Home security camera suggestions

23 minutes ago, Dirtshooter said:

I searched for this before I started this. Thanks Mac

And you didn't find an answer ?

You're looking for a system that he can check while away from home but without using wifi ?

11 hours ago, Dirtshooter said:

does anyone have any suggestions on a system? 

The two big factors for determining which cameras to buy are 1. do you have AC power available at the camera, and 2. the range of your Wi-Fi.

If you have AC power the cameras will record 24/7. Without, they use rechargeable batteries and only record when they detect movement.

I use NEST. I get notifications on movement or sounds and can check my cameras from anywhere.

RING now has a nice outdoor floodlight with a camera. So you can just replace a floodlight that is there and have 24/7 recording with notifications.

Doing it without Wi-Fi would require hard wired cameras. Adding Wi-Fi would probably be cheaper and less hassle.

This is 2020 and digital home systems are becoming very popular. Being compatible with whatever home system you choose would be a consideration. NEST was purchased by Google and is part of “Google Home”. I’m not happy with that, Google is too big to give any real customer support, but that seems to be the norm now.

I have a Ring spotlight and can't recommend it. Our's gives so many false alarms it is about worthless. Bugs set it off, rain sometimes sets it off, absolutely nothing sets it off. I used to get 20-30 false alarms each nite. Ring has a forum and when I posted there were hundred of the same complaints. Then overnight the complaints disappeared and there are no more negative posts.

However I have a ring doorbell that works good. ???

8 hours ago, Glenn said:

I have a Ring spotlight and can't recommend it. Our's gives so many false alarms it is about worthless. Bugs set it off, rain sometimes sets it off, absolutely nothing sets it off. I used to get 20-30 false alarms each nite. Ring has a forum and when I posted there were hundred of the same complaints. Then overnight the complaints disappeared and there are no more negative posts.

However I have a ring doorbell that works good. ???

My NEST cameras go off a lot, but I don’t call them “false alarms” because there is always something that caused it. I can go right to the video and its marked so I can see what happened. Do you have settings or sensitivity you can change?

I can set different levels both inside and outside my “zone” I have setup. Mine is set to detect both motion and people inside the zone, so that’s what it does. I suspect if I set it to people only it wouldn’t detect a vehicle, but I don’t know that for sure. I also have it set to alert on sound (except on July 4th weekend). I’m 100 yards from the street, so if there is a sound; I want to know. If you are in a noisy area, you can turn those notifications off, or adjust the sensitivity of the microphone.

Since Google has taken over NEST, my notifications take too long. Sometimes several minutes.

Last year Walmart clearances out a Nightowl 4 camera system for 75 bucks.   I bought one.  I have been happy with it.   Although remote access is slow.  Slow to the point of being unusable for anything other than live feeds.  If I need to go back through something, the interface in the DVR is the way to go.  The cameras are hardwired which I prefer and unlike Dave was mentioning, the power is all done at the DVR so you don't need power at each camera.  

Personally, I don't want a cloud based service.  I don't like cloud storage for anything, especially camera views of my house.  I don't use home assistants because I already have a phone listening all of the time and that's more than I want.  I also don't want monthly fees and don't trust the cloud services to not change their policy down the road to include monthly fees.  

• Like 1

Wyze  $20 Dollars.  Plug it in runs off WiFi or has sd card for week or so recording or free 14 day cloud storage. Nothing else to buy or join unless you go with upper plans. I have my idoor camera shooting out night/day. They also have a dedicated outdoor camera. Quality at a fraction of price. Neighbors have a Ring and I was not impressed.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Will said:

Wyze  $20 Dollars.  Plug it in runs off WiFi or has sd card for week or so recording or free 14 day cloud storage. Nothing else to buy or join unless you go with upper plans. I have my idoor camera shooting out night/day. They also have a dedicated outdoor camera. Quality at a fraction of price. Neighbors have a Ring and I was not impressed.

I have a couple, there great for the price

• 2 weeks later...

i like the ring cams for quick down n dirty deployment. the 100 bucks a year for storage is nothing. best part i like is when neighbors complain and send warnings out like shots fired, gunshots heard etc, its even more fun when you fire a bunch of rounds in your yard,and watch them go crazy on the neighborhood  ring group bitching about it. what sucks about all of this junk is the resolution is so low, good luck reading a license plate from 30 feet away. if youre serious, invest in some nice megapixel cams and have them professional installed....