Small pistoll primers selling for $100.00 per 1000 on GB

Guest BCR#1

2 hours ago, seez52 said:

I lucked into some at Academy about two weeks ago. Small pistol primers were around $4/100 and on sale so I got them for $2.99/ 100. I couldn't believe it. 

I didn't even know you could buy them by the 100.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, rab said:

I have not been able to find any thread on any site that give a good reason for the shortage of small rifle primers. What is your thoughts?

Gun owners are the reason.  It’s really that simple.  They are in fact an hysterical bunch when it comes to components...and ammo availability.

The record guns sales we’ve seen in the last 6 months has nothing to do with the availability of reloading components.  Most new gun owners don’t know jack about ammo, much less making their own.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Garufa said:

Gun owners are the reason.  It’s really that simple.  They are in fact an hysterical bunch when it comes to components...and ammo availability.

The record guns sales we’ve seen in the last 6 months has nothing to do with the availability of reloading components.  Most new gun owners don’t know jack about ammo, much less making their own.

Nail on the head. What we’re seeing now as well is folks bot monitoring websites, auto buying in some cases, and then reselling on Gunbroker for 1000% retail.

Rab, it boils down to people that were not prepared, as in they didn't have the components at their house to load what they were planning on shooting in the next 6 months. I haven't purchased any primers, powder, bullets since about 2014 or so. Just picked a box of spp off the shelf dated 2-2012. If you are going to shoot with any regularity, you need to have either the factory made ammo or the components to load your own. It is that simple. We gun owners are sometimes our worst enemy. It's like this, something happens to trigger a rush of the stores, we may be sitting on thousands of loaded rounds or thousands of primers, but we go Hey go buy some more _______. It has been especially bad this time. I heard if President Trump wins it will be next spring before you start seeing stock on the shelves and next fall before the prices start to drop. If Biden wins, start stockpiling ball bearings to shoot in a slingshot!!

Edited by Dirtshooter
  • Like 2
On 9/4/2020 at 6:39 PM, rab said:

I have not been able to find any thread on any site that give a good reason for the shortage of small rifle primers. What is your thoughts?

Some USPSA Open division shooters loading 9mm or .38 Super to major power factor use small rifle primers.  Granted, we are talking about a small group, but they shoot and buy in large quantities.  I have some small rifle primers and a couple friends who shoot Open are highly interested in them.  

Edited by deerslayer

Thanks all for the input. I have a small amount of small rifle primers remaining,more than likely get me though the year with the rounds loaded with out a problem. I only shoot about 200 rounds a month,but still like to pick up supply when I see them. Did find a fair deal on #8 of powder on line. I was just wondering.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/6/2020 at 9:11 AM, deerslayer said:

Some USPSA Open division shooters loading 9mm or .38 Super to major power factor use small rifle primers.  Granted, we are talking about a small group, but they shoot and buy in large quantities.  I have some small rifle primers and a couple friends who shoot Open are highly interested in them.  

I have used small rifle in pistol many times in the past without any ill side effects. I have read in the past that you can't use pistol primers in rifle though. Not sure why and have never tried that. Unrelated to this particular post, but I just loaded some 6.5 creedmoor with Magnum LR along side with regular LR primers with the exact same load and over a magnetospeed they were pretty much dead nuts to each other in velocity and point of impact. Take all that with a grain of salt, use at your own risk etc, etc......

2 hours ago, seez52 said:

Supposedly rifle primers are thicker or in some way designed to withstand higher pressures than pistol primers. I've never tried switching them around so I have no personal experience. 

I believe the cups of rifle primers are thicker to lessen the chances of puncture.

• Like 1

I still wonder how these Gunbroker sellers are shipping their primers.  Primers are hazmat and there are hoops to jump through to become a legit hazmat shipper.  If somebody ships hazmat stuff and is not a hazmat shipper, they can end up in all kinds of federal felony hot water.  There were lots of new rules created after the Valujet crash 20 some odd years ago.