Need a Knife RECOMMENDATION

I'm looking for a small pocket knife.  I already have a couple good size clip-on knives I EDC, but  need a very small non-clip on.  Can be an assisted open, or auto, but if its an auto, Id prefer a safety.  Looking for a blade smaller than 2", with overall size of the handle not much more than twice the blade length.  Prefer under 100 bucks, but i can go higher. This will be a daily use knife.  Been looking online and just cant find what Im looking for. What do y'all recommend?

EDIT:  I should have said I prefer auto or assisted opening as I have trouble opening others.  I used to love the swiss style but just cant use them anymore.

Edited by Defender

Thanks, all.  I ran across this one that I kinda like. BEAR OPS MINI BOLD ACTION III AUTOMATIC KNIFE BLACK 14C28N STEEL BLADE BLACK ALUMINUM HANDLE Anyone familiar with it or the brand?  Wish I could find a place locally that had some i like as i hate ordering online.

Edited by Defender
Added missing info
  • Admin Team

I'm obviously a Swiss Army knife fan.  But, I love some of the classic slip joints that Great Eastern Cutlery has been issuing over the last few years.

One of my current favorites is their #62 pocket carver: https://www.dlttrading.com/great-eastern-62-farm-field-pocket-carver-natural-linen-micarta-526

My all time favorite of theirs is a reworked sodbuster that Smith and Sons regularly puts out and calls the mudbug: https://smithandsonsknives.wazala.com/category/available-now/

Those are both 1095 carbon steel - so they're pretty easy to get blisteringly sharp.

• Like 2
  • Admin Team

14C28N hasn't been universally well received.  It was developed for Kershaw who wanted something with corrosion resistance.  It doesn't have the best edge retention qualities.

Honestly, if I were going to go with an automatic - I'd probably stick to one of the known brands to avoid disappointment.

• Like 1

For a small blade, I carry a Buck 55.

When looking for a small knife of that sort, nearly every “review” or description of that type of knife (one without a thumb stud or flipper, nail knick only) it’s said it cannot be opened or closed one handed. It’s absolute BS. Same is said for this particular knife with the lockback release at the end of the handle away from the blade pivot. I do it all the time, actually it’s nearly always opened and closed one handed.

I have carried a Case Peanut also, very nice. Although I would say the peanut is best for light cutting jobs only such as paper or opening packages. The blades are thin but sharp and excellent for cutting/slicing, but not much else.

If going with an automatic, I wouldn’t touch anything except Protech or Microtech. And I don’t thing Microtech makes anything like you are looking for.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Defender said:

Thanks, all.  I ran across this one that I kinda like. BEAR OPS MINI BOLD ACTION III AUTOMATIC KNIFE BLACK 14C28N STEEL BLADE BLACK ALUMINUM HANDLE Anyone familiar with it or the brand?  Wish I could find a place locally that had some i like as i hate ordering online.

Nice looking piece. I sort of favored the Bold Action Xll Tanto myself. But that's just me.

If you get in the mood for another auto...look into the Kalishnakov  Autos. I've had 2 and for 40 or so apiece, they've been pretty good carry pieces. but I don't do much more than cut paper or open boxes with them.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1
36 minutes ago, Jeb48 said:

I carried a small Buck knife for 30+ years but there was enough times that I wanted to open it while holding something I switched 2 years ago to a Kershaw 1600. It does have a clip but if it is in the way it can be removed easily. $40
 https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Pocket-Speedsafe-Assisted-Opening/dp/B084B64QN9

I got a Buck light when they first came out in the 80s, as a parachute rigger I had to open my knife hundreds of times a day. Back in those days autos were illegal, even for us military guys, so we either left them open on the table or found a way to open them quickly, so I learned to open most of these locking blades by flicking them.

2 hours ago, Omega said:

I got a Buck light when they first came out in the 80s, as a parachute rigger I had to open my knife hundreds of times a day. Back in those days autos were illegal, even for us military guys, so we either left them open on the table or found a way to open them quickly, so I learned to open most of these locking blades by flicking them.

I had several Buck Lights back in the 80’s. One of my favorite knives. 

I never carried a knife as a young man. But as I got older, either I got weaker or packaging became much tougher. Some of these packages is like trying to rip a phone book in half.

For years I carried the GERBER F.A.S.T. assisted opening below. I’ve never been disappointed by a Gerber product and the assisted openers may be something you might want to check out. They aren’t very expensive; but the quality is there.

A couple of years ago I decided to go to an auto knife, because they finally had something that meet my requirements. I didn’t want a safety. Using a safety on an auto knife didn’t make sense to me; an assisted would be faster than messing with a safety. (But that just me). But I wanted to be able to put it in my pocket without worrying about it opening. For that I chose the Pro-Tech Magic BR-1 "Whiskers" shown below. I slide it in my pocket and clip over the edge of the pocket. I don’t think this knife would ever open accidentally (it never has being carried daily). It takes a very deliberate action to open it. Most people that aren’t familiar with it can’t open it when they are trying, until they are shown how it works. I think it’s a very cool idea on a release.

When I ravel I can’t carry an auto-knife. For that I have my little Gerber Paraframe mini. I know you said you have trouble opening manuals, but you might want to check this out, it opens pretty easy. They have an MSRP of $14.00, but I picked mine up at Rural King for $9.99; they sell them most everywhere. I was surprised at how sharp it was and the quality for the price. I figured when it got dull or wore out I would just replace it, but it been a few years and still going strong.

GERBER FAST assisted opening:

2E8DH49.jpg

Pro-Tech Magic "Whiskers" BR-1.7

B9OS88q.jpg

Gerber Mini Paraframe

GdNHtua.jpg

• Like 2

Having good experience with my CRKT M16-14 (T) I bought the M16-10 (ksf) for my front pocket.

Removed the clip.

Easy open, stays closed.

I think it was $30 at SMKW

Warning - it's an open body, so loose  change will wedge between the blade and frame. Could jam and is probably damaging the edge. (I no longer put change in that pocket)

• Like 1