280 Remington in a Rebarreled 1917??? Possibly a 1893 Mauser? Ammo Suggestions

19_A_CPT

Ran across a rifle and caliber combination that ive always liked for sale. Initial inspection points toward a Eddystone or comparable 1917 rebarreled to a 280 Remington based on the wide floorplate and the bolt but possibly a Mauser 93 after looking at the end of the bolt, safety and the trigger.. Bottom line, ive not seen it in person so im unsure but would be ok with either. 

I shot a 1917 Eddystone 30-06 for about 15 years before it was stolen , but Always heard the 280 was one of the best of both worlds. 

Anybody have any other suggestions on what this gun is if its not what I am thinking it is. I have not held it in my hands yet, but from the pictures, i think thats what it is. The young man that has it really has no clue what it is other than a 280. 

Also anybody with experience shooting the 280 Remington and reloading or can recommend their favorite ammo combo in it? I am use to shooting a 30-06 and love the versatility of it, but after 20 years, I figured i might try a different breed. Will be primarily a White Tail gun with the occasional elk and mule deer in its crosshairs. Recommendations ? 

280 1.jpg

280 2.jpg

Edited by 19_A_CPT
  • Like 1

There should be visible markings to tell you if it's a m1917 or a rare and desirable Remington Model 30.  Either way, it was definitely re-barrelled.

I don't know much about the .280 cartridge other than a brief read on the 'net.  But the M1917 or 30 action is VERY strong and will allow very heavy loading of the cartridge.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I’ve had trouble finding an inaccurate 280 load. The Remington 140 grain cor loct factory ammo is a very accurate round. The 140 grain bullet of your choice atop IMR 4350 powder is a great starting place for hand loading.

I bet i've tried 5 or 6 different brands of .280 and this is the load I settled on as well.  As a side bar, I bought for friends a .270 and a '06.  Mounted scopes, did a break in, and shot multiple brands in both of those guns. Both shot the Cor Lok the best.  Bought 10 boxes of same lot numbers and lived happily everafter.

• Like 1