Wearing a face mask in public? A Poll.

Wearing a face mask in public?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support or oppose the wearing of face masks in public to help slow the spread of Covid-19?

• Yes. I support wearing face masks in public.
    • No, I oppose wearing face masks in public.

6 hours ago, owejia said:

Lets get serious, if covid 19 was really as deadly as proclaimed,  

One of the problems is that too many people are only looking at the death toll which isn't that high. Here in the Memphis area deaths have been holding around a low 2% rate since the beginning. Giving many a false sense of security. 

People are ignoring what the survivors are having to deal with. First is the cost of treatment. You all know how expensive even a short hospital stay can get. Imagine the cost of weeks or even months in ICU. Even with good health insurance many survivors are facing medical bills of over a million dollars. A great many will end up bankrupt. 

While most of us aren't very fond of insurance companies, they're taking a pounding,. Which in turn is going to affect our entire economy. Don't forget all the businesses shut down and people out of work. It'll take years for our country to financially recover.

Getting back to the survivors, this is a devastating disease which affects the entire body. Many survivors are left with permanent damage to lungs, heart, kidneys and other internal organs which will require care for the rest of their lives. Some will be left permanently disabled and unable to work. 

You need to understand that this pandemic will have long lasting effects on our nation, our economy, our population and our very way of life. Anything that we, as individuals, can do to slow it down will help. WEAR A MASK! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Erik88 said:

I can't help but shake my head when I see headlines like this and I've seen at least 6-7 similar to this one. 

image.png.e455d7842d82fb26a645e4181d946c4c.png

It’s undoubtedly a political ploy.  Too many people need this to drag out as long as possible for real or perceived financial and political gains.  I have no doubt the virus is real, but highly questionable reporting methods and financial incentives for people to sit in the recliner and watch Netflix instead of finding work as well as for hospitals, nursing homes, etc for Covid cases have made me skeptical about this “spike.”  If Trump loses, the virus will probably be forgotten within a week.  

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, owejia said:

If you don't have the virus, how does your spittle cause someone else to catch it?

You know for certain that you aren't positive or carrying the necessary germs to infect someone else? 

37 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

You know for certain that you aren't positive or carrying the necessary germs to infect someone else? 

Did not answer my question. How can you spread the virus if you don't have it?

There seems to be some debate about whether a mask protects its wearer or only others.  If wearing one protects whoever wears it and therefore reduces spreading of the virus, why not mandate eye protection as well?  If a properly worn mask protects the mouth and nose of the person wearing it, what good is it if the eyes are not completely covered?

8 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

There seems to be some debate about whether a mask protects its wearer or only others.  If wearing one protects whoever wears it and therefore reduces spreading of the virus, why not mandate eye protection as well?  If a properly worn mask protects the mouth and nose of the person wearing it, what good is it if the eyes are not completely covered?

If everyone wore a mask then eye protection wouldn’t be needed, unless there are people that squirt out of their eyes.

17 minutes ago, owejia said:

Did not answer my question. How can you spread the virus if you don't have it?

The point he's trying to make is that studies show there is a period of time between when someone can spread the virus and the time that the person realizes that there's something wrong, i.e., symptoms begin to show. One of the unique things about COVID-19 is that the period of highest infection occurs during this asymptomatic period. It apparently can vary a lot, but it's around three days. If you have it, you can spread it unknowingly to a lot of people before you realize you have it.

But, hey, it's your call. I don't really care whether you wear a mask or not. Statistically, the more people who don't wear masks, the more people will get infected and the quicker we reach herd immunity. Best of luck to everyone, regardless of your position on this issue. 

Personally, I'm not terribly worried about myself, but my wife is 68 and has health issues. It would devastate me if I caught this by being reckless and gave it to her. 

1 minute ago, Garufa said:

If everyone wore a mask then eye protection wouldn’t be needed, unless there are people that squirt out of their eyes.

That’s true IF masks are 100% effective in eliminating spreading the virus from a carrier.  They’re not.   

1 minute ago, Garufa said:

They are far more effective than nothing.

More effective at reducing giving the virus to others?  I agree.  At protecting one from getting the virus from someone who coughs or sneezes?  Without eye protection, they are worthless.  What is the purpose of a mask?  The experts say both.  

• Like 1

I'm going to wear a mask even if the only reason is to try and put this pandemic behind us quicker. Can we at least agree that would be a good thing? I do believe that this thing will end quicker if we all make a little effort. If I'm wrong, then the worst thing that's happened to me is minor inconvenience from wearing one. 

I just don't feel like they are asking that much from us at this point. Shutting down businesses was far worse than wearing a mask. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Erik88 said:

I can't help but shake my head when I see headlines like this and I've seen at least 6-7 similar to this one. 

image.png.e455d7842d82fb26a645e4181d946c4c.png

This and all the similar headlines are nonsense.

It's perfectly fine and also reasonable to hold an opinion about a virus, as well as how it's being used for political gain, and also be one of the 0.001% that succumb to it.

It' akin to people having the right to drive without a seat belt.  The constitution would overrule any federal seat belt requirement.  Get 100 million people to exercise that freedom -- all the while knowing the risks -- and a very small percent will die as a result.

I can't tell if people that write these headlines are naive and don't understand reality, or are just pushing their agenda and hoping others don't see through it.

12 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

I believe the point of these articles is that these people didn't take the virus seriously and their own negligence killed them. 

I'd say that many unnatural deaths are caused by the dead person's own negligence, but that doesn't make world news.

14 hours ago, BlessTheUSA said:

This and all the similar headlines are nonsense.

It's perfectly fine and also reasonable to hold an opinion about a virus, as well as how it's being used for political gain, and also be one of the 0.001% that succumb to it.

It' akin to people having the right to drive without a seat belt.  The constitution would overrule any federal seat belt requirement.  Get 100 million people to exercise that freedom -- all the while knowing the risks -- and a very small percent will die as a result.

I can't tell if people that write these headlines are naive and don't understand reality, or are just pushing their agenda and hoping others don't see through it.

Of course they are pushing their agenda: Red-neck Trump supporters die from their own stupidity while infecting the intellectuals on the left. 

It's all about blaming Trump in some form or fashion.

Edited by E4 No More
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
19 hours ago, tacops said:

I think I will just stay home, I have come to realize I don't really care for human interaction anyway these days.

I have not been off this property I live on since this mess began. The only interaction I have had was with 2 TGO Members and my daughter and Son In Law and do to their employment types both get tested everyday before they can begin work. When they go shopping for my groceries they follow all the rules. N95 Masks in public and hand sanitizer bottles carried in their pockets to use frequently before bringing my groceries in my home plus we all wear masks.  I have a specific place that they put my groceries and leave. I put up the frozen foods and refrigerated stuff up and then spray off the freezer and fridge with Lysol. After I have let the other stuff sit for quite a while I will spray the bags with Lysol and let them sit another 15 minutes or so and then finish putting up my groceries. Then I wash hands and put on hand sanitizer. It has worked so far so not changing anything. "If it ain't broke don't fix it!" 

• Like 1