F1 suppressor, in progress

Decided to skip the 12-month queue with the ATF's turn-around times on retail cans, and am making my own suppressor. 

• 8" x 1.65" tube
  • Dedicated 300 BLK subs
  • Cherry Bomb muzzle adapter
  • Titanium, grade 9 w/ SS blast baffle

Anyone else make their own cans? Have any inputs on baffle spacing, distal chamber size, etc? I've been working with a machinist or two to get the right stuff. Using a Sieg X2D mini-mill for doing the holes and clips, gonna also start an 80% build with it [Judas Priest noises intensify]

108015399_295472578266837_1705141630220190318_n.jpg

• Like 1

I received a F1 stamp on June 30th, the wait time was 5 weeks.  I went the solvent kit route for a .22 build.  Used a drill press to drill the seven baffles.  I'm very pleased with the final result.  It's definitely quieter than my commercial .22 suppressor, but it's twice the size too, so it's no surprise.  The drilling took less than an hour, and then I checked the coincentricity with a guide rod.   I had the tube engraving done by Tennessee Suppressor Shop on their laser engraver.

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

I want to but I don't have any of the necessary equipment.   

Start with a good solvent trap, many come with indents to center the hole.  The only thing you would need is a hand drill, or drill press.  I got some equipment when the Hearing Protection Act was getting traction so I could make my own, but have stored it due to it's dismal failure.  I refuse to pay for the tax stamp, so all components will stay as-is until the HPA passes or SHTF.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Omega said:

Start with a good solvent trap, many come with indents to center the hole.  The only thing you would need is a hand drill, or drill press.  I got some equipment when the Hearing Protection Act was getting traction so I could make my own, but have stored it due to it's dismal failure.  I refuse to pay for the tax stamp, so all components will stay as-is until the HPA passes or SHTF.

No thank you.   I'm not interested in having my name in one of their books. 

1 minute ago, Capbyrd said:

No thank you.   I'm not interested in having my name in one of their books. 

Yea, I get that, though by now you and I, as are many here, are probably on quite a few "lists".

Just now, Omega said:

Yea, I get that, though by now you and I, as are many here, are probably on quite a few "lists".

Oh I'm not talking about the ATF.  I'm talking about the "solvent trap" company.  ATF hates 80% suppressors and will eventually find a way to raid them just like they did with that 80% ar receiver company.  When they do, I don't want my name in the customer records.  

Just now, Capbyrd said:

Oh I'm not talking about the ATF.  I'm talking about the "solvent trap" company.  ATF hates 80% suppressors and will eventually find a way to raid them just like they did with that 80% ar receiver company.  When they do, I don't want my name in the customer records.  

Meh, not worried about that myself.  If it's currently legal I don't worry about it; as with anything it can be made illegal with a stroke of a pen so not going to live my life worrying on what they may do in the future.  If you have the Form-1 approved, the solvent trap will not be an issue and you can always buy the pieces from other than solvent trap companies.

14 hours ago, Jackalope said:

I received a F1 stamp on June 30th, the wait time was 5 weeks.  I went the solvent kit route for a .22 build.  Used a drill press to drill the seven baffles.  I'm very pleased with the final result.  It's definitely quieter than my commercial .22 suppressor, but it's twice the size too, so it's no surprise.  The drilling took less than an hour, and then I checked the coincentricity with a guide rod.   I had the tube engraving done by Tennessee Suppressor Shop on their laser engraver.

What kit did you build? I just ordered my new host rifle for the can so the next step is kit. I am looking at the .22 kit from quiet bore at the moment.

2 minutes ago, hipower said:

More precisely phrased for you. lol

Like I said, I wasn't talking about the ATF.  They KNOW me.    I was talking about the companies that ATF will raid and shut down the first chance that they get. 

2 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

Like I said, I wasn't talking about the ATF.  They KNOW me.    I was talking about the companies that ATF will raid and shut down the first chance that they get. 

I think still relavant. I don't for one second believe that every item we buy that is even remotely connected to firearms isn't cataloged in some system. Company  records, Credit card and debit card logs, even cash purchases logged in on some sort of purchase recording systems. Banking records and such aren't private any, if they ever have been. 

