legion said:

I ordered a set of Hogue rubber grips for the 29.   I will let you know how they work with the speed loaders when I get them on the gun. 

Thank you and I will let my buddy know when you find out!!!

10 hours ago, Quavodus said:

I read somewhere that when Dirty Harry came out, that Model 29 sales went through the roof. Most of these guns got sold off with almost a full box of ammo too. Its not a fun caliber to plink with.

Its not a fun caliber to plink with.

I can't imagine why???......………..🤣   I have another friend that actually owns one of the original 44 auto-mags made right after the movie "Sudden Impact" came out and he said the same thing about plinking and seldom does it. He found out that the company was going out of business and he bought up a bunch of parts that were noted for breaking or malfunctioning.  Back when he bought it he was a young man. Now he says it is nice to look at and his grandson will take him and the gun to a range and the grandson shoots a couple mags through it and then they go home and Grand-paw takes it apart and inspects it, cleans it and locks it back in the safe till the next trip. He has promised it to his Grandson when he passes away. That is why he has taught him how to disassemble it, inspect it clean it and assemble it back.  

2 hours ago, A.J. Holst said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't .44 a very flexible round for reloading?

It's got to be cheaper than pre-rolled!

.44 Special/.44 Magnum is very versatile when rolling your own, just like .38 Special/.357 Magnum.

Even Inspector Callahan used a “light special” load, lol.  .44 Special is a pussycat out of a model 29.  One could shoot that all day.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1