Glock Gen 5 .40's coming : I have a question

tercel89

The Glock Gen 5 chambered in .40S&W have been announced that they will be coming out. My question is this : If Glock is making them in Gen 5 then what's up with all the talk about the .40S&W cartridge being a round that beats and tears guns up ? I have shot .40 S&W Glocks since 1996 and still today. The Glock 22's get these little wear marks or peeing marks under the slide and then the wear stops. One certain firearms trainer here in Tennessee says that they will never go beyond somewhere around 35-40,000 rds. He does know what he's talking abot and he's a smart guy as he's seen a lot come through classes but I dont see Glock making Gen 5's  in the cartridge if they are this destructive.  Your thoughts ????? 

35,000 to 40,000 is a lot of ammo-when I was at Range USA I had spent a lot of time cleaning and keeping our firearms running and we had no more wear on the g27 than the g26-I hadn't noticed fixing Glock's that were .40 S&W no more than the 9mm-in fact I repaired more of the g30 and g36 in .45ACP.

What was problematic was reloading casings that were fired from a Glock barrel due to the lack of support on the bottom of the chamber.

Some had case blowouts from the cases being weaker in that spot.

2 hours ago, tercel89 said:

One certain firearms trainer here in Tennessee says that they will never go beyond somewhere around 35-40,000 rds. 

I'd venture to say the percentage of folks that put 35,000+ rounds on one gun in its lifetime is very small.    Basically the average Joe shouldn't worry about the round count life of their .40 pistols.     I know I'm not.   

• Like 4

I really liked the 40 for a long time, and shot a Taurus PT100 and a Glock 24 in 40.

I know I'm a liteweight in round count, but in about 5 years, I might, maybe, possibly have run a max of 2500 rounds in the Taurus and twice that in the Glock. 

I personally don't think I have to worry about ever wearing out a pistol. 

The 35,000 to 40,000 round life expectancy of a Glock 22 is accurate. As others have stated, that is well beyond a lifetime of shooting for most people. For those that do shoot a lot, individuals or law-enforcement agencies, ia Glock 17 will generally have 2 to 3 times the life expectancy. 

I don’t use Glocks. But I know we kid a lot about the .40S&W going extinct. That’s ridiculous. Many PD’s use it and a lot of us use it as our primary semi-auto carry round. 40,000 rounds would be a respectable number for any handgun.

As pointed out, few will get anywhere close to that number. The cost of 40,000 rounds of ammo, even at range ammo prices would be approaching $20,000. People doing that can afford a new gun, or their agency will give them a new gun.

But of course, the mighty .40S&W will wear out a gun faster than those weak little 9mm’s, how could it not?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, DBTN said:

The 35,000 to 40,000 round life expectancy of a Glock 22 is accurate. As others have stated, that is well beyond a lifetime of shooting for most people. For those that do shoot a lot, individuals or law-enforcement agencies, ia Glock 17 will generally have 2 to 3 times the life expectancy. 

Do you think that would also extend to the other large frame Glock 9s? Specifically the G34/35 guns?

• Admin Team

Physics being physics, you should probably reasonably expect a .40 caliber pistol to wear faster than a 9mm.

That said, if you put 35-40K rounds through one to accomplish that you've probably earned a new one.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

Physics being physics, you should probably reasonably expect a .40 caliber pistol to wear faster than a 9mm.

That said, if you put 35-40K rounds through one to accomplish that you've probably earned a new one.

Agreed. Only exception being the H&K USP, it was built as a .40S&W then rechambered for 9mm

1 hour ago, tercel89 said:

Look at this video . It looks like they shot a Gen 5 22 10,000 rds . I cant read it but I saw 10,000 in the end LOL . 

Purely guesswork from trying to interpret the written language, I thought I saw something at the end that appeared to be 4 days testing and 40,000 ?rounds.

5 hours ago, Trekbike said:

What I found interesting in the video is the mag reloading crew was loading by hand.     Must have had some trashed thumbs by the end of the test.    Now I feel bad for always wanting to use my Maglula loader.   :)

I saw that too ! Ouch ! 

8 minutes ago, SonnyCrockett said:

Not sure why you say that no one buys 40 and even my LGS wont take one for trade anymore ..

Your statement confuses me as it makes no sense, but I understand the last part.  LGS’s won’t take a .40 if you gave it to them, that I have seen.

Edited by Garufa
  • Moderators
15 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Your statement confuses me as it makes no sense, but I understand the last part.  LGS’s won’t take a .40 if you gave it to them, that I have seen.

Maybe it’s because .40s just collect dust on the shelf. 

The only 40s anybody buys are Old English or Steel Reserve. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I rarely see a private individual want to buy a .40. When ammo dries up .40 is still around for a while. Honestly I think the only reason for the Gen 5 Glocks in .40 is there is still a number of police departments using it nationwide that haven’t switched yet. I bet in the coming years 40 will be just like 45 for departments. Only the stubborn one will use it over 9mm. My local sheriffs office still uses 45 but most departments across the country are now running 9mm

• Like 1

I hear all the time about .40 caliber is dying. I don't know why really because it was the miracle caliber that bridged the gap between the 9 and .45. But, I've heard the stories too about how gun stores don't want . 40's anymore. 

6 hours ago, Quavodus said:

I hear all the time about .40 caliber is dying. I don't know why really because it was the miracle caliber that bridged the gap between the 9 and .45. But, I've heard the stories too about how gun stores don't want . 40's anymore. 

Because there are multiple independent ballistics tests done that show there is little to no difference in ballistic effectiveness between common pistol calibers (9mm, .40S&W, .45ACP, .357mag) when using modern JHP ammunition. And 9mm has a definite advantage in shoot ability, control ability, and capacity.

• Like 1

Interesting information on expected life.  For comparison, my CZ75b has over 55000 rounds through it.  I've replaced a firing pin, slide stop, and recoil spring.  Barrel looks like it's about ready to be replaced.

I'm not a fan of the 40 short and weak.  All the penetration of the 45, and stopping power of the 9mm.  And newer 40 is even downloaded from the earlier ammo.  I do like that most 40 pistols can be easily changed to .357Sig.  My Glock 23 has that setup, and was cheaper than buying a Glock 32.