Olight Flashlights

Got my lights today. The quality is way better than I expected. 

I'm going to use the M2R Pro Warrior to land some planes headed to HSV in my backyard. 

The i5T EOS is tiny. I can't imagine how they get so much light out of a AAA battery.

Both lights have multiple modes so you can maximize your battery life until you need to blind someone or signal the spacestation.

Kudos to willis68 as usual. Great price and I can't believe how quickly he got the lights to Alabama. 

Edited by bubbadavis
  • Like 2
  • Administrator

OLight makes good consumer-grade stuff but I am going to stick to Surefire, Cloud Defensive, Modlite and Streamlight for things that I might need to count on in a fight.

I'm not trying to rain on the sale of these items as I think they are perfectly fine for what most folks are going to use them for, but I really cannot in good conscience recommend them for someone who's life might depend on them.  Bear in mind that "reviewers" like S00tch are paid handsomely by vendors to post favorable opinions about their products.  That guy hasn't met many products that he didn't fawn over.

One problem in particular that both Mark and I have been able to exploit with ease on Shooters Nation is the latch design on the Valkrie.  It's easy to snag that thing on the draw and inadvertently rip your light off of the gun.  Even if they were to use a toggle design similar to what ADM and Surefire use (see below) with an integral lock button, it would still be prone to snagging on things as you draw.

There's a reaosn why no one else uses these types of latches on pistol mounted weapon lights and my guess is that everyone else patended their designs and left OLight with very little option BUT to use them.

Again... I am not opposed to OLight for casual purposes.  I am opposed to them for serious use.

Installing and adjusting the ADM Lever - B&T Industries
** Not the OLight lever.  OLight's lever doesn't have the integral lock, which would at least be a step in the right direction.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, TGO David said:

OLight makes good consumer-grade stuff but I am going to stick to Surefire, Cloud Defensive, Modlite and Streamlight for things that I might need to count on in a fight.

I'm not trying to rain on the sale of these items as I think they are perfectly fine for what most folks are going to use them for, but I really cannot in good conscience recommend them for someone who's life might depend on them.  Bear in mind that "reviewers" like S00tch are paid handsomely by vendors to post favorable opinions about their products.  That guy hasn't met many products that he didn't fawn over.

One problem in particular that both Mark and I have been able to exploit with ease on Shooters Nation is the latch design on the Valkrie.  It's easy to snag that thing on the draw and inadvertently rip your light off of the gun.  Even if they were to use a toggle design similar to what ADM and Surefire use (see below) with an integral lock button, it would still be prone to snagging on things as you draw.

There's a reaosn why no one else uses these types of latches on pistol mounted weapon lights and my guess is that everyone else patended their designs and left OLight with very little option BUT to use them.

Again... I am not opposed to OLight for casual purposes.  I am opposed to them for serious use.

Installing and adjusting the ADM Lever - B&T Industries
** Not the OLight lever.  OLight's lever doesn't have the integral lock, which would at least be a step in the right direction.

I was not going to say anything yet but since you brought this up I must,

Personally I don’t use flashlights attached to my pistols, so I have not seen what you are talking about But

I TOTALLY agree with you, when I received my Odin which is mounted on my AK47 I did not like the mounting system one bit attached to picatany rail, the light moved very easily, side to side up and down play  since I have an M Lock rail I bought a very expensive ($45) Scout Light adapter I removed the Olight attachment and screwed it directly to the light, and mine is secure and I trust it completely.

I had a few email conversations with my Rep and some other people From Olight I let them know this was a problem that I saw first hand to make a very long story short I am no longer one of their favorite people. as a dealer I did not like the fact that they do Flash sales without telling me, I never want to charge you guys more money for something that you may get on sale while waiting for your order, I am a small one man outfit they do not care about my opinion which is something I am not use to,

I now own 6 Olights and like them very much but I will no longer be a dealer for them, in my opinion they care more about people collecting their products then they do about people needing to trust their life’s with their products, 

some advice to you all that I have learned, do not buy these lights on Amazon they sell a ton of fake Olights, yes Chinese fakes of quality Chinese products they do not let dealers sell on Amazon at least in my dealer agreement it was forbidden I have been told this multiple times since affiliated with them,

