.22TCM .22 Magnum .17HMR

Henry347

Looking at buying another small caliber rifle, got a bunch of .22lr's but wanting something different. I sighted in the RIA .22TCM Rifle for a buddy and man that thing is sweet. Got a bark to it also. The only thing concerns me about it is ammo selection, can only get it at local gun shops. It runs around $20 for a box of 50 and only Armscor is making it I think.

Main use will be shooting hogs over corn on my lease and Varmint control. Do know that all three will do the job with the right shot placement. When I'm hunting over corn all I take is a .22lr and it's taking a fair share of wild hogs. 

Looking for some opinions.

I would want the most muzzle energy I could for the purpose.

The TCM will have the most, followed by 22 Mag, and then 17HMR.    Downside as you mention is its cost.  It is over double the cost per round than 22 Mag, but it has double the energy.

22 Mag - 40 grain bullet with a velocity of 1,910 fps in a 22" rifle barrel has 324 ft-lbs 

22TCM - 40 grain bullet with a velocity of 2,752 fps in a 22" rifle barrel has 673 ft.-lbs

20grain 17hmr at 2,2350fps is 250 ft-lb

Note also that 22TCM isn't SAAMI approved so if you did want to reload, it may have some challenges.  Not saying people don't, but there isn't a set spec as I understand it.  Neither of the others can be reloaded so not really an issue for the comparison, just something to know if you do consider that.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 2

I'm leaning very hard towards the TCM, it's just a oddball and not seen often. Will say that the one I sighted in was very accurate, even with a cheap fixed power scope. It was the wood stock version with the 22in barrel. The one I'm looking at is the tactical version with a 20in barrel I think. Would like the extra energy that comes with the TCM, especially for my purpose. The little old LR works great but not much room for error on shot placement.

As for the ammo I'm not too concerned about the price just availability, just hoping it's not something that as times and laws change the ammo becomes non existent.

If you are going to go Centerfire, you may also consider one of the 300 blackout bolt guns.   Would make a good hog gun that can be suppressed (if you are into that) and is easily reloadable.  Would have better energy as well.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

If you are going to go Centerfire, you may also consider one of the 300 blackout bolt guns.   Would make a good hog gun that can be suppressed (if you are into that) and is easily reloadable.  Would have better energy as well.

I got a .450 I use at a couple different feeder setups and can tell you that it does work on them. I took my cousin last week and he shot one in the 150lb range right snack dab behind the eye and lets just say they wasn't much left on the other side. Probably my favorite round for under 200 yards.

I got plenty of centerfire rifles and a few .22lr, just wanting another gun lol you know how it is. Just not made my mind up on what I want. I like the TCM but the ammo selection is what worries me. It's been out for awhile and nobody other than Armscor is making it.

My other option which I'm likely to go with is a .223 bolt gun, I dont have one and the ammo and price is a clear win over the TCM but man that little thing is sweet no doubt. I can always get a TCM later, good thing about guns is you can never have to many

Edited by Henry347
1 hour ago, Handsome Rob said:

If you're looking for close range, piggable & '4 season safe' have you considered a .17WSM?

20gn at 3000fps, 400ft/lb?

It sits nicely between the .22mag & TCM

I really want then to neck this up to about .25 caliber. That would make my giggle but I couldn't tell you why, exactly.

• 4 weeks later...