Oh...it's only for my company sales records. No one else will ever see it. BOVINE SCATOLOGY!

For the last 20+years at least...Big Brother, aka our own government officials have kept track of our actions. Phone taps, online devices recording key words and phrases, our neighbors even!

We are watched from cradle to grave. With records to match every action. Mobile cameras, traffic cams, insurance devices to monitor your car AND your movements. Police cams.

Heck supposedly our own smartphones, laptops, and dinosaurish PCs. All can be watched and recorded. The camera links on these devices, the data millions of us willing send out in stupid, insipid photos, tweets, and whatever other method is in vogue today.

Not trying to be argumentative, I just don't believe the privacy we think we have actually exists anymore.

Ok. Emotionally spent. No more today. Ranting done.    Maybe.

• Like 3
43 minutes ago, hipower said:

I think still relavant. I don't for one second believe that every item we buy that is even remotely connected to firearms isn't cataloged in some system. Company  records, Credit card and debit card logs, even cash purchases logged in on some sort of purchase recording systems. Banking records and such aren't private any, if they ever have been. 

Oh...it's only for my company sales records. No one else will ever see it. BOVINE SCATOLOGY!

For the last 20+years at least...Big Brother, aka our own government officials have kept track of our actions. Phone taps, online devices recording key words and phrases, our neighbors even!

We are watched from cradle to grave. With records to match every action. Mobile cameras, traffic cams, insurance devices to monitor your car AND your movements. Police cams.

Heck supposedly our own smartphones, laptops, and dinosaurish PCs. All can be watched and recorded. The camera links on these devices, the data millions of us willing send out in stupid, insipid photos, tweets, and whatever other method is in vogue today.

Not trying to be argumentative, I just don't believe the privacy we think we have actually exists anymore.

Ok. Emotionally spent. No more today. Ranting done.    Maybe.

Only records I believe truly disappear are Clinton's emails.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, felinesNfreedom said:

What kit did you build? I just ordered my new host rifle for the can so the next step is kit. I am looking at the .22 kit from quiet bore at the moment.

I purchased my kit from a vendor at one of the Knoxville gun shows.  If someone wanted to be completely off the books, I suppose they could pay cash.  Anyways, purchasing from them allowed me to see different sizes of tubes, and the differences in baffles.  Since the one I built is for .22, I went with stainless steel for the baffle next to the blast chamber, and aluminum alloy for the other six baffles.  Overall the fit is very good and it looks like a commercial suppressor.   Their kits come in various lengths and diameters, depending upon the caliber of the build.  I don't know if they have a website, but their e-mail address is solventtubes (at) gmail.com  They mentioned they do a number of larger gunshows.  I'm very happy with mine and it is dedicated to a Ruger precision rimfire rifle, with a night vision scope.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/16/2020 at 9:22 AM, Jackalope said:

I purchased my kit from a vendor at one of the Knoxville gun shows.  If someone wanted to be completely off the books, I suppose they could pay cash.  Anyways, purchasing from them allowed me to see different sizes of tubes, and the differences in baffles.  Since the one I built is for .22, I went with stainless steel for the baffle next to the blast chamber, and aluminum alloy for the other six baffles.  Overall the fit is very good and it looks like a commercial suppressor.   Their kits come in various lengths and diameters, depending upon the caliber of the build.  I don't know if they have a website, but their e-mail address is solventtubes (at) gmail.com  They mentioned they do a number of larger gunshows.  I'm very happy with mine and it is dedicated to a Ruger precision rimfire rifle, with a night vision scope.

Just picked up a similar kit at the Lebanon show today. Same guy. What diameter drill did you use? I'm going to submit my form on Monday 

9/32"   That was the size recommended to me by someone that had constructed a similar suppressor.  It's large enough to allow the projectile to pass, but it's small enough to diminish the sonic wave.  Remember not to do any drilling until you have the tax stamp in hand.

Edited by Jackalope
54 minutes ago, Jackalope said:

9/32"   That was the size recommended to me by someone that had constructed a similar suppressor.  It's large enough to allow the projectile to pass, but it's small enough to diminish the sonic wave.  Remember not to do any drilling until you have the tax stamp in hand.

Roger that!