Glock Gen 5 .40's coming : I have a question

tercel89

On 7/10/2020 at 7:42 PM, Garufa said:

Your statement confuses me as it makes no sense, but I understand the last part.  LGS’s won’t take a .40 if you gave it to them, that I have seen.

I should have said no one buys 40 anymore...Wont be a big seller for Glock but I have owned many and keep ONE 40 pistol on hand

The great thing about 40 is when there is an ammo shortage and 9MM vanishes 40 is always ready to fight 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, SonnyCrockett said:

The great thing about 40 is when there is an ammo shortage and 9MM vanishes 40 is always ready to fight 

I’m beginning to see what you all mean about always being able to find .40. I bought a new .380 from Bill’s Outpost in Maryville (great people btw. My first pistol from there and I had a great experience!). Anyway, I spent the next 3 hours looking for more .380 rounds. FINALLY called Harvey’s and they had some target loads for $18 for 50 rounds. But the three places I went to first, had plenty of .40 S&W. 

I hate you guys. 🤦🏻‍♂️

• 3 weeks later...

I have to be careful; I don’t want this to turn into a caliber war. I work for an agency that has vowed to stick with .40s.  It was decided long before the ammo shortage even started and before the oversees contract for Gen 5 .40 Glocks was announced.  We just didn’t see the reason to switch. I can’t recall the last time we had someone fail to qualify and we have even recently had some agents bring the top shot award back from various schools with them using a Glock 23. 

I try to keep up with agency handguns across the state. Ten years ago, and maybe as recently as five years ago, we didn’t have single state or local agency issuing or requiring 9mm.  There were a few, very few, feds with 9mm.  In July of 2020,  I think TN has a three way tie for 9mm, 357 Sig, and 40s&w being the most popular LE calibers in the state. I think .357 Sig may be dying a slow death. If THP ever dumps the 357 Sig a lot of TN agencies will follow.  Some of my friends at Hamilton County SO and Bradley County SO said it will be be near impossible for them to switch calibers because a good 90% of their handguns are deputy owned.  It would be a logistical nightmare for agencies like theirs to reimburse officers to upgrade to a new caliber unless they did a slow integration and just allowed deputies and new hires to adopt the new caliber. Then you have to stock two calibers of ammo. That seems to be very common for sheriff’s departments to require deputies to buy their own and it’s been 40s for two decades or more. A few local PDs have the same practice.

I heard an explanation for 40 being readily available over everything else this go around. Citizens that shoot a lot tend to shoot a lot of 9 and 45 so of course they are hoarding those. A lot of civilians with a .40 keep a box or two around at most. However, I recently heard the ammo manufacturers are running all the plants wide open the best they can.  The 9mm side of the plant can’t easily produce 40 and vice versa. If each line can produce 100k rounds a day, and more people are buying 9mm, it is the reason the shelves are still stocked and getting replenished with 40. 

If you like to shoot, and you don’t have multiple calibers and are stockpiling all ammo you find cheap, you are doing it wrong.

Edited by Patton
  • Like 1