On-demand 3D printing service

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Loudcherokee @MikeF1000 hey guys I decided to post this here so that if anyone else is interested they can reference this as well. the total print time on the V2 version it is 43 hours print time, on the V1 version it is 44 hours. I will need to post-process some items. I will do it in ABS or PETG because you're going to want the strength. I priced it out to a number of other services and the typical was ~115$ I will do it for 70$ for just the print for 85$ ill throw in hardware and assembly. Shipping is flat rate. Let me know what you think. 

Can you tell by those designs what the difference is between the two versions? Looking at the renderings tells me nothing lol. I don't understand it enough. 

I think on one of the videos he mentioned a way to eliminate the small brace piece that mounts to the bench, which would be important to me since I have a 7" in line mount so it wouldn't reach my bench. Either that or a longer brace piece to reach. 

LC

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished a Spade grip for an ar-15. going out to a good home! the original designer is mussy on thingiverse. the link for mussy's page and the spade grip is included below. He has a lot of really cool things that he throws up on his page every-week.  If makers have their tipping set-up on thinigiverse every print i make i give a 5% tip to the designer from the profits of the print. Also, if you have things on thingiverse and people are printing your stuff HAVE YOUR TIPPING Set-up!!!!! people can't tip you otherwise and you're missing out on making some money for your troubles.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3488750

https://www.thingiverse.com/mussy/designs

If you have a design like this or any others that you have the STLs to make and you want it shoot me a PM and we can make it happen!

20200902_225020.jpg

20200902_225024.jpg

20200902_225033.jpg

20200902_225227.jpg

3 hours ago, Mseals22 said:

Just finished a Spade grip for an ar-15. going out to a good home! the original designer is mussy on thingiverse. the link for mussy's page and the spade grip is included below. He has a lot of really cool things that he throws up on his page every-week.  If makers have their tipping set-up on thinigiverse every print i make i give a 5% tip to the designer from the profits of the print. Also, if you have things on thingiverse and people are printing your stuff HAVE YOUR TIPPING Set-up!!!!! people can't tip you otherwise and you're missing out on making some money for your troubles.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3488750

https://www.thingiverse.com/mussy/designs

If you have a design like this or any others that you have the STLs to make and you want it shoot me a PM and we can make it happen!

20200902_225020.jpg

20200902_225024.jpg

20200902_225033.jpg

20200902_225227.jpg

I'd just like a 80% to fool with lol

Not like I can't and have made my own but I want the experience.

1 hour ago, Tobashadow said:

I'd just like a 80% to fool with lol

Not like I can't and have made my own but I want the experience.

I think you can still find them pretty cheap around. last i saw, maybe a month ago, there were still a bunch floating around. I dont think the ammo-pocalypse 2020 got to them yet.

On 9/15/2020 at 9:25 PM, RED333 said:

Mseals, if you can use this send me a pm

1600223018714960450894.jpg

3mm!!!  That's the thick stuff.   

On 9/15/2020 at 12:09 PM, Mseals22 said:

Also, if you have things on thingiverse and people are printing your stuff HAVE YOUR TIPPING Set-up!!!!! people can't tip you otherwise and you're missing out on making some money for your troubles.

20200902_225227.jpg

What receiver jig is that?  

Also, good note about the tips. I may get there one day but so far I've not done anything special enough for tipping.   I'd rather the stuff just be available if anyone needs it.  

1 hour ago, Capbyrd said:

3mm!!!  That's the thick stuff.   

What receiver jig is that?  

Also, good note about the tips. I may get there one day but so far I've not done anything special enough for tipping.   I'd rather the stuff just be available if anyone needs it.  

It's an 80% lower that I haven't machined out yet. I keep a couple around for stuff like that.

I'm the same way, I do a lot of PCB cad and a lot of boards i just let float out there for whoever needs them. The guy who Made that spade grip doesn't have his tipping set-up, but he does absolutely beautiful work, and I like to drop people a little cash for their trouble if a print is commissioned just because I know how hard it is to sit down and work out a design like that. I generally like open-source concepts i just can't really bring myself to disregard someone else's work if not even to give them credit by mentioning the source of the print came from.😅

15 minutes ago, Mseals22 said:

It's an 80% lower that I haven't machined out yet. I keep a couple around for stuff like that.

Not the receiver, the jig it is sitting in.  I've been looking for a lower receiver bench block and haven't run across one yet.  Only thing I've found is a lower receiver engraving jig.  It holds the receiver still but it isn't set up for punching pins in and out.  I don't think I'm good enough with Tinkercad to design my own yet so I really don't want to have to try but if I don't find something soon, I'm going to have to. 

10 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

Not the receiver, the jig it is sitting in.  I've been looking for a lower receiver bench block and haven't run across one yet.  Only thing I've found is a lower receiver engraving jig.  It holds the receiver still but it isn't set up for punching pins in and out.  I don't think I'm good enough with Tinkercad to design my own yet so I really don't want to have to try but if I don't find something soon, I'm going to have to. 

I am not sure that is a jig. has a post at the bottom. I thiink it is meant to mount on a tripod or such to have a swivel point. My guess is tgat the trigger opening would be machined out later so you could use it. Or left that way if you were just displaying it. Jusy my WAG.

