Weedeater String

• Moderators

So I have always just bought whatever cheap string at whatever store I’m at when I buy it. But recently I decided to do some research and find a high quality string. I decide to purchase a small package of Oregon Magnum Gatorline.

This stuff is square instead of round and it has an internal filament. Let me say, I’m very impressed!

It makes sense to have sharp edges (four of them) rather than round string. The internal filament supposedly adds to the strength. 

Let me just say, I just tried it for the first time today. Let me forewarn that weed-eating is never fun but this string is worth it and I was excited to try it today. I was able to chop through much larger weeds much easier than the misc cheap stuff.

However, it also eats through decking lattice and also throws rocks with much more force. I weed-eat a lot of area with gravel and the string lasts longer in those areas as well as, like I previously mentioned, throws stones with more force. The cheap stuff seemed to disintegrate very quickly in those areas. 

I will likely be buying a 685’ spoil of it next time around.

Just curious if anyone else is a fan or if you have any other string to recommend. 

• Like 1

I've never heard of that brand but have used .150 maybe ? square line for years. Cleaning fences usually involves tough field grass which can be a PITA and this line makes short work of it. One drawback is you cant run it too long as it will really kill your rpm's.

I would have already converted to an electric Milwaukee trimmer but I'm so use to that thick line I dont think the big red trimmer would be up to the task lol.

I'll check that line out 👍

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, Garufa said:

What weed-walking platform do you employ?  I assume a string trimmer as how else could a square line feed from a spool.

I forget the model but from my recollection a cheaper of the commercial Stihl products. It all winds on a spindle just like any other weed-water I’ve used. 

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, No_0ne said:

I discovered years ago that with weedeater string, like most things you get what you pay for ...

Lmao. 

I agree with that statement for most things in life. Guns. Tools. Knives. Electronics. 

In a few areas...I’m still learning.

donald duck laughing GIF

14 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

I use motorcycle chain. It’s expensive, but you get what you pay for and it lasts a long time.

I tried chain saw, jack chain, small cable and a few other things. I could not keep the home made stuff on more than a few minutes.

Please show a pic and explain how you made this work.

Here is the string I use

20200712_054233.jpg

Edited by RED333
Because I can
14 hours ago, FUJIMO said:

I've never heard of that brand but have used .150 maybe ? square line for years. Cleaning fences usually involves tough field grass which can be a PITA and this line makes short work of it. One drawback is you cant run it too long as it will really kill your rpm's.

I would have already converted to an electric Milwaukee trimmer but I'm so use to that thick line I dont think the big red trimmer would be up to the task lol.

I'll check that line out 👍

I picked up a Kobalt 80V trimmer a few years ago in hopes that my wife would use it (not even once) but I like it.  It tackles everything except overgrown brush well.  If it went out today I would replace it with the same.  Got the companion 80V blower, it's great too. 

Edited by 10-Ring
  • Like 1
15 hours ago, FUJIMO said:

I have the electric Milwaukee trimmer with the different quick lock feature. The hedge trimmer works great to keep the "tall stuff" at bay.

trimmer.jpg

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, RED333 said:

I have the electric Milwaukee trimmer with the different quick lock feature. The hedge trimmer works great to keep the "tall stuff" at bay.

trimmer.jpg

I am this (l) (l) close to buying that setup. The tool crib is littered with FUEL tools now as I lucked up and bought out a dealer a couple years back. That pole saw and the chainsaw keeps calling me.

I'll likely never go back to a gas trimmer. I don't even have a great battery powered unit and it still cuts through almost everything. I agree with the statement above that it will only struggle with real thick brush. 

2 hours ago, 10-Ring said:

I picked up a Kobalt 80V trimmer a few years ago in hopes that my wife would use it (not even once) but I like it.  It tackles everything except overgrown brush well.  If it went out today I would replace it with the same.  Got the companion 80V blower, it's great too. 

When we moved, I got the Kobalt 80V trimmer, blower, and push mower. We have small lot and the push mower is plenty. They work great and the wife loves the mower. I haven't actually mowed more than twice this year. 

Yes, she has sisters but they are already spoken for.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, RED333 said:

trimmer.jpg

How long will it run til you need to change batteries? How long do the batteries last until they will no longer hold a charge?

I would definitely like that setup better than my cheap Ryobi two stroke setup.

20 minutes ago, nightrunner said:

Why’d you have to marry ALL of them? 

Leave some for the rest of us.

I only married one (the best of the bunch, BTW)! She's all I need.

Most people ask if she has sisters when I shooting a birthday present from a few years ago: Nighthawk T3T.

1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

How long will it run til you need to change batteries? How long do the batteries last until they will no longer hold a charge?

I would definitely like that setup better than my cheap Ryobi two stroke setup.

It all depends on what amp hour battery you use. The string trimmer will last about 1.5 hours with steady use, the hedge trimmer a little less with a 9 amp hour. If you can use the hedge trimmer for 30 mins straight you are doing something, it is a bit heavy. As far as batters have not had an issue yet. My son has had the chain saw for 2 years now and no battery issue, it is a beast. The battery will last long long enough to fill a small truck cutting 3" to 5" logs, that is with a 12 amp hour battery.

• Like 1

My 20yr old craftsman gas trimmer finally quit so I got ryobi 18V trimmer a couple months ago.  I already had a couple drills so it made sense to have common batteries. It does my half acre lot (with 2 big flowerbeds) easily on a 4.2mAh battery. Takes me about 30 mins. 

It also uses the same string as the old one which is 0.080" and a round/square hybrid. Its mostly round but has 2 raised edges. It works well enough, I've got about half of a fairly large spool to use up before I got shopping for something different. 

7 hours ago, RED333 said:

trimmer.jpg

Damnit.  Why did you have to post that.  Now I really want that whole setup.

8 hours ago, RED333 said:

trimmer.jpg

That looks very interesting. Is that a dual head trimmer on the left? Looks kinda strange. Don't have a batter pole saw though, but these things are dandy for quick trimming. Just 

I just bought some Ryobi tools. The 6 in 1 box and a charger unit(separate...I didn't realize that until later). Used the drills and tried out the Sawsall. Everything seems to work fine.

I had bought one of the Ryobi 40 trimmers last year, but never used it. I think also a blower with it. I don't remember.

Unlikely I'll be doing very much yard work, but I like having tools available when I want them.

Having said all that, I do like Milwaukee tools.

Edited by hipower
17 minutes ago, hipower said:

That looks very interesting. Is that a dual head trimmer on the left? Looks kinda strange. Don't have a batter pole saw though, but these things are dandy for quick trimming. Just 

I just bought some Ryobi tools. The 6 in 1 box and a charger unit(separate...I didn't realize that until later). Used the drills and tried out the Sawsall. Everything seems to work fine.

I had bought one of the Ryobi 40 trimmers last year, but never used it. I think also a blower with it. I don't remember.

Unlikely I'll be doing very much yard work, but I like having tools available when I want them.

Having said all that, I do like Milwaukee tools.

I think that's just 1 head and a guard.