The Odin light uses the exact same pattern for the mounting holes in the light as the Surefire Scout,

if you buy a good Scout Light  adapter for whatever rail you need, you will have a solid light in my case for less than $200 I have a better system than my $850 Surefire system was, so far anyway it has been rock solid and I love it

The Javelot Pro is my favorite light it has the best throw of any light I have ever used, 

I still love my M2R Warrior Pro I beat the #### out of it and it still works like a charm, I would trust my life with it as I use it constantly 

TO UPDATE there was a serious misunderstanding between myself and a Lady in China, all is well now and they truly do care what I think and bent over backwards today apologizing 

Edited by willis68
  • Like 2
  • Administrator

1 hour ago, willis68 said:

I had a few email conversations with my Rep and some other people From Olight I let them know this was a problem that I saw first hand to make a very long story short I am no longer one of their favorite people. as a dealer I did not like the fact that they do Flash sales without telling me, I never want to charge you guys more money for something that you may get on sale while waiting for your order, I am a small one man outfit they do not care about my opinion which is something I am not use to,

I now own 6 Olights and like them very much but I will no longer be a dealer for them, in my opinion they care more about people collecting their products then they do about people needing to trust their life’s with their products, 

It's unfortunate that they weren't receptive to your feedback.  Given that they seem to do quite a bit of in-house R&D and aren't 100% ripping off other people's intellectual property, you would think that they would want to know what the consumer thinks of their products and use that feedback to drive improvements.

On the other points that you made, I wonder if you were just dealing with a bad sales rep?

Again, I suspect that a person can get by just fine with an Olight for casual purposes and especially so if they are sticking with the handheld models.  For weapon lights, I'd skip 'em.

1 hour ago, TGO David said:

It's unfortunate that they weren't receptive to your feedback.  Given that they seem to do quite a bit of in-house R&D and aren't 100% ripping off other people's intellectual property, you would think that they would want to know what the consumer thinks of their products and use that feedback to drive improvements.

On the other points that you made, I wonder if you were just dealing with a bad sales rep?

Again, I suspect that a person can get by just fine with an Olight for casual purposes and especially so if they are sticking with the handheld models.  For weapon lights, I'd skip 'em.

I think their problem with me is I don’t have a Brick and Mortar store or You Tube million subscribers, and that I don’t have a large enough order demand like the large stores do at the end of the Day just more headache than it is worth, I do like their lights and I’m telling you the Odin is worth checking out, buy yourself a quality Scout adapter for it and under $200 you will have a great weapon light 

seriously it is better than my Dual Fuel Surefire Scout, and over $400 less with the Tape switch included 

as far as Streamlight goes I have owned 4 of them over the years and every single model I have owned has died, I bought them all from Streamlight  So I know they were authentic

I still have 15 Surefire lights, some very old only one of them gave me problems and it was my EDC L2T, the low 5 Lumen setting on the gas pedal type switch would only go to High Surefire sent me a new tail cap and thought it would be good, it was not at the end of the day I had to send it back to them, they repaired it and I still have it

I honestly use these Chinese lights over them, they are so much brighter and I love the magnetic charging cable it is ingenious 

Surefire really needs to step up their game for what they charge they should be a brighter better beam than Olight offers but they are not

it remains to be seen if the Odin will be as good as my Surefires have been in the long run but I am telling you that you need to check one out yourself to believe it

Edited by willis68

I got an Odin around a month ago during their flash-sell/release and it is comically bright. It was like right at $120 and came with two of their I5T flashlight so I figured I’d try it out. I don’t have much experience with the Odin besides lighting up the neighborhood but I definitely love the output. It’s noticeably brighter than my Surefire DF PRO and it cost as much as my Surfefire Tape switch. 

I don’t love the olight tape switch and end cap attachment. But for the price, I didn’t expect anything more.

Mrgunsngear has a pretty good review of it on YouTube if your curious about it. Compares it’s beam to SureFire, streamlight and Cloud defense. 

