Jump to content
DaveTN

Fairbairn–Sykes fighting knife

Recommended Posts

I thought this would be a good addition to my knife collection. While I’m not willing to invest in an original there are a couple of quality reproductions.

Sheffield Cutlery offers a reproduction in both a polished blade or black.

https://www.amazon.com/sheffieldcutleryshop-GENUINE-COMMANDO-SHEFFIELD-FAIRBAIRN/dp/B07CV21YG3/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=sheffieldcutleryshop&qid=1595509787&sr=8-2

EJZQNep.jpg

Gerber makes a spin off of this knife called the Mark II. It was used quite a bit in Vietnam. I don’t care for a serrated blade, and that appears to be the only way they make it. But I’ve been very happy with the quality of everything I’ve had from Gerber.

https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Mark-II-Knife-22-01874/dp/B0017KXAGS/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2U67LTZBTLTCJ&dchild=1&keywords=gerber+mark+2&qid=1595511159&sprefix=Gerber+Mark%2Caps%2C178&sr=8-1

dA6k5vd.jpg

Please posts comments or pics of your fighting knifes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Fairbairn-Sykes has always been a favorite of mine but originals were crazy expensive even when I was a kid, so I got this Gerber Mark II in 1981.

spacer.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DaveTN said:

Gerber makes a spin off of this knife called the Mark II. It was used quite a bit in Vietnam. I don’t care for a serrated blade, and that appears to be the only way they make it. But I’ve been very happy with the quality of everything I’ve had from Gerber.

Gerber does indeed make an unserrated version of this -- in fact, I'm pretty sure the original Mark II was unserrated -- but over the years there have been far more of the serrated versions produced.  Look on eBay and the knife auction sites and you can still find unserrated ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

FYI, The newer Gerber brand knives are not what they use to be... 

Edited by hughd
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do any of you know where to get the real deal officially issued ones? I have a customer that wants one 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ocassionally see MarkII and MarkI knives on ebay but they are expensive.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'll need a Smatchet to go along with...

Cold Steel makes one for about $30.

Or, a high end model is over $200...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, willis68 said:

Thanks for the heads up. I just purchased one.

I watched a movie on Prime a few days ago about the six men who earned these daggers or similar prior to going on secret mission to steal German radar secrets. 

784DBF94-0FAC-404B-8212-CAC99844736C.thumb.jpeg.22206b972d67064a3dc1535e87787e8a.jpeg

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Links2k said:

Thanks for the heads up. I just purchased one.

I watched a movie on Prime a few days ago about the six men who earned these daggers or similar prior to going on secret mission to steal German radar secrets. 

784DBF94-0FAC-404B-8212-CAC99844736C.thumb.jpeg.22206b972d67064a3dc1535e87787e8a.jpeg

 

How much was the shipping?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Moped said:

How much was the shipping?

Ten pounds. Just a little over thirteen dollars. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Links2k said:

Thanks for the heads up. I just purchased one.

Please let us know when it arrives and share your thoughts.  That’s still a lot of pounds but y’all drug up an old obsession.  :crazy:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Garufa said:

Please let us know when it arrives and share your thoughts.  That’s still a lot of pounds but y’all drug up an old obsession.  :crazy:

Will do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, willis68 said:

Do any of you know where to get the real deal officially issued ones? I have a customer that wants one 

Maybe. I'll do some calling tomorrow and find out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Damn it, y’all. 

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, hipower said:

Maybe. I'll do some calling tomorrow and find out.

Thanks but No need, he wanted the English ones he ordered one of each and is very happy 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Damn it, y’all. 

So those guys in the UK are going to be saying “What the bloody heck is going on in Tennessee mate?”

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was working on a pink Cuda with the 505 in it last night. I was having a few beers. Did you know a knife takes over a month to get here from  England?  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, alleycat72 said:

I was working on a pink Cuda with the 505 in it last night. I was having a few beers. Did you know a knife takes over a month to get here from  England?  

They say that, but you might be pleasantly surprised. We've ordered a few things from Ireland with similar shipping times.  They showed up in less than 2 weeks. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, peejman said:

They say that, but you might be pleasantly surprised. We've ordered a few things from Ireland with similar shipping times.  They showed up in less than 2 weeks. 

I’m in no rush. It will be just another box that shows up at my house.  With the wife working from home, the two of us have FedEx,UPS and USPS delivering something everyday.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Links2k said:

I’m in no rush. It will be just another box that shows up at my house.  With the wife working from home, the two of us have FedEx,UPS and USPS delivering something everyday.

That’s the thing I had knives coming from Virginia that took nearly a month with the way this pandemic is going you may get your knives quicker from England than from anywhere in the US best way to be is not be in a rush these days for anything 

Edited by willis68
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, willis68 said:

That’s the thing I had knives coming from Virginia that took nearly a month with the way this pandemic is going you may get your knives quicker from England than from anywhere in the US best way to be is not be in a rush these days for anything 

Ain't that the truth. I ordered something from a guy in Mich. on the 20th. Below is the tracking path for it.  It actually departed Detroit 3 days in a row (same message but date changed). Same thing in Nashua NH. with the top message.  Detroit to NH to western Tn. It's taking the scenic route.

Another one spent 3 days in the Baton Rouge, La. post office before it supposedly left. :waiting:

postal.png 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

The Fine Print

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions. TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines