Chuck’s night vision escapades (Formerly a question for the police.)

• Moderators

If you were to pull someone over in a rural area driving around with zero lights on and using NODs to see, what would you ticket them for?

No reason, just curious. 😇

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Haha 1
  • Moderators
4 minutes ago, Raoul said:

Driving while stupid and being a public nuisance?

Can’t seem to find the first one in the TCA so that is probably a good thing for a large chunk of the population. I have driven through every major city in the state ya know. There would be a lot of people in a whole lot of trouble if it really was an offense. 

The second isn’t a moving violation so who cares. 😆

• Like 1

I found this and think all states have something like it.

https://www.shouselaw.com/ca/defense/vehicle-code/24250/

California Vehicle Code 24250 VC - Tickets For Driving ...

Under California Vehicle Code 24250 VC, it's unlawful for motorists in California to drive "during darkness" without headlights.. There are five important points to know about this code section. The specific facts of a case will determine whether a driver is driving "during darkness" and therefore needs to operate a vehicle with headlights.
7 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

One of the reasons for requiring the use of headlights after dark is so that other drivers can see you. 

Yep, similar to the navigation lights on a boat, which in the boat's case, the sole reason.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
8 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

I'm not a cop, but 55-9-401a.

Or just FAILURE TO DO RIGHT ON SATURDAY NIGHT

Turns out it’s 55-9-402 and it’s a class C misdemeanor. So, $50 fine. 

I’m not saying I would engage in any such activity, but if I knew anybody that would (only on nearly deserted, very rural roads) it would be a decent idea to know the possible consequences. 😂😂

But yeah, I totally just dropped a massive chunk of change on a NVG setup. 

26 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I’m not saying I would engage in any such activity, but if I knew anybody that would (only on nearly deserted, very rural roads) it would be a decent idea to know the possible consequences. 😂😂

I would guess getting stopped by a game warden would have the possibility of being way more expensive than being stopped by a cop. Especially if you have a rifle in the vehicle. :)

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

I would guess getting stopped by a game warden would have the possibility of being way more expensive than being stopped by a cop. Especially if you have a rifle in the vehicle. :)

A rifle and spotlight will pay big dividend's to the county and state if a game warden catches you. I know a couple guys that got caught by a Game Wardens. They lost 2 really nice rifles. A really nice truck and both went to jail to post bond. They didn't know they were also be followed by the game warden with his lights off and he didn't turn on his rollers and spot lights till they had to spot light on a deer and were just about to shoot and before they could he scared the pee out of both of them The both ended up with 11/29 in jail lost truck and firearms and $1000.00 fines. Oh yea also lost hunting privilege's for 5 years in TN and surrounding states. Like Forrest Gump said, Stupid is as Stupid does!!! 

• Like 3
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

50 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

A rifle and spotlight will pay big dividend's to the county and state if a game warden catches you. I know a couple guys that got caught by a Game Wardens. They lost 2 really nice rifles. A really nice truck and both went to jail to post bond. They didn't know they were also be followed by the game warden with his lights off and he didn't turn on his rollers and spot lights till they had to spot light on a deer and were just about to shoot and before they could he scared the pee out of both of them The both ended up with 11/29 in jail lost truck and firearms and $1000.00 fines. Oh yea also lost hunting privilege's for 5 years in TN and surrounding states. Like Forrest Gump said, Stupid is as Stupid does!!! 

That’s a solid point. 

“I swear sir, I ain’t a huntin! I’m a LARPin!”

”You wanna try it? It’s a blast.”

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Believe me you would much rather be stopped by a County Mounty and a Game Warden at night if you have a rifle and a spot light in your vehicle. But then most County Mounties will just radio for a Game Warden to come and do all the arresting cause they are more up on those laws and it would save the County cop a ton of paperwork and his county will be reaping the rewards either way......LOL

On a serious note, if you want practice driving under nods, I’ve heard of guys with very mild off road vehicles (think Jeep on 33s or anything else with 2 inch lift) going on trail rides on VERY easy trails at night and driving the trails under nods instead of using all their lights.

I wouldn’t try driving under nods on a public road, anytime the lighting would be suitable, would be when it’s a higher possibility for a drunk driver to be out. I’d really hate to have to explain why you were driving total blackout and in that particular case, you just might end up being at fault instead of the drunk driver if he hit you.

There are trails in TN that you can do in a stock 4x4 vehicle. I’ve even seen them done in a Subaru and Honda CRV

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1