Fairbairn–Sykes fighting knife

5 minutes ago, hipower said:

That's gorgeous!

Most of what Les makes is.  Seriously, if yall are into knives, keep an eye on Les' store and be ready to buy.  You won't be sorry.  Also, he isn't far from us down in Blue Springs Mississippi. 

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

Most of what Les makes is.  Seriously, if yall are into knives, keep an eye on Les' store and be ready to buy.  You won't be sorry.  Also, he isn't far from us down in Blue Springs Mississippi. 

I had no idea he was in Blue Springs! Less than an hour from me. 

30 minutes ago, maroonandwhite said:

I had no idea he was in Blue Springs! Less than an hour from me. 

Chad Nichols has been down there forever.  And Chad hosted a lot of events down there.  Well a few years back Les George and Brian Fellhoelter were both looking to move and both of them moved to Mississippi.  Brian went a little further south though.   Memphis has a ton of great custom makers within a few hours drive.  

• Like 2
On 8/2/2020 at 10:34 AM, peejman said:

They say that, but you might be pleasantly surprised. We've ordered a few things from Ireland with similar shipping times.  They showed up in less than 2 weeks. 

It came today. They didn't do a whole lot of sharpening to it. It's heavy for its size. I like the heft.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, alleycat72 said:

It came today. They didn't do a whole lot of sharpening to it. It's heavy for its size. I like the heft.

The hlack of heft is one of the things I didn't like about the Gerber Mark II that I had back in the 80's.  It like I was holding a wooden stick, instead of a knife.  I guess if you were a trained knife fighter, you might want that.  But for a field knife, which was what I was trying to use it as, it was pretty useless.  I sold it after a while and moved to KABAR.  I thought the KABAR was a much better field/fighing knife, a jack of all trades.

37 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Are you pleased?

I’m satisfied. It’s a little lighter than I expected, but I  doubt I’ll be using it for anything. I was just curious about the knife because I recently watched a Prime movie about the first guys to receive the knife.  I still have the Navy Seal knife the I purchased from Willis.  I have carried it a few times.  I can’t think of a real use for this dagger unless I decide to become a ninja.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/11/2020 at 8:38 AM, Moped said:

The hlack of heft is one of the things I didn't like about the Gerber Mark II that I had back in the 80's.  It like I was holding a wooden stick, instead of a knife.  I guess if you were a trained knife fighter, you might want that.  But for a field knife, which was what I was trying to use it as, it was pretty useless.  I sold it after a while and moved to KABAR.  I thought the KABAR was a much better field/fighing knife, a jack of all trades.

Dang you guys! I was in Crossville yesterday and stopped in an Antique store with my wife. Saw a couple of the Camillus Marine fighting knives and ended up picking up one of them. Camillus had the primary contract to make the MK II knife for the Navy and the Marines in WW II, through the Vietnam War and afterwards. It’s the same knife as the famous KABAR. I really have no idea why the KABAR is the more famous knife, other than there were fewer made. Anyway, this is a commercial version made in the 90s Or early 2000s. And before you ask, I’m a fan of Camillus knives. They were a great American knife company before mismanagement caused them to go under in 2007. 

d8iWYQg.jpg?3

edit: Figured it out!

Edited by Moped
  • Like 1
On 8/30/2020 at 11:40 AM, Moped said:

edit: I’d post a photo, but this is the hardest site I belong too, to post pics too. 😐

When you have your picture pulled up in your IMGUR account, just click COPY next to the “BBCode (message boards & forums)”, then  paste it into your post. (CTRL+V)

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

When you have your picture pulled up in your IMGUR account, just click COPY next to the “BBCode (message boards & forums)”, then  paste it into your post. (CTRL+V)

Figured it out.  Thanks for the help, Dave!

Edited by Moped
18 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Finally got to my mailbox to pick mine up. The knife is light, and very handy. The sheath is crap, but era correct. I’m quite happy with it. I’m probably gonna have a kydex sheath made for it that’ll mate up to my plate carrier. 

Thought the same thing. Mine is out getting a razor edge on it.

• Like 1
On 9/6/2020 at 1:51 PM, Chucktshoes said:

Finally got to my mailbox to pick mine up. The knife is light, and very handy. The sheath is crap, but era correct. I’m quite happy with it. I’m probably gonna have a kydex sheath made for it that’ll mate up to my plate carrier. 

Please let me know where you decide to have your kydex sheath made.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Ropin4gold said:

Buddy of mine has these, anyone know anything about them?

They look like Gerber MKII’s. But its tough to tell anything about them without being able to read all the markings. I downloaded the pic to try to blow it up, but the resolution is too low.

4 hours ago, DaveTN said:

Looks like the gray handled one might be a 1970 MARK II COMBAT. The black handled one appears to be a Guardian II made after 82 as a R.W Loveless knife.

Or is it Gerber Mk I? Pretty sure it is. The guard is the tip-off. The Guardian guard is not that big. The other two are clearly Mk IIs.

Edited by Moped
8 minutes ago, Moped said:

Or is it Gerber Mk I? Pretty sure it is. The guard is the tip-off. The Guardian guard is not that big. The other two are clearly Mk IIs.

In the second set of pics there is definitely a Mark I, the first set shows two Marks II’s of some variety.

• Like 1