41 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

I am not sure that is a jig. has a post at the bottom. I thiink it is meant to mount on a tripod or such to have a swivel point. My guess is tgat the trigger opening would be machined out later so you could use it. Or left that way if you were just displaying it. Jusy my WAG.

Wait I missed the thumb paddles... Do they work in some way???

53 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

That's not what I'm talking about.  That's the spade grip he printed.  And that screw is for fastening it to the receiver extension tube.  I'm talking about the black thing underneath the receiver in the white. 

1 hour ago, Capbyrd said:

That's not what I'm talking about.  That's the spade grip he printed.  And that screw is for fastening it to the receiver extension tube.  I'm talking about the black thing underneath the receiver in the white. 

Take a look at the second pic in his original post about the spade grip. It is the same thing covering the trigger guard as is under the lower in the pic you referred to.

Are you looking for something like this?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016339811

3 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

@Mseals22

Just curious and this may not be the best model. How long would it take to print a 30 round magazine to usable spec. I am sure it would be more economical on most days to just order a few Magpul, I am just curious how it would compare. 

https://grabcad.com/library/ar15-30-round-magazine-2

Well, It depends on the material and the post processing methods. You could make them out of ABS pretty cheap and they would be strong and fairly flexible. You could make them out of nylon too if you were really so inclined but nylon us expensive and painful. Best method may be to manufacture from ABS then further fuse the layers with heat or a solvent like acitone. Magpul has manufacturing capabilities of course to pump put tons of mags so they're always gonna be cheaper. I couldnt compete in price for one-offs. Now if I dedicated several printers to non-stop mag production then maybe I could get them down to 10~15 bucks a piece or so.  I'll go home and slice the model and estimate print time this evening. I would say its gonna be hard to have them stand-up to a Pmag from a durability stabd point. If you wanted to really qualify that I could print a couple and then take them to the materials lab at UT and have some colleagues do mechanical deformation tests compared to Pmags to really let people know what they're getting. 

Just now, Capbyrd said:

Exactly that.  But that I can print at home. 

Spent a few minutes looking. Looks like most designers went with a generic block to be used on a range of gun types. 

Times like this is when I really wish I had a 3d scanner to run over items. 

This might be something that could be modified though. Thicken the base and turn the posts into holes. 

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3011475

7 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

Spent a few minutes looking. Looks like most designers went with a generic block to be used on a range of gun types. 

Times like this is when I really wish I had a 3d scanner to run over items. 

This might be something that could be modified though. Thicken the base and turn the posts into holes. 

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3011475

That's been my plan.   But I'd also have to create a negative of it for the other side.   I've got some ideas in my head, I just need to start figuring out how to create them in 3d modeling programs. 

6 minutes ago, Mseals22 said:

Well, It depends on the material and the post processing methods. You could make them out of ABS pretty cheap and they would be strong and fairly flexible. You could make them out of nylon too if you were really so inclined but nylon us expensive and painful. Best method may be to manufacture from ABS then further fuse the layers with heat or a solvent like acitone. Magpul has manufacturing capabilities of course to pump put tons of mags so they're always gonna be cheaper. I couldnt compete in price for one-offs. Now if I dedicated several printers to non-stop mag production then maybe I could get them down to 10~15 bucks a piece or so.  I'll go home and slice the model and estimate print time this evening. I would say its gonna be hard to have them stand-up to a Pmag from a durability stabd point. If you wanted to really qualify that I could print a couple and then take them to the materials lab at UT and have some colleagues do mechanical deformation tests compared to Pmags to really let people know what they're getting. 

No, I know that small production levels will not compete with the large scale processes and that materials are totally different. This is more of an intellectual spur of the moment question. I would not spend a lot of time on it unless you want to try it out on your own. Some reasons that sprang to mind to cause me to ask are

Potential mag shortage - if it got as bad as ammo, then some people might want mags and not care for the higher cost or about long term durability. An AR-15 with no mag is a slow single shot.  So demand might cause printed mags to be viable. 

Customized items - Some people may be building a emerald green AR-15 for themselves and want a mag to match, even if it is really only for display purposes when not using it. Or a group wants some thing similar for everyone. 

Replacement parts - Maybe you have a cracked mag body but the follower, spring, and baseplate are good, Might be feasible to print a body and then just load it up with the guts if you don't want to toss it ot try to track down one online.

Like I said more an intellectual exercise. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have had a lot of interest recently from people out there looking for a shell feeder for their hornady lock and load. This is a model that was not created by me so I am not advertising this model to you specifically. I don't have any stockpile of these things sitting around, but what I would like to do is stream-line the process by placing a flat-rate on the production of specific models so that If you would like this model you can know up-front what it will cost you. I am doing the case feeder: print, assembly, finish, and hardware for 115$ which includes shipping. Included below is the link to the individual's thingiverse thing. I believe that the individual will also offer to print it for you if you would like. I haven't priced him so I don't know what he will print this model for or if he will offer assembly and shipping. The image below is of a recent print of this model that I had done for a member here. 

If you want this model let me know if you're using hornady tubes or 16mm tubes, or if you have a different color in mind besides red and I'll handle the rest.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3844226

20201005_164413.jpg

Archived