Chuck’s night vision escapades (Formerly a question for the police.)

On 7/24/2020 at 5:24 PM, Chucktshoes said:

If you were to pull someone over in a rural area driving around with zero lights on and using NODs to see, what would you ticket them for?

No reason, just curious. 😇

I did not think about this while I was doing it 🙂 I have drove around my house with just my nods on and truck blacked out. I would like to try it with IR lights because I would have to imagine it's very much like daylight. I used mine to fish one night, pretty cool working a top water at night and seeing fish blow up on it.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
4 hours ago, Erich said:

As a first time buyer, I think your experience / thoughts might be off great benefit for those who don’t currently have any.  Background about the selection process, tips, and lessons learned. Its not a topic that’s well covered without a metric ton on googling. 

I’ll have to check arfcom, maybe they have a forum, but its potentially a good subforum. 

I think it might be a little premature to suggest that as a subforum, but I can definitely start a thread detailing my experiences as a first time buyer and how I made my decisions.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I think it might be a little premature to suggest that as a subforum, but I can definitely start a thread detailing my experiences as a first time buyer and how I made my decisions.

"How I made my decisions" 

Give me all of the stuff that poors can't even touch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • 7 months later...

Bringing this back up. We are wiring up a blackout switch for a buddy's truck. We've been using a small red light to drive by. Question is, do you guys trust the auto gating to keep the pvs14 safe in case someone puts headlights in his face? It'll only be used off road on multiple farms. 

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, alleycat72 said:

Bringing this back up. We are wiring up a blackout switch for a buddy's truck. We've been using a small red light to drive by. Question is, do you guys trust the auto gating to keep the pvs14 safe in case someone puts headlights in his face? It'll only be used off road on multiple farms. 

Yeah I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Just don’t go staring at the headlights. 

• 3 weeks later...

NVG has sparked my interest as of late. In some of my research, there seems to be a debate over dual tubes vs a single tube. One is obvious, dual tubes cost twice as much. The second is some say you have better depth perception running a single tube, and can help having one unaided eye to know how to stay in the shadows. 

One more thing as far as tactics go. Do you normally run your nods with the IR light on? Can you still see pretty well without the IR light? Reason I ask, if you are being pursued or pursuing somebody with nods, running the IR light is going to look like you are carrying a big spotlight to them. Then you have the issue of weapon mounted IR lasers. This will also give away your position pretty well to somebody else with nods. I guess at the end of the day, you are still better off with nods, even if you know your adversary also has nods, but you really should change your tactics accordingly.

Edited by m16ty