Fortunately I'm up early for a Steel Challenge match this A.M. and thought I'd check my email. Three hours ago [about 3:00 A.M.] I received an alert from "Freedom Munitions" they now have round nose, factory new, 115 grain in stock. At .43 cents a round pretty pricey but, what ya going to do, what if things continue and get worse? After my match today when I get home, I'm going to check and see if it's all sold out by then? Just a heads up.

Edit: Sure nuff, they were sold out that afternoon. They did still have some 115 grain hollow points for 50 something cents a round though. Now every double tap I shoot I'll be thinking, dollar, dollar, dollar...

Edited by Dennis1209
  • Wow 1
21 hours ago, Raoul said:

Crazy prices. Having lived through the Obamazination I'm adequately prepared. Let me say again, learn to reload. I'm still seeing an asston of empty brass on the ground. 

I have a couple of buddies that reload, and I thought I'd buy me the Dillon equipment to start reloading myself during the two year Obamazation shortage. Along with no one being able to obtain ammo, no one could find powder or primers for reloading, so everyone was still in the same boat. It's more expensive but, it's just easier for me to stock up on ammo rather than everything needed to reload. And at my age, I only have so many bend overs to pick up casings, maybe 4 or five? 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Dennis1209 said:

It's more expensive but, it's just easier for me to stock up on ammo rather than everything needed to reload.

Yea it certainly is more expensive, granted I cast my own lead bullets. But I can load 9mm, .38 special, .40 S&W and .45 acp for about a nickel a round. That would be $2.50 per 50 round box or a savings of 63,8% based on the 9mm I just purchased. And btw I don't even own a 9mm, got that for my son.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Raoul said:

Let me say again, learn to reload.

Mr. Slick Willy Clinton got me into reloading years ago. When I heard they were trying to make primers with a specified life span it got me to thinking a nice pistol, rifle or shotgun would be a very poor weapon without ammo. A 2 Iron would be much more efficient. So I started reloading, 1 reason I never have been fond of .22 WMR, I can load lots of more powerful ammo cheaper. Hey Raoul you aren't the one picking up Dennis brass are you? LOL

Edited by Dirtshooter
  • Haha 2
4 minutes ago, Dirtshooter said:

Mr. Slick Willy Clinton got me into reloading years ago. When I heard they were trying to make primers with a specified life span it got me to thinking a nice pistol, rifle or shotgun would be a very poor weapon without ammo. A 2 Iron would be much more efficient. So I started reloading, 1 reason I never have been fond of .22 WMR, I can load lots of more powerful ammo cheaper. Hey Raoul you aren't the one picking up Dennis brass are you? LOL

Once upon a time I was a serious brass picker. I've still got a bunch and an adequate amount of loaded. 

I had a friend back a few years that him and his dad would reload .45acp on a Dillon Square deal and his dad would tell Paul, hey we got some empty brass that needs to be filled. It really bugged him that they had brass that needed to be loaded. I like to keep a good bit loaded also,and it sure is nice in these panic times to go out and leisurely crank out 500 rounds of .38 just to go plinking with.

8 hours ago, MacGyver said:

Man, I might throw rocks before I paid $0.43/round for 9mm.

I said something similar as I was walking out of Walmart with my limit of one little package of hamburger at twice the normal price. Speaking of price and availability of products; for a number of reasons I think what we're experiencing is going to be the new normal, or at the very least last a long time? 

Just like famine, it's not that food isn't available, it's the price that is prohibitive or government / controlling forces restricting it. This time next year in hindsight, I could be thinking what a bargain 9mm was for $0.43 per round was, I wish I had bought more.  

8/22/2021 USPSA / IDPA: Due to shortages and the overwhelming amount of requests, we have added three new divisions; spear chucking (SC), optical sling shot (OSS) and tactical target rock (TTR). Rock can only be made of [insert material here], weigh no more than 4 ounces, a diameter of no more than 0.50 inches, with a PF of no more than a Nolan Ryan fastball. Wind ups and hesitations are prohibited in Production and Carry Rock (CR) divisions. Exceptions: Super seniors may wind up as they hesitate because of their age; unintentional trips and falls to the ground, there will be a three second procedural, and no longer a D.Q. as long as the rock doesn't break the 180 rule or is discharged. 

Yea, I got better things to do, but I'm waiting for daylight 😆

Edited by Dennis1209
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was in BassPro in Bristol today and they had the Remington UMC brass cased 9mm 50 round boxes. Limit 5. I walked out with 5 and a box of Tulsa SP 7.62x39. Probably had 20 more boxes if 9mm, several 50 and 100 round boxes of .40. and some .44. Even had some .308, but it was hunting ammo, so more than I wanted to pay. Only ammo with limits was 9mm and .223/5.56.

