Carrying while wearing a "mask"

If this has come up in a previous thread, please lock it up. Overheard someone a work saying something to the effect of "wearing a mask and carrying is illegal". I get an over the head mask with your beety red eyes poking out saying stick-em-up is bad, but if I'm doing my daily business a usual while wearing my "COVID" mask, is there any legal consequences that arise? I'm always concealed and won't be made unless something hits the fan. Just didn't know the legal side of masking up while carrying.

Edited by jhc77

I’m not completely sure but I don’t think there is. If so I’ve never heard of it and don’t think it would be enforced in the current situation, even if it was.

Closest thing I’m aware of is it’s a felony to commit another felony while wearing body armor. Yes that’s as dumb as it sounds.

16 minutes ago, chances R said:

NO.  NO.   NO.   NO.   

DAMN INTERNET.   I don’t know how this crap gets started.  

Not internet, a person. I didn’t ask him where he heard cause it would have been a long answer. 

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, nightrunner said:

Closest thing I’m aware of is it’s a felony to commit another felony while wearing body armor. Yes that’s as dumb as it sounds.

Don't stick up a gas station with a switchblade either, use a Bowie instead. ;)

- OS

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Oh Shoot said:

Don't stick up a gas station with a switchblade either, use a Bowie instead. ;)

- OS

Switchblades are legal in Tennessee now so I guess it's ok to use it while sticking up a gas station.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, Oh Shoot said:

Class E felony with fine doubled, in addition to the robbery charge.

-OS

Nah, just scream "Black Lives Matter" and "This is for Floyd" and they will give you a pass.

Edited by Omega
speeling
  • Like 2

There is a TN state law that says it's a crime to wear a mask with the intent to deny someone their civil rights.  That is the ONLY state law about wearing masks that I'm aware of.  39-17-309

But, no it's not against the law to carry while wearing a mask.  Or generally to wear a mask while in public.

3 hours ago, JayC said:

There is a TN state law that says it's a crime to wear a mask with the intent to deny someone their civil rights.  That is the ONLY state law about wearing masks that I'm aware of.  39-17-309

But, no it's not against the law to carry while wearing a mask.  Or generally to wear a mask while in public.

So its against the law to wear a mask while mandating that people wear a mask. That explains why those making these proclamations generally aren't wearing masks. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • 2 months later...

Apparently there is a law in VA (surprise) that fueled this rumor in TN. Something along the lines of it being illegal to carry while wearing anything that might conceal your identity (mask). If remember there was a statement by the attorney general that this was not applicable during the covid pandemic. 

15 hours ago, Parrothead said:

Apparently there is a law in VA (surprise) that fueled this rumor in TN. Something along the lines of it being illegal to carry while wearing anything that might conceal your identity (mask). If remember there was a statement by the attorney general that this was not applicable during the covid pandemic. 

They were trying to pass an anti mask law here in TN as well. 

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/bill-would-make-wearing-hoods-masks-illegal-in-tennessee

But the rioters could also be charged if the DA had any balls.

https://codes.findlaw.com/tn/title-39-criminal-offenses/tn-code-sect-39-17-309.html

(b) A person commits the offense of intimidating others from exercising civil rights who:

(1) Injures or threatens to injure or coerces another person with the intent to unlawfully intimidate another from the free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege secured by the constitution or laws of the state of Tennessee;

(2) Injures or threatens to injure or coerces another person with the intent to unlawfully intimidate another because that other exercised any right or privilege secured by the constitution or laws of the United States or the constitution or laws of the state of Tennessee;

(3) Damages, destroys or defaces any real or personal property of another person with the intent to unlawfully intimidate another from the free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege secured by the constitution or laws of the state of Tennessee;  or

(4) Damages, destroys or defaces any real or personal property of another person with the intent to unlawfully intimidate another because that other exercised any right or privilege secured by the constitution or laws of the United States or the constitution or laws of the state of Tennessee.

(c) It is an offense for a person to wear a mask or disguise with the intent to violate subsection (b).