Charlie Daniels Gone

:(

Charlie Daniels, a member of the Country Music Hall of Fame best known for "The Devil Went Down to Georgia," died Monday morning after suffering a hemorrhagic stroke. He was 83.

Daniels' death was confirmed by his publicist, Don Murry Grubbs. He is survived by his wife, Hazel, and son Charlie Daniels, Jr.

• Sad 2
On 7/6/2020 at 7:43 PM, RED333 said:

"Simple Man" and "A few More Rednecks" apply these days

President Trump should play Simple Man at his rally's. Makes perfect sense what Charlie said. Crooked politicians  and crime in the street. You know what's wrong in the world today people done put their Bibles away. And living by the law of the jungle not the law of the land. Well put Charlie, well put. And as AuEagle stated, he is playing in the heavenly band today, evidently the Lord needed a good fiddle player!!

• Like 2

I had the opportunity to interview Charlie back in 06 when he was touring in Iraq. Also got to shoot (photos) the concert he did for the troops that night. What an amazing man... in his 70's, flying into a war zone so he can visit with and entertain the troops...and he worked like a dog the entire time. He did two hours of meetings and interviews before the concert, played HARD for 2 or 3 hours, stayed til well past midnight signing autographs, and then was up before dawn to attend a sunrise church service. Then he got on a helo, went to an even worse part of Iraq and did it again. It was a humbling experience watching him work. A great man who will be sorely missed.

Oh, the concert was for the 48th BCT (or whatever they were calling Brigades at that point) out of Georgia, all of whom were about to head back home. He closed the concert w/ "The Devil Went Down to GA" and the roar that went up from the crowd was like nothing you've ever heard. It was a physical presence that felt like being hit by a wave in the ocean. Incredible experience. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
On 7/6/2020 at 3:32 PM, Steelharp said:

I was fortunate to gig with Charlie on his Jam XIII. Great guy, extremely talented. He will be missed greatly. 

He was a solid Trump vote, too. I guess now he'll be voting Biden. 😔

I was pretty sure you had played with Charlie at some point in your career. Like I've said before, I'd love to sit and listen to you talk about your musical adventures and escapades. lol Have you considered writing about it? Really, I'm sure a bunch of us would buy copies.

But back on track...I think I've made posts about Charlie Daniels here already, and I can't tell you how many on FB.

But Charlie deserves every single one. A good Christian man, a true America loving patriot, a great musician, and a true southern gentleman. Just a good ol' boy in all regards.

I got to enjoy his music since his early days I think. First heard him at a Chili Cookoff. I think he may have gotten paid in chili. lol

But got to see I think 3 live shows. He never disappointed, except maybe not playing long enough at the last Jam I saw. But didn't matter. He was, is, and always will be great in my eyes.

Miss ya' Charlie. Now take a break, and Rest in Peace.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Charlie was a great friend to the “Friends of the NRA” having donated lots of autographed fiddles for auction at annual banquets.

Question for Steelharp ....... ever meet a harmonica player named Harley?  He played some for Charlie also.

On 7/14/2020 at 1:05 PM, DaveTN said:

DaveTN  ...... Yes Sir, that is him.  A heck of a harmonica player!!

Harley’s wife and my wife were childhood friends and remained in close touch throughout the years until my wife’s death.

Harley and his wife have been pretty devoted to prison ministries for a number of years.  They live in Florida and would get together with Charlie during their trips back to TN.   Once said Ole Charlie still carried some regrets for things said & done in the past, but hey ... DON’T WE ALL????

• Like 1