I did see 3 boxes of .223 Match on the counter that I think someone had held. At $28 a box I was not interested. Interestingly the guy said the .380 went the fastest of all he put out. 

On 7/27/2020 at 7:26 PM, Dennis1209 said:

I have a couple of buddies that reload, and I thought I'd buy me the Dillon equipment to start reloading myself during the two year Obamazation shortage. Along with no one being able to obtain ammo, no one could find powder or primers for reloading, so everyone was still in the same boat. It's more expensive but, it's just easier for me to stock up on ammo rather than everything needed to reload. And at my age, I only have so many bend overs to pick up casings, maybe 4 or five? 

Bend over? Surely you jest! I can...but I don't if at all possible. I'll have my back in so much pain that I'll be on the heat/cold routine for days afterwards. 

I wish I'd done more of everything when I could have.

On 8/4/2020 at 7:35 PM, deerslayer said:

I think I still have one or two 20 round boxes left from a 1K case of Winchester Q3131 5.56 55 gr. FMJ that I bought at Guns & Ammo back in the day for $109.  The good ol days.  

Back in the day: I vividly remember my grandfather buying me my first hunting rifle to go squirrel hunting with him; a brand new Steven's .22 LR. I'd walk the streets around where I lived and pick up soda bottles, cash them in for 2 cents each. When I visited and spent the weekend with my grandparents, I'd walk the two miles or so to the Western Auto store. At 12 years old, I'd walk up to the ammo / gun counter and say give me two boxes of .22 LR, and put my two quarters on the counter. Back then if memory serves, if I had the money, at twelve years old I think I could have purchased my own rifle or shotgun on my own? Look at where we are today...

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

Back in the day: I vividly remember my grandfather buying me my first hunting rifle to go squirrel hunting with him; a brand new Steven's .22 LR. I'd walk the streets around where I lived and pick up soda bottles, cash them in for 2 cents each. When I visited and spent the weekend with my grandparents, I'd walk the two miles or so to the Western Auto store. At 12 years old, I'd walk up to the ammo / gun counter and say give me two boxes of .22 LR, and put my two quarters on the counter. Back then if memory serves, if I had the money, at twelve years old I think I could have purchased my own rifle or shotgun on my own? Look at where we are today...

I had a similar situation.

In about 1965 or '66 I went into Mr. Curry's Western Auto. I was always in there ogling his guns & knives displays.

He let me put a 16 g. H&R Single barrel on layaway (he may have called my Father about it, but I don't know for certain).

As I had a full-time job, I paid it off in just 6 weeks. iirc it was around $30.00.  He gave me a box of birdshot at no extra charge when I picked it up.

I was either 11 or 12. I still have that shotgun and treasure it.

The Past was a very different world.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
43 minutes ago, Jamie Jackson said:

I had a similar situation.

In about 1965 or '66 I went into Mr. Curry's Western Auto. I was always in there ogling his guns & knives displays.

He let me put a 16 g. H&R Single barrel on layaway (he may have called my Father about it, but I don't know for certain).

As I had a full-time job, I paid it off in just 6 weeks. iirc it was around $30.00.  He gave me a box of birdshot at no extra charge when I picked it up.

I was either 11 or 12. I still have that shotgun and treasure it.

The Past was a very different world.

Very different, just not in buying the gun. Sounds like Mr. Curry enjoyed seeing someone your age take responsibility and follow through. Very possibly why he tossed in the bird-shot. Today most people are too worried about letting their kids "be kids" or just too busy to pay attention to them that most kids think loading the dishwasher is hard work. They also do not understand the value of the house they live in, food they eat, or electricity that lights and heats/cools the house, Money is just something they "have" without knowing how to get it beyond a hand out. It is hard to break through all the fake Instagram and Facebook images to teach my kids this. I try though because my parents never let us go hungry or know how tight things were, but we were expected to work when asked and rewarded for good work. I remember helping my Dad on some side job. Maybe it was hanging a ceiling fan in some guy's garage. I was more the age for "hand me a tool" than "climb up on the ladder and do that", but I remember the candy bar, RC Cola, and comic book we picked up at the gas station on the way home. It was a big deal to me. That meant when Dad got me a temp job for a few day with a neighbor that built houses just after I graduated high school, I worked my butt off unload trucks, cleaning up scrap, and whatever I was asked to do. No way was I reflecting bad on Dad. 

• Like 3