Chuck’s night vision escapades (Formerly a question for the police.)

9 hours ago, DaveTN said:

I would guess getting stopped by a game warden would have the possibility of being way more expensive than being stopped by a cop. Especially if you have a rifle in the vehicle. :)

They have a little switch in their trucks that kills all lights including the dash lights and they can drive like that. My little switch just kills the tail lights. 

• Like 1

Personally I think driving without headlights should be punishable by flogging. I see idiots every time I drive in the evening that don't have their lights on, and in the fog and pouring rain. Personally I WANT people to see me and maybe, just maybe stay on their side of the yellow line, which is a dream.

• Like 2
  • Moderators
On 7/25/2020 at 7:53 PM, gregintenn said:

On a serious note, I do not pretend to know the finer points of traffic law, but as I understand it, a guy with a CDL gets nailed much more severely than a guy with a regulation driver’s license for the same offense.

Didn’t catch this when you first posted it. You are correct, hence the reason I was enquiring. Some things that happen in a POV are treated the same as everyone else, but the points do carry over. Also, things like a a DUI have grave consequences for the CDL. On the flip side, some things that occur in a CMV (like weight or other CMV specific violations) have no affect on the regular portion of the license. I exist simultaneously in two worlds. 

2 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Didn’t catch this when you first posted it. You are correct, hence the reason I was enquiring. Some things that happen in a POV are treated the same as everyone else, but the points do carry over. Also, things like a a DUI have grave consequences for the CDL. On the flip side, some things that occur in a CMV (like weight or other CMV specific violations) have no affect on the regular portion of the license. I exist simultaneously in two worlds. 

I have one too, although I have no use for it, it was a job requirement.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • Moderators
13 minutes ago, btq96r said:

How's the depth perception on the ones you got?  That was always the limiting bit for the ones I had issued in the Army.  It makes bumps in the road a nice surprise. 

Only played with them a few minutes, but yeah. The depth perception isn’t as good as the natural eye. Something to definitely be mindful of. 

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, Shorty said:

What model are those?

They are Gen 3 Elbit thin filmed white phosphor tubes in an AB RNVG housing. Wilcox G-24 mount on a Hard Head Veterans ballistic helmet. 

Edited by Chucktshoes
4 hours ago, Shorty said:

What model are those?

4 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

They are Gen 3 Elbit thin filmed white phosphor tubes in an AB RNVG housing. Wilcox G-24 mount on a Hard Head Veterans ballistic helmet. 

You misunderstand...we want to know what model Hawaiian shirt you are wearing.

• Haha 1
  • 2 months later...
  • Moderators

So, I’ve been playing with my nods a bit since I last posted. Haven’t had any real opportunities for night shoots yet, but I gotta say that driving under them is a blast. 

I’ve changed up my helmet setup a bit and added some multicam wraps to them. Also got my night fighting rifle finished (minus the can held hostage by paperwork) so here how things look as of now. 

pTDB6j0.jpg
0WPy0DY.jpg
9H42zo1.jpg

WSSOJx7.jpg

jggNHtc.jpg

• Like 2

I know a guy that has taken some classes with that kind of setup. The shooting style in unorthodox by my experience, but effective. He's killed several hogs. My nightvision experience is with a pvs30 and thermal so my shooting technique hasn't changed much. 

Edited by alleycat72
  • Like 1

As a first time buyer, I think your experience / thoughts might be off great benefit for those who don’t currently have any.  Background about the selection process, tips, and lessons learned. Its not a topic that’s well covered without a metric ton on googling. 

I’ll have to check arfcom, maybe they have a forum, but its potentially a good subforum. 

• Like 2