carbide dies for 9mm luger??

Hi guys I was looking for a 9mm die set and looks like Christmas 2021 maybe. I found a used set, but I don't think they are carbide. If I am not planning on loading a pickup truck load of 9mm's do you think non carbide ones will do the trick?? Thanks Mac

Yes, with steel dies the cases will require lube. I started reloading using steel dies many years ago and now all my straight wall sizing dies are carbide. Brownells has the Hornady brand in stock for 9mm for about $50.

• Like 1

Lee has a 4 die set with the carbide die included......if you an find them. Been using mine for years. They are not expensive & as good as anybody's, IMHO.

Be sure to follow the setup directions for carbide, when screwing against the ram. It can crack if you set it too tight.

Midway doesn’t have as many sets in stock, but they do have some.  They have a Lee 3 die set in stock.  I believe this consists of a sizer, a powder-thru-expander, and a seater.  You would need to add a crimp die.  You may or may not need the powder-thru-expander, depending on what press you have.  On the other hand, you can forget the set and buy whatever dies you need individually.  Midway has plenty individual dies in stock.

ETA:  I would get a separate seat and crimp die if your press has the space.  

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 1

The Lee three die set does in fact crimp, just not as fancy as the “factory crimp die”.  

What @xsubsailor said about what Midway has in stock is the way to go if you want that crimp die.  Buying separately only costs a few bucks more if you don’t want to wait for the Deluxe set.

Edited by Garufa
5 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Guess I’m odd, but t I actually prefer Lee dies to other brands. The price difference is just icing on the cake.

I started with Lee dies in the mid 80's, mostly because of cost.  I have been "upgrading" to used RCBS dies these last few years, again because of cost.  I find that Lee dies are great for general reloading, but lacked a bit when forming brass for different calibers such as 300Blk.  They worked, but needed tweaks and tricks to get it right.  

14 minutes ago, Omega said:

I started with Lee dies in the mid 80's, mostly because of cost.  I have been "upgrading" to used RCBS dies these last few years, again because of cost.  I find that Lee dies are great for general reloading, but lacked a bit when forming brass for different calibers such as 300Blk.  They worked, but needed tweaks and tricks to get it right.  

Now I have never done any forming, but for reloading, I have been very pleased with Lee dies. I especially like the way their lock rings are made. You don’t need an Allen wrench to adjust them.

1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

Now I have never done any forming, but for reloading, I have been very pleased with Lee dies. I especially like the way their lock rings are made. You don’t need an Allen wrench to adjust them.

Yea, never had any equipment issues with Lee when reloading regular rounds.  It wasn't until I started doing 300Blk and 277WLV that I had to size-turn-size and even took a bit off the shell holder.  Like I said, it worked, but had to tweak my process a little.  Honestly I don't know why I started going RCBS with all my dies lately, maybe because a bunch of them were available at a discounted price, and they are "supposed" to be better than Lee.  

• Like 1