Edited by Ahitchc4
7 minutes ago, Ahitchc4 said:

I got an Odin around a month ago during their flash-sell/release and it is comically bright. It was like right at $120 and came with two of their I5T flashlight so I figured I’d try it out. I don’t have much experience with the Odin besides lighting up the neighborhood but I definitely love the output. It’s noticeably brighter than my Surefire DF PRO and it cost as much as my Surfefire Tape switch. 

I don’t love the olight tape switch and end cap attachment. But for the price, I didn’t expect anything more.

Mrgunsngear has a pretty good review of it on YouTube if your curious about it. Compares it’s beam to SureFire, streamlight and Cloud defense. 

Do you have the new Locking tail-cap or the older ones?

All these lights seem (to me) to be pretty much the same quality. I don’t want or need a weapon light, but I know a lot of people do.

My issue is the switching on lights that have variable levels. I own Surefire, Streamlight and Fenix (Olight if you count my little keychain light).  I want an on/off switch and a different switch to cycle through the light levels. I don’t want to have to tap out Morse code to change the light level. The Fenix PD35 V2.0 does exactly what I want for an everyday carry light, so now I have three of them.

The Streamlight PROTAC HL 5-X does what it is supposed to do for a big light. But I just leave it on bright, the TEN TAP system they have is ridiculous. I wouldn’t buy another light from them as long as they are using that.

Surefire has placed themselves out of my price range. If I was a cop, or military, sure, but I’m not and I can’t justify the cost.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, willis68 said:

Do you have the new Locking tail-cap or the older ones?

I’m not sure. I bought it right when they came out, which wasn’t long ago. Here’s a pic. 

Also, I’m pretty positive all Cloud Defensive products are manufactured in the USA. David had either one of the founders or executives on his podcast. 

5523C167-3F90-4E96-9B33-BB6942A88D6E.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Ahitchc4 said:

I’m not sure. I bought it right when they came out, which wasn’t long ago. Here’s a pic. 

Also, I’m pretty positive all Cloud Defensive products are manufactured in the USA. David had either one of the founders or executives on his podcast. 

5523C167-3F90-4E96-9B33-BB6942A88D6E.jpeg

It looks like the same as mine, when mine is locked it does not move does yours?

1 minute ago, Chucktshoes said:

I’m glad to see that they created a locking tail cap. I have a Warrior X and the magnetic only attachment of the tape switch made it wholly unsuited to weapon mounting. 

I think it only works on the Odin, mine works great like I said time will tell but right now I could not be happier 

• Like 1

Man I have got 13 emails and counting apologies from China for the lack of return emails, I had to ask them to stop apologizing LOL 

they are so happy that I sell on a Gun forum they want me to give them any feedback you all have I’ll send it their way they really are trying to get everything right unlike some other companies I know of 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TGO David said:

It takes a lot of testing, experience, research, etc. for me to commit to a new weapon light. Based on my research, the Olights seemed worth testing. So far, I've been impressed with the Olights I purchased but they are not intended to be defensive tools (at least by me) - just utility flashlights. The i5st is destined for my laptop bag for travel.

I treat a defensive light much light a new defense gun. It doesn't make it into the defense role until its proven enough for me to bet my life on it. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, bubbadavis said:

It takes a lot of testing, experience, research, etc. for me to commit to a new weapon light. Based on my research, the Olights seemed worth testing. So far, I've been impressed with the Olights I purchased but they are not intended to be defensive tools (at least by me) - just utility flashlights. The i5st is destined for my laptop bag for travel.

I treat a defensive light much light a new defense gun. It doesn't make it into the defense role until its proven enough for me to bet my life on it. 

I understand what you mean, the M2R Pro has proven this to me that Olight can make a light good enough to trust my life to again time will tell but just initial impressions make me love my Odin and honestly I had a Surefire Scout light tape switch fail on me just playing around with it that is a switch that has been battle proven numerous times just goes to show nothing is perfect 

Guys if any of you want a light that you can damn near reach the moon with the Javelot Pro is just something that I could not recommend enough I absolutely love that light and the case it comes in I honestly think it is Olights best value, if you have a lot of property and want a light that will throw 1000 meters it is truly amazing